Social Dave Chappelle went too far - do these guys have an argument?

He's a comedian, the best comedian. This special was flat out funny, along with his others.

People do need to lighten up.

Personally, when I heard that the usual crowd were pissing and moaning about it, I knew I had to watch it.

Leftist trash are involuntarily advertising for this comedy special.

I get the sense that the negative reviewers, upon realizing that they weren't going to be able to shut him down by calling him out of line, went with plan B: try and sell the idea that the special just isn't that funny.

The problem is that all the proof you need concerning whether or not a joke is funny is whether or not it elicits a laugh. I think Seinfeld addressed that on Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee. A reviewer who tries to paint a comedy special as unfunny is fighting a battle that's already over because the laughs already happened in the room. Obviously some people will watch it and genuinely feel it missed the mark in terms of being funny, but I don't think I've ever watched a standup routine from a comedian who I like and been unhappy while the crowd really enjoyed it.

It's just sort of dumb to tell people it's not worth seeing when the people who were in the room with Chappelle at the time clearly thought it was great (and we as Netflix viewers can see that unfold ourselves).

I get the sense that the negative reviewers, upon realizing that they weren't going to be able to shut him down by calling him out of line, went with plan B: try and sell the idea that the special just isn't that funny.

The problem is that all the proof you need concerning whether or not a joke is funny is whether or not it elicits a laugh. I think Seinfeld addressed that on Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee. A reviewer who tries to paint a comedy special as unfunny is fighting a battle that's already over because the laughs already happened in the room. Obviously some people will watch it and genuinely feel it missed the mark in terms of being funny, but I don't think I've ever watched a standup routine from a comedian who I like and been unhappy while the crowd really enjoyed it.

It's just sort of dumb to tell people it's not worth seeing when the people who were in the room with Chappelle at the time clearly thought it was great (and we as Netflix viewers can see that unfold ourselves).

I see where you're going here, but I refuse to believe any axiom that suggests Margaret Cho was funny.

netflix seem to be caving to the bullshit, promoting his older shows on "Popular on Netflix" instead of sticks & stones. i get that it's tailored to your personal viewing but other shows i've already watched are still up there.

Not sure what you're talking about it. When I started Netflix up last night to watch it was the top show on the list.

Netflix can't do anything here... Dave pissed off an extremely vocal minority, but the ramifications Netflix would suffer financially if they even hinted at pulling his special would be devastating.

I'd cancel the moment they announced it.

I see where you're going here, but I refuse to believe any axiom that suggests Margaret Cho was funny.
I think everybody has watched a popular comic and wondered why the hell people were laughing at someone so unfunny.

But my issue is with reviewers who are trying to pretend that Chappelle has lost it. The audience score and reaction by the crowd should be enough to show that just isn't the case. If something is funny it just makes us laugh. We laugh first and think about why afterwards.

So I think the idea has merit, at least when the comedian is a known quantity for the viewer. The Vice article, for example, was titled in such a way as to suggest that his fans shouldn't bother watching his special. And it looks ridiculous in the face of how his fans actually responded.

I don't think Cho is funny either.

Do you think these guys have a valid argument? Should Netflix drop Capelle? Making jokes about people who are already getting killed/killing themselves as well as the over use of the N word, the one that ends with "ER"

The damage report is where you see men with vaginas talk about what upsets them.

Honestly.

I love his old shit but sticks and stones was bullshit. Blah. Good zingers here and there on PC culture and making fun of War room libs. But it didn't make me,guffaw like paper tiger did.

So Bill Burr A WHITE MAN> Dave

"What were you doing? Going for a walk?.... ok, was negative 16 degrees but ok... Subway? SANDWICHES?!"

The best part for me on rewatching it is the "Subway?... SANDWICHES?!" bit and the "that sounds like something... I WOULD SAY"

Yea that's my favorite part to. The main reason is because it was my exact reaction when I heard the story. Like who the fuck stays up late and at 2am is like "I want a subway sandwich."

Not sure what you're talking about it. When I started Netflix up last night to watch it was the top show on the list.

Netflix can't do anything here... Dave pissed off an extremely vocal minority, but the ramifications Netflix would suffer financially if they even hinted at pulling his special would be devastating.

I'd cancel the moment they announced it.
i dunno, on my "trending now" i have bill burr's new show, shouldn't chappelle's newest special be trending too? i've already watched both, but i'm being told chappelle's 2017 special is hot right now rather than the newest one

for me sticks & stones is nowhere to be seen unless you search for it. it was displayed front and centre before i watched it, before the so called controversy. i'm just saying, other shows i have already seen haven't just disappeared.

sticks & stones was probably the first time I laughed at DC standup.... I like his sketch comedy in the past, but this is the first standup special I respect.

sticks & stones was probably the first time I laughed at DC standup.... I like his sketch comedy in the past, but this is the first standup special I respect.
You didn't laugh at Dave in a limo in the ghetto at 3am with a baby on the corner selling weed?

You didn't laugh at Dave in a limo in the ghetto at 3am with a baby on the corner selling weed?
Was funny but for me that was one of his weakest jokes ever. The rest of that standup was gold though. Loved the conversations with police while high.

Back