Dawson vs Johnson plus Tarver vs Woods tonight on Showtime

Coming soon to a Wednesday night fights near you...Alphonso GOMEZ!

Johnson won that shit another reason boxing sucks judges go with what they want, and they don't want a 39 Johnson as champ. That bitch Dawson is afraid said he didn't think a rematch was good.

Johnson won that shit another reason boxing sucks judges go with what they want, and they don't want a 39 Johnson as champ. That bitch Dawson is afraid said he didn't think a rematch was good.

dude. please.

I didn't have too big a problem with the scoring in the Johnson/Dawson bout. Johnson looked good in some of the earlier rounds but Dawson seemed to get a handle on the fight and outboxed Johnson in the middle rounds and limited Johnson's effectiveness until about the tenth. I was hoping Johnson would score the KO win late but he just couldn't muster the strength to pull it off.

Dawson showed an excellent ability to recover and then punch back when hurt. He never lost his poise even though at times he did tend to linger on the inside a bit too much and give Johnson a shot at the KO.

Coming soon to a Wednesday night fights near you...Alphonso GOMEZ!

haha, nice

I missed the Showtime card. Did Johnson deserve the decision instead of Dawson. I heard it was damn close. But I need other opinions.

I need to catch this fight though. Woods was a decent pressure fighter once upon a time. Heard he wasn't himself tonight. I was hoping Tarver would lose because I straight don't like the guy and I am from Tampa.

Did anyone score the fight for Johnson? I am not going through all these posts.

I just don't see the controversy with the Dawson fight. I scored it 115-113 for Dawson and if anything it was more of a 116-112 than a draw. He did look very vulnerable in this fight and fought a foolish fight at times, but still won without a doubt.

G. Leon from boxing talk had it for Johnson 115-113. Seems like Johnson at his age has more than enough to stay at the top.

Who's had an easy time with Glen Johnson? One fighter, in Johnson's entire career has beaten him easy and that was Bernard Hopkins. Dawson struggling isn't a suprise, in part because of Dawson not being nearly as good as his US fanbase thinks...and partly because Johnson is a real fighter. Nobody puts one over on him.

G. Leon from boxing talk had it for Johnson 115-113. Seems like Johnson at his age has more than enough to stay at the top.

I just can't agree with that score. Johnson was the aggressor and was moving toward Dawson for pretty much the entire fight but he really was never able effectively cut the ring off. He would get Dawson moving towards the corners but Dawson almost effortlessly would move out of the corner and out of danger. Johnson took the last three rounds and a couple early rounds, but as I stated earlier, Dawson pretty much controlled the action in the middle rounds and outboxed Johnson w/o too much trouble. I had the fight 115-113 Dawson.

Johnson was definitely a handful for Dawson though and can compete with anyone in the division.

I need to catch this fight though. Woods was a decent pressure fighter once upon a time. Heard he wasn't himself tonight. I was hoping Tarver would lose because I straight don't like the guy and I am from Tampa.

Did anyone score the fight for Johnson? I am not going through all these posts.

I did by 1 rd (scored 1 even I think which maybe I shouldnt have). Of the two Britsh commentators one had it as a draw and one had it Dawson by a single round.

I had Tarver winning by 10 rds.

Who's had an easy time with Glen Johnson? One fighter, in Johnson's entire career has beaten him easy and that was Bernard Hopkins. Dawson struggling isn't a suprise, in part because of Dawson not being nearly as good as his US fanbase thinks...and partly because Johnson is a real fighter. Nobody puts one over on him.

Meh, you attempted to downplay the experience levels before the fight and it sounds like it showed. I didn't see the fight so I dunno, but I think Chad is the goods. Technical, southpaw, athletic, great trainer and seemingly has a head on his shoulders. Johnson makes people look bad but loses close a lot. I'll reserve full judgement until after I watch the fight though.

Glad Woods didn't win in that a Woods/Calzaghe fight would've been pointless. Haven't seen yesterdays fights yet, will a bit later. Anyone know who Tarver is likely to face next? Dawson? Calzaghe if he wins?

This is one thing I've always struggled with about boxing. We saw a fight in which one guy pull out a very close win (maybe) and he gets it 116-112 unanimous decison. We saw another fight where one man clearly dominated the vast majority of the fight and the scores are very similar. WTF?

I'm not sure what the solution is just saying that its hard to stomach. Anyway props to Johnson for just being a good old fashioned warrior, its amazing he can bring such presssure at his age. This is the first time I've seen Dawson and, if he is hyped to the extent Steve Bunce seemed to think he was, then a lot of people are going to be disappointed. I hear this was his toughest fight to date so he did well to come through it but really, as a prospect, difficult as it is you've got to beat guys like Johnson more clearly than that.

Now onto the Woods fight. It was very disappointing, whether it was nerves, or because he simply doesn't have the drive anymore Woods just didn't show up. The commentators kept banging on about how impressive Tarver looked but the point is Woods did very little for at least half of the fight. I found the fight a tad boring, although Tarver did look very good techinically.

Whenever Woods landed a decent shot (which wasn't often) Tarver did not like it an hustled to get away from the ropes. This should've been Woods tactic throughout but he just didn't look himself.

He was talking possible retirement after the fight and fair play to him if that's what he decies. He is a very humble guy who has made good money and had a very honest career IMO.

Back