Social Dave Chappelle went too far - do these guys have an argument?

1. Chappelle get to make whatever jokes he wants.

2. Anybody who wants to complain about it gets to

3. If Netflix decides it wants to drop Chappelle because he isn't representing them well, they get to

Everyone has a right to free speech; that doesn't necessarily guarantee there will be no consequences to what someone says.

I feel like netflix is probably regretting the arrangement now as his specials just haven't been performing that well, at least probably not in relation to his price tag.

I feel like netflix is probably regretting the arrangement now as his specials just haven't been performing that well, at least probably not in relation to his price tag.

Do you have more information on this? Last I heard Netflix wont release numbers to anyone.

Uhh, they didn't say he should be canceled. You're just making that up, and I don't think we'll see anyone here argue that silly position.

They said it was funny, that he's their favorite comedian, and that he's one of the best comedians in the game, but that he shoehorned issues into his jokes. Not only is that not an argument that he should be canceled...it's not really an argument at all. It's just a statement of fact: that Chappelle, like many or most comedians, get off on truth-telling on issues they are personally all that informed on.

Believe it or not, someone can proffer the question "hey, did Dave have some shitty jokes?" without it meaning "hey, we should make Dave's show get canceled."

OK you answered my question as I cannot watch the video right now.

Anyone who thinks people have no right to like or not like, comment or not comment, or hold differing views on a comedic set, than they do also then should realize how much they parallel those who would block comedians doing sets like this.

Comedians, Academic settings and Authors should get far more leeway to push boundaries and edges in their material or discussions.

Citizens have every right to not like or agree with any thing said. When that bleeds into trying to censor or censure or otherwise block them that becomes problematic. ANd that applies equally to those who seem to think any type of disagreement is wrong.

Do you have more information on this? Last I heard Netflix wont release numbers to anyone.

Just the reviews really, even his prior specials weren't too well received.

I haven't watched any of them.

I laughed at a few points but covering hot button issues tends to break the levity.

As an aside, his work begs the question, why do I find it ok for him to use the f word for gay guys permissible, and K-bag's offensive.

Perhaps its the intent. We assume his stance on gays is liberal, positive, permissive, while the majority of people use the word with malice intent,

I.e. the same reason why I don't use the N word, and I understand that black people still do.

Do you think these guys have a valid argument? Should Netflix drop Capelle? Making jokes about people who are already getting killed/killing themselves as well as the over use of the N word, the one that ends with "ER"

I remember back at Boston University in mid 90’s there was a visiting lecturer whose gave a speech about how modern political correctness was the natural evolution of New England puritanical impulses. It was a tricky point to make back then but 25 years on I don’t think there can be any doubt and shit like this reaction over a comedy special is a clear example of why. Progressives are our neo-puritans.

Just the reviews really, even his prior specials weren't too well received.

I haven't watched any of them.

I was under the impression people loved all three but I don't know. This specials and his last two both got 90%+ on rotten tomatoes so I think they did pretty well. This one has to have been a success everyone is talking about it. No doubt people went on Netflix to watch it.

In all honesty though I don't understand how Netflix makes 60 million back from three specials when people are just paying $20 a month either way.

I was under the impression people loved all three but I don't know. This specials and his last two both got 90%+ on rotten tomatoes so I think they did pretty well. This one has to have been a success everyone is talking about it. No doubt people went on Netflix to watch it.

In all honesty though I don't understand how Netflix makes 60 million back from three specials when people are just paying $20 a month either way.

The last two have a rating of 67% on RT.

Do you think these guys have a valid argument? Should Netflix drop Capelle? Making jokes about people who are already getting killed/killing themselves as well as the over use of the N word, the one that ends with "ER"

you realize he literally paved the way for that to be open game for comedians? hes a fucking comedian he either makes you laugh or hurts your feelings.

Making fun of Trump is very in right now. Probably dozens of shows dedicated to that just now between Netflix and comedy central while comedy routines all over the country are poking fun at him every night.

And it's not just his appearance and mannerisms, almost everything he says can be used for comedy one way or another, and it is.

It's just not very true that there isn't anti-Right comedy right now like you seem to imply originally.

Yeah.. But it's not universally funny like the daily show was. Kimmel has a few women force laughs at his trump stuff, but it's borderline uncomfortable. Your side is the comedy right now.

Yeah.. But it's not universally funny like the daily show was. Kimmel has a few women force laughs at his trump stuff, but it's borderline uncomfortable. Your side is the comedy right now.

Yeah... that's just like your opinion, man.

Doesn't seem to reflect the reality of media at all.

Plenty of people didn't watch the Daily Show when you watched it.

As a policy, I always check with the young turks to find out if something is funny before watching it.

Yeah... that's just like your opinion, man.

Doesn't seem to reflect the reality of media at all.

Plenty of people didn't watch the Daily Show when you watched it.

Yeah... The media. You uh, you going to realize that weird little bubble is floating into lala land? Hollyweird itself is now not leading, they are behind and look weird and stupid. "Woke" is becoming "stupid."

Trump is fairly easy to make fun of but that market is already stale and saturated for the most part. I think it's more malicious than genuinely funny personally but a lot of people hate him so it sells.

He is, however, nowhere near the comedy gold mine that modern progressives have become. He is the only thing that holds them together.

Yeah... The media. You uh, you going to realize that weird little bubble is floating into lala land? Hollyweird itself is now not leading, they are behind and look weird and stupid. "Woke" is becoming "stupid."

Hollywood is still growing faster than most other sectors of the economy.

The market disagrees with your feelings.

Hollywood is still growing faster than most other sectors of the economy.

The market disagrees with your feelings.

The politics is still separated ENOUGH from the product.. But that separation is fading, and quality being impacted because of it.

The politics is still separated ENOUGH from the product.. But that separation is fading, and quality being impacted because of it.

That just isn't true. You see politics even in fucking marvel movies now for years... and they're making more money than ever before.

Back