Dawson vs Johnson plus Tarver vs Woods tonight on Showtime

This is one thing I've always struggled with about boxing. We saw a fight in which one guy pull out a very close win (maybe) and he gets it 116-112 unanimous decison. We saw another fight where one man clearly dominated the vast majority of the fight and the scores are very similar. WTF?

Unfortunately that's just something we have to live with with round by round scoring. It doesn't really matter how dominant you won each round unless you get a knockdown. You can win 8 close rounds or 8 dominant rounds, but at the end of the day, the scorecards will be the same. I realize it looks bad, but I don't know how you would address this issue with the way scoring is done.

Holy shit someone who gets it.

i can't stand tarver

I agree.

The guy just comes across as a jerk. It's shame, because he's still got some talent left and has charismatic potential.

Every time he gives his post-fight interview, I want to eat a box of Milk Duds for some reason though.................

Its all a bit daft anyway isn't it? I mean there is never a 10-1 round, the lowest I think you would see if 10-7 so why mess around with all the extra numbers?

Wish I had taped the fights now as I scored the Tarver fight and came out very close to the scoring. Don't think this would be the case with Dawson Johnson but might be interesting.

Its all a bit daft anyway isn't it? I mean there is never a 10-1 round, the lowest I think you would see if 10-7 so why mess around with all the extra numbers?

Wish I had taped the fights now as I scored the Tarver fight and came out very close to the scoring. Don't think this would be the case with Dawson Johnson but might be interesting.

There have been 10-6 rounds. It's all about factoring in possible single or 2-point deductions, and allowing for enough leeway in numbers that say two Fighters both have point deductions in a round, there can still be a winner depending on the severity of the offense.

Round 10 i think it was where Johnson had Dawson hurt you may have a case for it being 10-8, but it is clear that Dawson won more rounds than Johnson.

i do think watching the fight round 10 was probably the closest you could get to giving something like a 10-8 but theres a problem i think with that line of thinking.

As far as watching it from a fans perspective, i think a lot of people can pretty fairly say it was a real competitive fight, and Johnson probably got the better of it. Certainly dawson looked like he was getting the worse of it when they were engaging.

Now as fans scoring the fight i have a bit of a problem giving rd 10 basically 10-8 because thats really sort of only being done to justify giving johnson a decision in a fight that although he fought very well in he probably lost on the cards.

I think it was pretty clear (granted pretty clear is a very subjective term) that dawson won somewhere between 5-7 rounds. I thought he probably snuck out 7 rounds to win the fight. Now watching the fight i wanted johnson to stop him pretty much as soon as he started getting things going in the 3rd, because it was bringing a lot of drama to the fight.

Still although i think something like 115-113 either way is probably justified, i think its hard to give johnson a decision. I think your giving johnson a decision because you like the way he fought more above all.

Fans like the come-forward guys, even if they're not necessarily winning.

114-114. Good fight though. Looked like Johnson's last great effort. Dawson showed some good heart, but also the flaw that a lot of chinny 'speed' guys had (Norris, Too Sharp)....the reluctance to accept the opponent landing a punch and forget about it.

116-112 was ridiculous. If you can find 8 rounds Dawson won, you'd have to reach in and grab some from his last fight, IMO.

Why do you say it looked like Glen's last?

He got hit some, but hardly seemed deterred, and didn't seem like he was losing much steam down the stretch. I think he could crank out 3 more if he really felt like it.

Because Glen hasn't looked that good in a couple of years. I've seen fighters over the years who can muster something special when the time comes, even if it seems there's nothing else there. I have a sneaking suspiscion that this was it for Glen.

And 'if he really felt like it'...that kind of goes hand in hand with this.

chad gets hit way too much...right now. i said that before and i say that again.

he's tough and he's young so if he can pick up his hands and get some more time with eddie he'll improve. Johnson is tough to fight. i didn't think johnson had that much left in his tank. i thought johnson would fade because he didn't look all that sharp in his last fight.

the winner in this fight was his trainer. when chad listened and didnt get lured into brawling he made Glenn look like he didn't belong.
his jab, left hand turn or jab left hand turn to body shots....he had that all night when he chose to use it. tough to stay with that gamplan when you have as much aggression as chad has also when you have johnson in your face the entire night.

thats why i said "right now" because with expierence he could be a champ for a long time hate the word could though

my money is on tarver, he's washed up, but has more good then Woods and on home turf.

I think Dawson beats Johnson, but Dawson does seem a bit chinny, and has found himself on the canvas a few times. Johnson could pull it off

its been awhile...good to see you around

its been awhile...good to see you around

yeah I got moved to an outside job for a while, so no more posting from work. But I'm back at the old job now, so back to posting at work, lol. Broke my ankle last week too, so that was sweet

yeah I got moved to an outside job for a while, so no more posting from work. But I'm back at the old job now, so back to posting at work, lol. Broke my ankle last week too, so that was sweet

fuck...been there before man. how you do that?

Because Glen hasn't looked that good in a couple of years. I've seen fighters over the years who can muster something special when the time comes, even if it seems there's nothing else there. I have a sneaking suspiscion that this was it for Glen.

And 'if he really felt like it'...that kind of goes hand in hand with this.

Gotcha. With his style it's so hard to tell.

damn...though i heard the russian judge gave you an 8.5.

sorry to hear but nice to see you're back

yeah it was pretty sweet, apparently, I landed, said "oh fuck, that aint right" hopped to my room and went to bed.

Woke up the next morning, jumped out of bed to take a piss, landed on my ankle, and was lke "oh fuck" looked down at it and was like yup, need to go to the hospital.

Thank God for free Medical in the Corps, lol

I got the net in my room now too, so I'm back for good.

Back