Do you ever wish Jiu-Jitsu had a different name?

I say Gracie Jiu - Jitsu only because our top level instructor is Renzo Gracie, and we also take part in his, Igors, and Gregors seminars when we get the chance.

I had a nighbours son find out i did judo/bjj and he started a conversation one day to kinda segway it into saying his son got his yellow belt in tkd , i said that was nice and then tryed to tell him what i do , but really went in one ear and out the other .
A couple months later he caught me comming home from practise and he said his son got another belt i said good for him , and joked he would soon be at my belt level soon I said " well its a little different in tkd then judo/bjj" he didnt understand .
I just said it takes a little longer .

Like a couple weeks later he was outside with his son and his father and he saw me comming home from practise and started talking to his father about how his son is almost a black belt in tkd and then ask what belt i am and pretty much cut me off to say his kid was almost as past me in belt ranks .
His father asked me what was the difference in what i did and his grandson did and i said " i train a real martial art " ( i said it without even thinking like i couldnt bite my tongue just came out) They kinda looked at me with a look as if i was the biggest douche ever .
he asked what i meant by that and i was on a roll so i explained the arts that i train in and i thought i had them understanding the difference But the son came back with "I dont know man the instructor can jump and kick your head clean off !! "

cant win .

same here...im getting sick of the....

"oh you train jiujitsu?? awesome!! are u a striker or a grappler"

fck! cant they get that jiujitsu is NOT equal to UFC?

he saw me comming home from practise and started talking to his father about how his son is almost a black belt in tkd and then ask what belt i am and pretty much cut me off to say his kid was almost as past me in belt ranks .

lol i had the same thing, right before i got my blue belt i was standing in the lobby of the place i train at and a bunch of 10 year old karate kids walked by and laughed at me for having a white belt.

same here...im getting sick of the....

"oh you train jiujitsu?? awesome!! are u a striker or a grappler"

fck! cant they get that jiujitsu is NOT equal to UFC?

To be fair, if you don't say BRAZILIAN people might asume you do other forms of JJ, in which competitors often have distinct styles as either strikers or grapplers

the worst is when u say u train jiu jitsu and people are like "oh niice" then break out some cheesy karate moves with added sound effects, kind of like thats what u train

lol i had the same thing, right before i got my blue belt i was standing in the lobby of the place i train at and a bunch of 10 year old karate kids walked by and laughed at me for having a white belt.

and really you cant take the kid down and show him what for without convincing him to take a bjj class haha .

we have a karate class before my judo class and while the 15 of us where waiting the karate class gets out one guy was talking to the karate sensi and told him " iam gonna do the judo class now for a cool down " and was serious about it laughing . I swear you could hear the whoosh of 15 heads turning at once to stare at this guy .

the karate sensi knowing what judo is about told him " you just take care of yourself in there " while kinda looking at my judo sensi with a wink in his eye .

lets just say he came out of the class an hour early complaining of cramps , a torn gi and a sore arm cuz he refused to tap .

great guy......

the worst is when u say u train jiu jitsu and people are like "oh niice" then break out some cheesy karate moves with added sound effects, kind of like thats what u train

I had a guy say he was a pretty good fighter from years of hocky.....

haha! Yeah that's the easiest way to explain it to people! Then there all curious about it, and make jokes and stuff...

Yeah, heck i was even at a job interview, and they asked what i did in my spare time, and i said mma, and theyre all like, so your a martial artist.

HAHA the same thing happened to me on a job interviwe the other day. I had to explain what Jiu-Jitsu was. I said "I just said it's like Judo"

haha! Yeah that's the easiest way to explain it to people! Then there all curious about it, and make jokes and stuff...

Yeah, heck i was even at a job interview, and they asked what i did in my spare time, and i said mma, and theyre all like, so your a martial artist.

HAHA the same thing happened to me on a job interviwe the other day. I had to explain what Jiu-Jitsu was. I said "I just said it's like Judo"

I just say Grapple or Wrestle. the ignorant people talk about how they dont like grabbing guys balls.

I usually reply with "yeah a wrestler could destroy you in a fight"

I just simply don't associate myself with what I call "outsiders"

How can you have a friend that can't escape mount???

I so have to up this thread.

1- When you say Jiu Jitsu you get the "Oh someone I know got a green belt in Karate" making you sound like a young kid ( and im 30, and a professional )

2- I try saying submission wrestling, then you get questions about what it is if its not pro or "regular" wrestling... explaining it makes you sound like someone who likes violence, and like a young kid excited about a martial art he knows.

3- Its even worse when asked by people who know Karate or TKO and when you start to explain they start talking about the best martial art and how theres some karate guy who no one can beat because of his outstanding balance.

I used to try to make others aware that this is different, but I gave up. I say submission wrestling and getting used to the akward feeling I get asked about what I mean by it.

A banker I know even laughed sitting on his fatt ass thinking its "karate" saying... he he he.. you're getting into a fight or something? As if I knew someone I wanted to beat up and had to train for it!

I comfort myself that years from now.. you'll have a belt will/should be respected because by then "Jiu Jitsu" SHOULD sound better.

Jiu Jitsu is great. But Brazilian Jiu Jitsu kinda gets on my nerves. Why need to specify? The other type of jj is not at all the same thing.

like Judo? :)

nah, really though, i dig submission grappling as a name. i mean, really, what separates judo, bjj, and sambo? scoring.

tell me about it.

if anyone asks i just say i do some grappling/wrestling.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back