International Do you support allowing Chinese EVs into the US without tariffs?

F1980

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I keep seeing EV reviews on Youtube of Chinese cars. The general consensus is that they are very well made and most countries have had them for some time now. There's only a handful of countries in the world that do not allow them into. They are very cheap compared to American or European made cars.

I am in the trades. I've worked in factories and construction. I have many years on my belt as a fabricator and machinist and brand new cars shouldn't be costing people over $15k. I blame the greedy corporations and the auto unions for the sky high cost of new vehicles in the US. I am assuming they are fighting tooth and nail to stop Chinese EVs from entering the US because that will literally spell doom for all of them. Why buy a car for $30k when you can buy one for $10k.

They are good for the environment, they are affordable for the population, and a lot of people want them. They are already a shit ton of them in Mexico, and pretty much everywhere except the US and a few other countries.

They are using slave labor and creating these obscene junk yards.

They do this to claim they are the largest manufacturer. China is asshole.

This is fake. It's just a junkyard where they got rid of the previous generation when they upgraded the whole fleet. It's also multiple cars from different rideshare companies. Some of them went bankrupt. Anyways it is just cars in a junkyard. They debunked this already.

Edit: NVM I didn't realize you posted two videos with opposing view points.

Last edited:
This is fake. It's just a junkyard where they got rid of the previous generation when they upgraded the whole fleet. It's also multiple cars from different rideshare companies. Some of them went bankrupt. Anyways it is just cars in a junkyard. They debunked this already.

That is one nice well maintained junkyard

That is one nice well maintained junkyard
The truth highlights an issue with EVs. The tech is changing rapidly like when smart phones first came out. The older models are too new to just crush and recycle but very inferior in terms of battery life when compared to the newer models that are coming out. There should to be a plan to repurpose those cars with newer batteries. It might be even cheaper just to junk the vehicle than try to repurpose it.

I don’t understand why we all aren’t driving go carts or golf carts. We could double lane capacity if that were the case.
That is not American. We need big for everything. Our engine size for cars is usually much larger vs other countries. I didn't notice this until I traveled to Europe. I think Asia should be the same. Our cars are also much bigger.

The truth highlights an issue with EVs. The tech is changing rapidly like when smart phones first came out. The older models are too new to just crush and recycle but very inferior in terms of battery life when compared to the newer models that are coming out. There should to be a plan to repurpose those cars with newer batteries. It might be even cheaper just to junk the vehicle than try to repurpose it.

this is so odd, the first gen nissan leaf had lame battery life as well, but I never heard of mass disposal. Due to the way the batteries are housed, only a certain size would fit, so probably best to dump the cars, but the batteries themselves are likely to be reused, as that's a big thing there.

if BYD or whatever chinese company were to bring to the US, it might be a completely different car made for this market to pass these standards and for the tastes of americans. As you noticed in your other post, the same style of vehicle can vary greatly in different countries.

Some are, some are perfectly ok. It depends on the makers, target markets and prices.

The GWM and BYD models sold in Brazil for example performed well in safety tests.
- I've seen their deluxe SUV on insta. That car is so pretty. Looks like a car made before 2008. They also have a lambo looking car.

Crippling our auto industry sounds like a great plan…
- I get the protect the intrernal industrie. It's the governament job, to protect merican internal jobs.

There's no way the actual american manufactures compete against Chinese or even japanese cars. Guys are forgeting that our legislators literally gave a slow death to our auto-industry, to protect the bigger manufactures, they killed all the small ones. That didnt occur on China for exaple, they have top enginers.

If they build them in USA, sure.
If not... fuck no.

As much as I'd love to see them eat Elon's lunch, allowing these free access while running domestically at a huge disadvantage (being that folks making EV's here actually have to pay a living wage to their workforce) would be incredibly destabilizing.

I don't know the exact number that would even the playing field, but 100% tariffs would be a good start.

Need to get of the stupid 25% tax first so Toyota can sell the Hilux here.
Strange segue, but.... OK.

The Hilux needs to add some standard safety gear, and elongate that whack box. It's not like Toyota has a problem selling vehicles in North America.

Back