Do you ever wish Jiu-Jitsu had a different name?

the ignorance of others shouldn't effect the pride you take in your martial arts man

no because then we would have to call it jujitsu, because it all started there. then we would degrade a good thread into a jiu-jitsu vs. luta livre thread and you would have to go fuck yourself.

much easier to stay on topic.

a nice use of someone else's flame... I approve and so does Arnold

arnold%20thumbs%20up.jpg

LOL! back to the topic....

We could call it ultimate judo..

if they're noobs -- i say wrestling

if they have some knowledge -- tell em bjj

i've run into a problem with people saying it back to me. i'll be like "i'm off to jiu jitsu" and they will say "what's joo ditsoo?" that is when i turn and walk away and end the friendship.

I usually just say I do submission wrestling or submission grappling to people that don't know what BJJ is.

thats what i say .

its hard when you say judo or jiu jitsu cuz you get stupid remarks like ohh so you can "kick my head off "or they start laughing and say " judo chop!!"

Ever talk about it with someone completely ignorant ?? i was at a party once and i was talking to my bud and i said " i had him in full mount " and another guy from out of nowhere says " full mount ?? what kind of gay shit do you do ??"
and he started laughing looking around for others to laugh with him .. no one did and it got kinda quiet and i replyed " it isnt gay when iam trying to break your arm ...." he kinda just nervously laughed and started another conversation with someone else .

I call it "submission wrestling", "grappling" or "Brazilian Jiu Jitsu".

To follow-up questions I usually just reply: "It's a kind of wrestling where you win by chokes and joint locks". Most people seem to get it.

I don't care if someone hears Jiu-jitsu and thinks karate kid. But people who have SOME limited knowledge about BJJ always bring up the UFC, and ask when I am going to start fighting in the UFC. I once mentioned I had a MMA fight (with a friend that trains, nothing serious). Still paying for it :/

So I tell people that I wrestle, and don't mention anything that they might connect with UFC, where you are allowed to kill people.

I see what you're saying. People always ask "so is that like kicking and stuff? Tae Kwan Do?" I just tell most people i wrestle, it's a lot easier then explaining it every time.

From most people; Jiu jitsu, what's that?
Me; It's kinda like wrestling... it's ground fighting, but instead of trying to pin someone, you're trying to break bones or choke them unconscious.
Them; You're kind of a violent guy, aren't you?

-CP

I refuse to say I do martial arts ... way too many bad connotations. I just call it wrestling.

EXACTLY, idiots always lump it together with Karate or TKD, I no longer refer to myself as a martial artist to most people due to negative connotations/stereotypes, I usually call myself a combat athlete. I usually tell people that I'm a grappler first (and they i clarify afterwards that i'm from a BJJ school)

I have a hard time explaining to my family that I'm doing Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu because I don't know how to say it in Chinese, so I just tell them it's a Brazilian version of Judo.

I refuse to say I do martial arts ... way too many bad connotations. I just call it wrestling.

Yeah, I'll sometimes go with "submission wrestling." I once told a lady in my gym I trained MMA and she said, "Oh, my 10 year old does karate. Maybe he could go to your gym." I just looked at her and said, "It's not really the same thing." There are so many misconceptions.

yea i hate saying i do BJJ and getting a dumbfounded look in response, then having to say, "it's like wrestling..."

i have to say that i hate it when i tell somone that i do jiu-jitsu and they come back with some silly shit like "Really? my son does karate". it has always bugged me that the average joe's first thoguht goes towards TMA. wrestlers & boxers don't have to deal with that shit.

But that bitch in an armbar

I've trained in Judo (for 8 yrs) and Shotokan Karate-JKA (for just over a year) and, to be honest, I could really care less what people think. Most people aren't familiar enough with Judo to really comment or know what to ask, but most know of karate, which is where the comments usually start. Every martial art that they have seen in the movies get collapsed into the term "karate." I've had friends and friends of the family ask questions about them sometimes, but I often find its more just out of curiosity because they don't know. At any rate, its nothing to get upset about...

I think the name is perfect. I don't talk about my training with non grapplers really, they just don't get it and the immediately think something along the lines of "oh you do that UFC shit? That's bad ass!" Yeah, I guess...:rolleyes:

Its not something I really talk about with other people because they just don't get it and they will never get it unless they train.

Also they try to do some lame ass version of a kick or punch when they see you. It is funny as hell though to see a 45 year old fat math professor trying to kick while holding his leg so he does not fall. I usually don't tell anyone any more what I do. If people ask me about my hobbies I just say I work out which they can tell anyway. Of course you also hear dumb comments about working out since all they know about are bicep curls and bench press.

I think the name is perfect. I don't talk about my training with non grapplers really, they just don't get it and the immediately think something along the lines of "oh you do that UFC shit? That's bad ass!" Yeah, I guess...:rolleyes:

Its not something I really talk about with other people because they just don't get it and they will never get it unless they train.

Also they try to do some lame ass version of a kick or punch when they see you. It is funny as hell though to see a 45 year old fat math professor trying to kick while holding his leg so he does not fall. I usually don't tell anyone any more what I do. If people ask me about my hobbies I just say I work out which they can tell anyway. Of course you also hear dumb comments about working out since all they know about are bicep curls and bench press.

Back