Dawson vs Johnson plus Tarver vs Woods tonight on Showtime

your boys didnt look to good tonight btw

Not a hockey follower though. I lost big today, but took a big gamble on the red sox and won, so broke even for the day.

your boys didnt look to good tonight btw

Not a hockey follower though. I lost big today, but took a big gamble on the red sox and won, so broke even for the day.

one hit changed the game. it was downhill from there. it was ugly.

i know i'm a couple days behind but i finally watched this event. I had the Dawson-Johnson fight 114 even, but i guess i can see Dawson edging it out(not 116-112 though). I'm more of a casual boxing fan and this was my first time seeing Dawson, but how the hell can he say a rematch isn't needed? I think Johnson got screwed.

Fans like the come-forward guys, even if they're not necessarily winning.

yes if u move forward u w/bad intentions u will get props over the guy moving and sticking, its just natural to assume the guy moving away is losing... UNLESS HE IS DOING SOMETHING VERY FLASHY OR OBV (i.e. what jones jr and mayweather do)

116-112 was ridiculous. If you can find 8 rounds Dawson won, you'd have to reach in and grab some from his last fight, IMO.

IMO,Dawson won the fight pretty much like Malignaggi won his fight against Ngoudjo.

Dawson clearly got his ass kicked, but he also clearly won the boxing match.

i know i'm a couple days behind but i finally watched this event. I had the Dawson-Johnson fight 114 even, but i guess i can see Dawson edging it out(not 116-112 though). I'm more of a casual boxing fan and this was my first time seeing Dawson, but how the hell can he say a rematch isn't needed? I think Johnson got screwed.

It was too close to say he got screwed. I was hoping the judges would say Johnsons name , but expected to hear Dawson and,IMO, rightfully so.

Dawson is making the mistake that some big name fighters actually want to fight him. Tarver pretty clearly doesn't want Dawson. Why would Hopkins bother? Calzaghe maybe if he beat Hopkins.

IMO,Dawson won the fight pretty much like Malignaggi won his fight against Ngoudjo.

Dawson clearly got his ass kicked, but he also clearly won the boxing match.

THis is right up there with your "I see no way Cotto can beat Margarito' post. It's hard to decide which one is better.

Bottom line, no matter what score you came up with, it shouldn't have been 116-112 Dawson.

Good thing for Dawson it wasn't for 15 rds.

Ah, but I'm a Glencoffe Johnson fan after all.
"I'm not the best, but I'll fight the best."

Dawson fought a tough fight and hung in at the end avoiding getting stopped by Johnson, but in his toughest test so far, I think Dawson fell short of the mark regarding the perceived "heir apparent" hype and all that.

Who knows? Fighters develop and get better, but Dawson's almost 26 years old already. With 27 professional fights, Dawson's in his prime right now. This may be as good as he'll become.

Certainly Dawson's a top 5 fighter, but I can't see him beating Joe Calzaghe nor even a 43 year old past-his-prime Bernard Hopkins...yet.

Dawson could beat a lot of super-middleweights though, but for how long could he make 168 at his height of 6′ 3″?

Again, who took more of a beating? Dawson. Who looked vulnerable at times? Dawson. Who won the fight? Dawson. This was a boxing match and even though, Johnson pressured him and had Dawson hurt twice, he did not finish the job. If the fight was scored correctly, at the absolute worse, it could have been a draw. I had the fight 115-113 Dawson. It is obvious that Dawson did not fight a smart fight, but he clearly did enough to win. If it was a fight to the death, then well Johnson would have probably taken it, but this is boxing.

THis is right up there with your "I see no way Cotto can beat Margarito' post. It's hard to decide which one is better.

Not sure what that means. Dawson did get his ass kicked, but he was scoring more points. I said Dawson won and fairly, but he did not look good there and he definetly was hurt more often. Same way Mailgnaggi beat Ngoudjo, he outboxed him while getting hit with the bigger shots. Do you disagree with this? Seems so. Either that or you're trying to be a prick.

Cotto won't beat Margarito.

The fact that a boxing match is a fight makes it seem a bit bizarre when we say one guy got his butt kicked but won the match. There is logic in it, just something in my head makes me look twice..

The fact that a boxing match is a fight makes it seem a bit bizarre when we say one guy got his butt kicked but won the match. There is logic in it, just something in my head makes me look twice..
I really think Tam knew what I was saying.

He knows boxing, hes seen plenty of fights that went the same way. I think he just takes offense when people don't share the same view.

Its based on how you judge the fight. Is it points? Or is it the guy who landed the impressive shots.

Depends what you mean by impressive, as a spectator I tend to think a damaging blow is worth more than a scoring punch which does little damage. Where you draw the line I've no idea

Depends what you mean by impressive, as a spectator I tend to think a damaging blow is worth more than a scoring punch which does little damage. Where you draw the line I've no idea

Judging isn't based solely on big punches. Of course its a big factor and if it was the only one, Dawson lost and Johnson was robbed.

But Dawson landed many more shots. Johnson would spend an entire round trying to land 2-3 big punches while Dawson was boxing and landing shots. Dawsons shots were clean for the most part, they just didn't effect Johnson as badly as Johnsons did Dawson.

I hope I never have the misfortune of watching Woods fight again. He sucks and is a walking punching bag. Go away and retire.

It was too close to say he got screwed. I was hoping the judges would say Johnsons name , but expected to hear Dawson and,IMO, rightfully so.

Dawson is making the mistake that some big name fighters actually want to fight him. Tarver pretty clearly doesn't want Dawson. Why would Hopkins bother? Calzaghe maybe if he beat Hopkins.

I didn't mean he got screwed out of the win really(it was not 116-112 though), just commenting on dawson's behavior when asked about a rematch.

Finally getting around to watching this card now, the Dawson/Johnson fight is starting awesome.

Back