Does 700k buys only confirm that the majority of people really dont care about anti doping?

Verace

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score

All Ad Hominem comments shall be ignored. I know its luke thomas, but the argument either stands on its own or it doesnt, so save it luke haters.

Where are all the people who said they would boycott the event? Id like to see their faces reading this, because their abcence certainly didnt make a dent.

Why even have USADA around at this point?
It only destroys events by increasing the number of injuries and suspending fighters we wanted to see performing.

People dont seem to care. Its only a loud minority.
This was the biggest scandal involving anti-doping ever in the ufc. It had jeff doing a 2 hour damage control report on the biggest podcast in the world. No difference in buys. Actually it probably increased.

Whats your takeway?

Last edited:
Nobody cares about steroids because everybody in every professional sport is on PEDs. People probably prefer it if athletes are on them because it's a better product.

also in b4 hUEeheHe SJw cUck thOmAs

Alternatively, the scandal attracted people's attention and added interest to the fight. Nobody was expecting a mass boycott, right? It doesn't confirm anything about whether or not people care about doping.

No sports fan has actually cared about doping since the doping scandals of the early 2000s.
And with few exceptions here, no one here actually cares about it either. MMA fans just like to be outraged about stuff. As a whole sports fans just care about a good product. Its a television program at the end of the day. Its entertainment.

Casuals and most hardcore fans love Jon Jones, evidenced by the warm welcome he receives in public and at weigh ins.

A small minority of bitter older men on sherdog do not affect his popularity

Jones is innnocent and I’m glad the PPV numbers didn’t suffer because of the haters trying to tarnish the goat’s rep

It confirms that people are drawn in by drama and great performances.

Alternatively, the scandal attracted people's attention and added interest to the fight. Nobody was expecting a mass boycott, right? It doesn't confirm anything about whether or not people care about doping.
Aside from the first day the move was announced, there was like no coverage or mention of this stuff on major sports news channels or radio. No one cared.

All of the controversy surrounding Jones' failed tests increased the PPV buys because people were hoping to see a natty beat a cheater.

Unfortunately that's not what happened.

All it proves is that Jones is a star. Did roids prevent people from watching Brock?

Doping Drama + the aura of the 1st Gus vs Jones fight is what sold

And don't forget, Cyborg and Nunes also brought in big numbers. Cyborg's PPV numbers were pretty high (380k for UFC 219 & 260k for UFC 222)

Terrible example. Jones vs Gustafsson is somewhat the biggest LHW fight of the current MMA era (apart from Jones-DC).

Or it shows that people are gullible

Jones is innnocent and I’m glad the PPV numbers didn’t suffer because of the haters trying to tarnish the goat’s rep

No one needs to try to tarnish Jon’s rep. Jon has show that he is more than capable of destroying it all on his own.

How would this one fight prove anything, other than a lot of people tuned in to see Jones vs Gustaffson?
Do I give a shit about Jones vs Smith, if it happens? Yes! Because that roiding cheat is finally gonna get his ass kicked!

Edit
I meant to say no, but my anti Jones instincts kicked in.
That fight did have a big controversy leading into the event - but it was still a rivalry kind of fight.
If it's all about the controversy (or mostly), then Jones should be able to carry some cards on his own name, now.

Think he will? I have doubts, but we'll see.

Last edited:
It is still a huge fight. I am not surprised. I am against PED use personally, but that is never going to stop me from watching sports I love.

All of the controversy surrounding Jones' failed tests increased the PPV buys because people were hoping to see a natty beat a cheater.

Unfortunately that's not what happened.
Maybe it helped a little. But this card was always bound to do well because Jones' numbers have been growing with every card.

No sports fan has actually cared about doping since the doping scandals of the early 2000s.
And with few exceptions here, no one here actually cares about it either. MMA fans just like to be outraged about stuff. As a whole sports fans just care about a good product. Its a television program at the end of the day. Its entertainment.
Hulk Hogan's hearing P4P most powerful moment in all of sports entertainment history.

Back