Do you ever wish Jiu-Jitsu had a different name?

jiu jitsu is perfect. it is what it is. brazilian jiu jitsu sounds even better. i personally think it sounds much better than "wrestling", "grappling" or "submission wrestling", etc.

I'm with you. Me and some friends hired out a hall in the local leisure centre with some matts recently (they train elsewhere and we sometimes like to roll). In the next hall was the local karate/kungfu martial arts organisation having their grading. In the hall were people with multicoloured belts, every colour of the rainbow, 9 year old kids with blackbelts, and all calling their instructor "Master".

When they asked what we do, felt good to say Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. Not to sound gay but am proud to say I do it. Just remain humble and don't rise to those who relate it to stupid arts, it's not their fault - some people just aren't into that sort of martial art/sport and therefore know nothing about it.

One thing I love though is when my fiance's ma asks her:

"When are they going tumbling next?"

I made the unfortunate remarks to a co worker and told him that I had a purple belt in Jiujitsu.

He told me his Sifu thought he could get his brown belt this year if he was able to open up his sixth charkra.

I said ... Yeah I guess thats why I am not brown either.

lol that's impossible. There's no such thing as a Sifu in Jujutsu... Japanese of Brazilian. It's a Mainland Chinese term used in Chinese MA's. :D

And I'm fine with the name. If it wasn't for the Japanese and their Judo/Jujutsu, there would be no BJJ. The only thing I would complain about is that it needs be called Brazilian Judo. :icon_twis

This is why I always say "wrestling" or "grappling." Sounds easier.

I refuse to say I do martial arts ... way too many bad connotations. I just call it wrestling.

I tried that once when I was heading out to a class--the guy I was talking to gave me a look, like why are you spending your time on that.
"What, you go rock climbing I'm going to wrestling practice."
His response:
"Yes, but the purpose of rock climbing isn't to dominate anther human being..."
Made an extra point not to mention it at all after that. =)
I told him he was trying to dominate nature though, which shows greater hubris... =)

When BJJ does come up I usually explain it as a geometry problem and mention it's both really intellectually and physically challenging--that always goes over well.

No one's ever flinched when Thai boxing comes up though... go figure.

here its worse, usually if you say you practice JJ, people think you are those huge massive idiots who go to clubs and beat up gay people, or are those "vale-tudo" animals, but a lot of people know the gracies and stuff

Wait, what?! :icon_neut
Where is this link coming from in their minds?

hell yeah. whether i'm in japan or in california, everyone always asks if brazilian jiu jitsu = capoeira. you know why?

eddy fucking gordo. from tekken.

I get that alot here, too. People know capoeira from Tekken and the movie Only the Strong.

wrestlers & boxers don't have to deal with that shit.

Well at least the casual person thinks you can kill them with a death touch.

If you say wrestling, people say shit like "you roll around with sweaty guys?" :mad:

I refuse to say I do martial arts ... way too many bad connotations. I just call it wrestling.

I hear you there, but don't people think it's odd at your age that you're engaged in "wrestling":redface:?

After so many years of wanting to train in BJJ, and now having the chance to do it, I couldn't care less what people thought of the art (I tell my family that I train in "Judo" or "Grappling" too). However, in my newb-ass opinion, I think it would be nicer if it were called Jujutsu or Jujitsu, instead of Jiu Jitsu.

let's call it Judo cause that's the very root of it...

my mom asked my girlfriend the other day if i was still rolling around...LOL!

LOL that's great

I hate it when my mom calls it Karate!
My dad and i both go on and on about how it's jui jitsu not karate!
( i think she calls it that cuz i used 2 take karate a while ago)

answer to "you roll around with sweaty guys??"
is,.."i guarantee that any one of those sweaty guys would kick your ass"

let's call it Judo cause that's the very root of it...

no becaquse then we would have to call it jujitsu, because it all started there. then we would degrade a good thread into a jiu-jitsu vs. judo thread and you would have to go fuck yourself.

much easier to stay on topic.

On that whole reaction part to doing judo, if the person says something stupid I will respond,

I do Mexican judo. Judo know i have a knife. lol

no becaquse then we would have to call it jujitsu, because it all started there. then we would degrade a good thread into a jiu-jitsu vs. judo thread and you would have to go fuck yourself.

i'm confused..? what's easier fucking myself or staying on topic..?

I tell people what i do and i get the i need to grow up and watch tv instead response.

i'm confused..? what's easier fucking myself or staying on topic..?

depends on how long your dick is probably...

I think some way of working sub into it would be good sub-fighting maybe?

I hear you there, but don't people think it's odd at your age that you're engaged in "wrestling":redface:?

I find that when people hear something they don't understand, they usually won't say anything about it for fear of looking foolish. So rarely will I get more than a few careful follow-up questions.

depends on how long your dick is probably...

I think some way of working sub into it would be good sub-fighting maybe?

no because then we would have to call it jujitsu, because it all started there. then we would degrade a good thread into a jiu-jitsu vs. luta livre thread and you would have to go fuck yourself.

Back