Dillian Whyte : "Im being frozen out of title picture"

I’ve had a few dodgy moments in Brixton myself back in the 90s, when I used to go clubbing there.
Lots of people defended whyte stance and I still do not understand it? Had he fought wilder last year instead of Ortiz, how much would he have earned? Would he have even earned 4m? he would’ve taken the fight though! He thinks he’s worth more money because his opponent is one of the biggest stars in the sport??
And it seems everyone but dillian knew that the wbc were going to fck him over. And wilder won’t fight him unless he absolutely has to
I think something that I saw Dillian say in an interview might explain it. He was talking about making fights with people and that he weighs it up as risk vs. reward, and if the money is too low but the risk is high he won't take it. That's why he won't take the AJ fight for £4 million, because he's pretty sure he's going to lose and he won't get another shot at the big money for some time after that. IF he was really confident of beating AJ he'd snap up that offer because he know he'd be calling the shots from that point on.

Do people in America know who Whyte is? I don't really know who's popular and who isn't in the US market
Obviously the fight with Whyte would be a UK market.

I think American exposure is more valuable to AJ/Hearn because they want to make a Wilder fight happen in the US in the autumn. Whyte just doesn't fit into those plans unfortunately for him.
So were all in agreement.

So were all in agreement.
Yep Whyte just isn't of value to Hearn and AJ at this point in time so he's not going to get paid what he 'thinks' he's worth.

Yeah I don't get it at all, his mouth/mindset is undoing all the hard work his fists have done. It is amazing how quickly these guys forget where they come from, I mean he grew up in Brixton, been stabbed and shot, worked on the door at 14, dad at 14 I think and turns down £4 million... now hes left without a fight and more importantly without £4 million
He's not scraping around for money, he got more than 4m for the Chisora fight, which in itself is very telling.
They offered him 4m and wanted the lions share of the rematch, thats like a piss take, akin to a UFC offer. Anyone who cant understand why he turned it down needs to recalibrate their opinions on self worth.

Joshua's team came to Dillian's with a few offers but he turned them down.

So why did he reject the opportunity he'd been working towards for so long?

Dillian says it's because he was offered "rubbish" money and he knows his "value".

"You can't offer [Tyson] Fury £15m and offer me £4m," he says.

"Fury's not three times the draw that I am. I know what value I bring. Of course I believe I can become world champion, anything could happen.

"Of course I believe I can beat him."

I have no sympathy for him. It's not like he wasn't offered... He was offered a fight against the champ, who already KOed him badly, and offered good money (£4M) . But turned it down because he wanted more money.

He has no one to blame but himself.

I have no sympathy for him. It's not like he wasn't offered... He was offered a fight against the champ, who already KOed him badly, and offered good money (£4M) . But turned it down because he wanted more money.

That's about the size of it. If he feels he's worth so much more than £4 million then he has to live with not getting a title shot. I wonder if he regrets his decision now? If he doesn't it's because he knew he would lose that fight. If he really thought he had a chance of taking 3 World titles he'd have jumped on that opportunity even if he was being paid £10,000

That isnt good money for a fight with AJ. At all.

That isnt good money for a fight with AJ. At all.
It is if you were confident you'd take the 3 World Titles that AJ holds. If you thought you were going to lose then no I quite agree that's not good money.

It is if you were confident you'd take the 3 World Titles that AJ holds. If you thought you were going to lose then no I quite agree that's not good money.
Ill again point out you didnt feel that way when Golovkin was low balled.

Pay is relevant to the opponent. 4m for AJ is fuck all.

GGG was worth a lot more. Who knows Whyte?? GGG already had World Titles, what does Whyte bring to the table? C'mon be sensible!

GGG was worth a lot more. Who knows Whyte?? GGG already had World Titles, what does Whyte bring to the table? C'mon be sensible!
No one was paying shit to see Golovkin.

Whyte brings a proper challenger thats earned another shot, who also sells well in AJ’s home market.

Whyte brings a hell of a lot more than Miller at the very least.

I'm starting to wish every HW was frozen out of the title picture until Wilder, Fury, and AJ have all fought each other a couple of times.....

This is now a waiting game...both champions and Fury have opponents now. Usyk, Pulev, Ortiz, Kownacki and Kaboom all could end up in line ahead of Whyte for big fights.

He might not see another title shot in the near future, because honestly no one expects him to win against the top 3 in a match, he is in reality a stay busy fight for the top guys in the division. There are five guys who pose the same if not a more potent threat to the Big 3, so he could be 2 years away from a big fight if they all mix it up.

Time to get Chris Arreola on deck. Or get in on that WBA "regs" and interim title action with Trevor, Fres & Co.

Not if you have re-match on rubbish terms.....I think he would have taken the fight for 4mio if the rematch was in his favour or 50.50

This is now a waiting game...both champions and Fury have opponents now. Usyk, Pulev, Ortiz, Kownacki and Kaboom all could end up in line ahead of Whyte for big fights.

He might not see another title shot in the near future, because honestly no one expects him to win against the top 3 in a match, he is in reality a stay busy fight for the top guys in the division. There are five guys who pose the same if not a more potent threat to the Big 3, so he could be 2 years away from a big fight if they all mix it up.

Time to get Chris Arreola on deck. Or get in on that WBA "regs" and interim title action with Trevor, Fres & Co.
How will he slip down the rankings? He will get a mandatory at some point. He meet with WBO at the o2 the other week and seemed happy so could be something coming there post the wilder/brez fight

I may well have asked for a sip of water at some point then Jonny as I was clubbing too in the 90s. :)

I think his mentality is that he's always been denied a shot and treated unfairly (he got banned temporarily for using a supplement with disallowed ingredients), that when he does he wants huge money cos it may not happen again.

haha I used to get in some states back in the day. Used to go to the fridge in Brixton, and various other House and Drum n bass nights in town (drum n bass nights were always in clubs in the shadiest parts of London). Good times though very fckin hazy. couldn't do that shit now though. My kids put paid to my partying in 2006. Probably a good thing as Id been into the scene since 1990, and too much of that takes its toll

I think something that I saw Dillian say in an interview might explain it. He was talking about making fights with people and that he weighs it up as risk vs. reward, and if the money is too low but the risk is high he won't take it. That's why he won't take the AJ fight for £4 million, because he's pretty sure he's going to lose and he won't get another shot at the big money for some time after that. IF he was really confident of beating AJ he'd snap up that offer because he know he'd be calling the shots from that point on.

I think youre right, I think he feels he will lose. if that's the case, he's a beaten man before he steps in to the ring, if the rematch ever happens. You can't win a fight that you don't think you can win. You're beaten before the bell goes
I appreciate what hes saying about risk and reward, but how much of a risk is it when you are being 'given' the opportunity to fight for 3 of the 4 belts. And people talk like 4 million is peanuts. Is everyone a fckin millionaire who posts on this site, or just lost touch with reality?

This is what I struggle with. He would've fought Wilder for half of that amount, but has turned down Joshua, even though there is a far larger reward if he wins

Back