Do you ever wish Jiu-Jitsu had a different name?

DirectDrive

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
i have to say that i hate it when i tell somone that i do jiu-jitsu and they come back with some silly shit like "Really? my son does karate". it has always bugged me that the average joe's first thoguht goes towards TMA. wrestlers & boxers don't have to deal with that shit.

I think the names irrelevant, I think it's the fact a gi's involved and theres a belt ranking system that makes it comparible to TMA'S.

Its worse with judo, "so, can you smash boards with your head???". Horrible.

I think the names irrelevant, I think it's the fact a gi's involved and theres a belt ranking system that makes it comparible to TMA'S.

no it is the name. i don't tell people "i am a purple belt in jiu-jitsu and i wear a white or blue gi". they hear jiu-jitsu and think jujitsu.

I think the name is perfect. I don't talk about my training with non grapplers really, they just don't get it and the immediately think something along the lines of "oh you do that UFC shit? That's bad ass!" Yeah, I guess...:rolleyes:

Its not something I really talk about with other people because they just don't get it and they will never get it unless they train.

I tell my friends I train BJJ and they all assume I'm going to be on an upcoming UFC card. Seriously, we got a long way to go. They all assume BJJ=MMA.

saying "jiujitsu" and getting lumped in with TKD and krottie bothered me too, until i started saying "i do brazilian jiujitsu" and they start responding with "theres a brazilian one?" or "i always thought jiujitsu sounded Japanese." which is an even bigger headache.

I think the name is perfect. I don't talk about my training with non grapplers really, they just don't get it and the immediately think something along the lines of "oh you do that UFC shit? That's bad ass!" Yeah, I guess...:rolleyes:

Its not something I really talk about with other people because they just don't get it and they will never get it unless they train.

i know what you mean, but if you train with any frequency it will come up eventually.

I refuse to say I do martial arts ... way too many bad connotations. I just call it wrestling.

I usually just say I do submission wrestling or submission grappling to people that don't know what BJJ is.

I usually just say I do submission wrestling or submission grappling to people that don't know what BJJ is.

Submission grappling. How about "Brazilian submission grappling." LOL. You heard it here first.

I refuse to say I do martial arts ... way too many bad connotations. I just call it wrestling.

Yeah, I just say I'm going to "wrestling practice" or "I've got wrestling practice". Its just too much of a headache to explain to anybody. I don't even bother to say "submission wrestling" because they won't know what that is either. Its funny because my Dad has no idea why the hell I'd want to pay someone to "go do that wrasslin'" (he's very country) and my mom whenever she would come to my tournaments (I started grappling at 16) all she'd do is just yell "get him! get him!" Nevermind that I've managed to get several medals in local comps and have pretty much decided that jiu-jitsu > everything on the planet, no one in my family even bothers to understand what the hell I'm doing :D

i have to say that i hate it when i tell somone that i do jiu-jitsu and they come back with some silly shit like "Really? my son does karate". it has always bugged me that the average joe's first thoguht goes towards TMA. wrestlers & boxers don't have to deal with that shit.

I tell people I have "class"

they say "what kind? college?"

I just say submission wrestling class. I'm so tired of people being like "JEW JITSOO? is that like karate? so you think you're tough or what?"

I ususally just say "no, but I can kick your ass" and leave them wondering.

I tell people I have "class"

they say "what kind? college?"

I just say submission wrestling class. I'm so tired of people being like "JEW JITSOO? is that like karate? so you think you're tough or what?"

I ususally just say "no, but I can kick your ass" and leave them wondering.

and when I go to MMA class I say " I'm going to my kickboxing and wrestling class"

I keep it simple.

"I do jiu jitsu. Have you watched Mixed Martial Arts? Some competitions take place in a cage or octagon. "

"Oh Yeah..."

"Well jiu jitsu is like that without the punching or kicking. I am not a fighter but I train with them. They are really a bunch of good guys. Real professional athletes. They kill me in like 5 seconds. I do it to stay in shape and have fun."

...After that, they usually don't tell me that their 12 year old nephew has a green belt in TKD...

I dunno guys. I really dont give a shit what people wanna call what I do. It's like anything, people are quite ignorant about specific things that you do. It's in ones nature to generalize. Without generalization, really, could we have any sort of, conceptual understanding of anything? I believe that to some extent, we stereotype and organize things the way we want, in order to relate some personal meaning to our surroundings. With music I always get this 'OMG CAN YOU PLAY THAT SONG FROM THE PIANIST"...It gets a bit old, but they're in essence opening themselves to a conversation about something that you love.

But here's the thing guys. I believe it's our responsibility to educate those who make such broad sweeping generalization as to be totally off the mark. I mean we all do jiu jitsu, we all love it, why therefore should we not promote it? I usually just say I'm going to class as well, and that's just fine, but if people ask 'oh what kind of class?' I tell them what it is that i'm doing. Sometimes I'll get a bruce lee impression, but if you settle them down, they're almost always quite interested in what you have to say. I have a few people from work interested in joining BJJ because of it.

People usually will not take the time to understand something that they dont understand by themselves unless it affects them. Having someone they know doing something is a perfect example for how it could affect them. That's WHY people are saying "oh, my son does karate." Is it their fault for not going out of the way to understand your passion, which until this point, has had no place in their lives whatsoever? No, it's just obliviousness, not stupidity.

Getting frustrated about it is just elitism in my opinion, and a bit self-important.

Just my two cents.

No I like the name Jiu-jitsu because if it wasn't called that then last night I wouldn't have laughed my ass off at Krav Maga being called Jew-Jitsu.

Back