Do street thugs have better striking?...

It depends on the opponents as well.

The dude in the red steps outside with his right leg, jabs with a half hook half overhand, and leaves his head in the middle... all of his body parts went in different directions :D

I'm no expert but I think that if you step outside, you move your head with the body and go forward with the cross while keeping your head tucked in.

I've had the opportunity to train with a pro kickboxer in my youth, I was around 20 and this dude was retired at 42 I think.... and dude...duuuuuude, their bodies are fucking different. It's like you're hitting a horse.

We did drills where you catch a body kick and follow up with a sweep.... every time I caught the dude's leg it felt like I was catching a tree trunk... and mind you this was a slow drill.

And when I tried to sweep him.... forget about it. And I'm not a frail person, I'm actually pretty stocky. For a civilian I'm pretty strong... but these guys are just on another level.

If you ever have the opportunity just try and spar with a pro fighter, one that actually wins fights. You'll feel like a bitch afterwards.

I trained with a few pro fighters and this is true

190 $ a month?! Wtf?! Are we talking a reasonable gym with decent high level coaches or like the top of the top? Sounds insanely expensive.
I even lowballed it. The gyms in my state are all $200 a month. lol. That's like any gym here regardless of instructor experience.

Edit: A gym here that has an olympic wrestling coach costs $240, but it's not unlimited classes. It's $240 a month for 3 classes a week. lol.

Last edited:
While the fighters throw down for 10+10, the young thugs is fightin’ for dey lives and city blocks

Street fighting = brawling + occassional gnp.

That is, until his buddy cold-cocks you then stomps your face on the pavement.

No threat of takedown. If you watch the backyard mma shit, as soon as you allow takedowns the striking skills dissapear because they are scared to put anything on their punches and over commit because they have shit for TDD and they gas in 30 seconds of wrestling

I even lowballed it. The gyms in my state are all $200 a month. lol. That's like any gym here regardless of instructor experience.

Edit: A gym here that has an olympic wrestling coach costs $240, but it's not unlimited classes. It's $240 a month for 3 classes a week. lol.

That's insane haha. I pay roughly 150$ for unlimited classes for 6 months. Now it's not the most amazing facility (small basement) but still. Didn't realise it was that expensive in the states. I suppose this means street thugs have better opportunities here in Sweden to make the transition.

Most people thought he'd be able to wrestle everyone. It was common knowledge that his striking was terrible.
I was never part of "most people that thought". Common knowledge also makes you know that good wrestling isn't makes you the next big thing out of the UFC.

No street thug can handle this!
YyslyNA.gif
I saw similar moves last week, live, when 2 drunk guys were trying to fight in a night club

Fighting is more than just striking.

Ben Askren is a bad striker, but he is a good fighter.
Not a good striker I agree. But he would likely take down and beat those guys in the video. One on one wrestling is powerful like BJJ is. You cant use striking when u are on your back. Those guys also get tooled by pro boxers and most good mma guys easily.

I was never part of "most people that thought". Common knowledge also makes you know that good wrestling isn't makes you the next big thing out of the UFC.
I agree with you, I never believed he'd become the champion, but I did think he would win more fights than he did. After all, you can't be that limited in your striking and expect to win over the best guys. I just thought that there were a lot of match ups that he'd be favored to wrestle fuck just like he did in Bellator and One, mostly the lower end of the top 15.

I know some street fighters and they understand distance and how to Control, but they are poor as fuck.

Just look at those sloppy haymakers. Anybody that trains cold see those coming from a mile away.

And the difference between a trained fighter and a street fighter isn't really in the actual strikes. Even if a street fighter can throw a decent punch... how is their head movement and footwork?

How do they set up punches? You watch these videos and you see two flat footed goons standing directly in front of one another just waiting for the other person to do something.

Just look at those sloppy haymakers. Anybody that trains cold see those coming from a mile away.

And the difference between a trained fighter and a street fighter isn't really in the actual strikes. Even if a street fighter can throw a decent punch... how is their head movement and footwork?

How do they set up punches? You watch these videos and you see two flat footed goons standing directly in front of one another just waiting for the other person to do something.
You do realise who is getting dropped by those sloppy haymakers..

<6>

It depends on the opponents as well.

The dude in the red steps outside with his right leg, jabs with a half hook half overhand, and leaves his head in the middle... all of his body parts went in different directions :D

Yes, if you look at his stance he's leading with his right. He starts pressing the action and the other dude starts moving back which is already bad news. Instead, when fighting someone in a southpaw stance, you want to pivot on your lead foot as an orthodox to left of his lead foot (away from his power shot). A quick pivot to the left should put you in a spot to at least tag him with a quick jab.

Back