Do you ever wish Jiu-Jitsu had a different name?

I can't say I really care. I prefer not to talk about training with anyone who doesn't train anyways, I actually purposefully avoid it. When it does come up (cause it is a big part of my life) I just say grappling. Unfortunately they usually say "what's that?" In which case I have to say "you know wrestling, like actual wrestling? well its you know, related to that."

Actually I have a question of my own. What short response should I say if they say "what's that?"? Im not totally satisfied with the answer I give, mainly b/c they mite misinterpret it for ProWrestling, and its also unclear otherwise.

you are crying about that?

imagine being asian, people STILL come up to me and ask if i know kung fu...STRANGERS, not people i im having a conversations with.

although i do wish it was a different name...i just don't like saying it. now i just say grappling, and it's more appropriate, because i don't train in the GI that much.

I refuse to say I do martial arts ... way too many bad connotations. I just call it wrestling.

yeah.me too.bcoz malay people dont know what bjj or jiu-jitsu is.sometimes i just say i train judo :icon_chee

you are crying about that?

imagine being asian, people STILL come up to me and ask if i know kung fu...STRANGERS, not people i im having a conversations with.

Do they do the karate kid crane stance and make bruce lee noises at you? I've gotten that before

jiu jitsu is perfect. it is what it is. brazilian jiu jitsu sounds even better. i personally think it sounds much better than "wrestling", "grappling" or "submission wrestling", etc.

I think some people will be idiot and say stupid stuff like that for no reason anyways. You could say "I'm the light heavyweight champion of Pride." and people could turn that around on you with "yeah, gay pride." or something else just as retarded. Don't let morons bother you.

I hate when people give me the fifth degree when they have no intention of every trying the sport out.

I refuse to say I do martial arts ... way too many bad connotations. I just call it wrestling.

I usually call it grappling. Then if they're say "Like wrestling?" I can just say "Kind of"

whenever i say "brazilian jiu jitsu" people say, "oh...capoeira?"

just can't win.

here its worse, usually if you say you practice JJ, people think you are those huge massive idiots who go to clubs and beat up gay people, or are those "vale-tudo" animals, but a lot of people know the gracies and stuff

Depending on how you define the term "TMA" it is one. Its older than TKD. and why are you bitching about people not knowing as much about your sport as you do?

Obviously if you get it a lot it means you are in a good position to explain the difference to people, but in reality you will find no one gives a damn. There is a good chance they are just being polite and making conversation.

just can't win.

People in your area know capoeira but not BJJ? :icon_conf

hell yeah. whether i'm in japan or in california, everyone always asks if brazilian jiu jitsu = capoeira. you know why?

eddy fucking gordo. from tekken.

i prefer to tell non-grapplers that i stick my face in other men's crotches whilst wearing a dressing gown.
they laugh.
i sweep them.
they stop.

I made the unfortunate remarks to a co worker and told him that I had a purple belt in Jiujitsu.

He told me his Sifu thought he could get his brown belt this year if he was able to open up his sixth charkra.

I said ... Yeah I guess thats why I am not brown either.

just can't win.

Yeah- same here. I swear this only happens to me because my girlfriend started a capoeira club at our university so when I tell people I do Brazilian Jiu Jitsu their response is usually "is that the dance one?"

Now I'm not the world's BEST dancer but if I ever tried that in a nightclub I'd end up looking like a spazz/rapist/homosexual... depending on whether or not I have a partner and what gender they are.

Funny thing is that her capoeira teacher was a blue in BJJ and used to fight MMA from time to time.

The alternatives are Jiu Jitsu (I'm not a ten year old doing traditional jiu jitsu), BJJ (which is only ONE letter from BJ and the laughing is ok at first but it gets tiresome after the tenth time), or submission grappling (I do gi BJJ so this isn't strictly true but I have NO intention of opening up THAT can of worms).

So I either have to say: BrazilianJiuJitsuandnofortheloveofgodthatsnotcapoeira (which is a bit long), or submission grappling. I go with submission grappling...

ttt- in short: YES.

If i say i do BJJ they all think i'm training to be some UFC champ.

I just say i grapple and kickbox

my mom asked my girlfriend the other day if i was still rolling around...LOL!

Back