Daughter sparring Taekwondo tips?

There is a Black Belt at our Dojo (Sedokaikan)
We spar every day, and although I think I could take her down with a power and weight advantage, my 170 to her 120, she has way better style, and variety than I (blue belt)
In TKD, where power makes no difference in a tourney, focus on variety and speed. The posts about MT were good, as real contact is a great confidence booster if taken slowly for kids.

Yea, I tell her it's all about speed in tounamants. But when he spar, i let her know that speed in a real life situation has to be balenced with power.
She does very well too.

Originally posted by Torn Victor
Lighten up man, she's just a kid.

All the more reason.....

Would you teach a child to drive with the radio blaring,talking on a cell phone,fooling around with friends,and eating chips, all at the same time?

No.

You teach them the correct and proper and SAFEST way to accomplish a task.

Frankly I fail to see why anyone would compete in TKD, train in TKD, or even why it still exists. It is not a martial art. It is martial sport, which translate to dance class.

She would be better served by swimming lessons, at least those might save her some day.

The history of TKD is riddled with shamful, and dishonorable actions.

Lowkick, I agree with you more or less.

However, most kids start off soft. I started off with Okinawan Shorin-Ryu when I was younger, and now I train in MT.

Gotta give 'em a chance to get used to it [MA].

Originally posted by Lowkick
Shorin-ryu is an intresting style.
I do find it amusing that assholes like you are the first ones to come on here and tell me how wrong it is to have my child in TKD.
It's guys like you who tell me to take my child out of TKD and place her in either MT, kickboxing, wrestling, BJJ etc.... But what you dont realize is that she's TEN!!!!!!!!! She's not training for UFC 45 for fuck sake!!!
In fact, TKD is just one of many sports she's in. She is also in track & field, basketball, soccer etc.... In fact, TKD isn't even the only martial art she is taking right now.
She has also trained in Judo and has accompanied me to a few of my ju-jitsu classes recently!!!!!

Originally posted by RCCOLA
I do find it amusing that assholes like you are the first ones to come on here and tell me how wrong it is to have my child in TKD.
It's guys like you who tell me to take my child out of TKD and place her in either MT, kickboxing, wrestling, BJJ etc.... But what you dont realize is that she's TEN!!!!!!!!! She's not training for UFC 45 for fuck sake!!!
In fact, TKD is just one of many sports she's in. She is also in track & field, basketball, soccer etc.... In fact, TKD isn't even the only martial art she is taking right now.
She has also trained in Judo and has accompanied me to a few of my ju-jitsu classes recently!!!!!

When she plays soccer have her use her hands. That will balance her out better.

I never told you to take her out. If you want her someday to get her ass kicked, then by all means, keep her in.

TKD for TKD's sake is fine, I guess. Dont expect, or think for a moment, that TKD is improving her ability to defend herself. It is doing the exact opposite.

When she turns 25 or 30 and her back is fucked,her knees hurt, and her hips are ruined..well just think back on this post and blame yourself.

Not really. A lot of fancy stuff with no real application. :(

Taking TWD means that your kid will be able to defend herself against any other untrained girl her own age (local bullies or whatever) but not much more.

Put her into MT at 16 or 17 if she wants to.

But if she wants to do TWD as a sport, then let her. Just have her realise that it is not nearly as efficient (outside the dojo) as trainers often advocate. Its not much more than a sport.

Another thing, which might be a bit of a hijack for the thread, is the label of martial arts vs martial sports.
In retrospect to what was said earlier, Id rather put the label of martial sport on MMA and arty farty MA's such as wushu and capaoera can keep the martial art name. :p

Just my 2cents.

So TKD isn't the hardest kicking martial art?

Even if it is, which I doubt, that would be like saying I'm the best penalty shot taker....its great to have about once every 200 games or so.

So kicks cant be used in real life situatuions? Your crazy man!

So kicks cant be used in real life situatuions? Your crazy man!

Did I say that?
Your read comprehension is pretty low.

Originally posted by Tegelsten
Not really. A lot of fancy stuff with no real application. :(

Taking TWD means that your kid will be able to defend herself against any other untrained girl her own age (local bullies or whatever) but not much more.

Put her into MT at 16 or 17 if she wants to.
Exactly! Putting her it TKD is great as it prepars her for other types of martial atrs she can take in the future. I've already stated that she is taking Judo and LOVES coming to ju-jitsu with me.
The idea is for her to have some idea of self defence. And being that TDK is a sport, it's a great 1st martial art for her.
Once she gets older, i will ask her if she'd like to joing another type of self defence or something.
Honestly, I am putting her in this just as a form of female self defence. As well all know there are certainly enough assholes out there, and her taking TKD is just the first step.

Exactly! Putting her it TKD is great as it prepars her for other types of martial atrs she can take in the future. I've already stated that she is taking Judo and LOVES coming to ju-jitsu with me.
The idea is for her to have some idea of self defence. And being that TDK is a sport, it's a great 1st martial art for her.
Once she gets older, i will ask her if she'd like to joing another type of self defence or something.
Honestly, I am putting her in this just as a form of female self defence. As well all know there are certainly enough assholes out there, and her taking TKD is just the first step.

No. It. Does. Not.

It teaches flaws which open her up to danger. Its techniques are BAD for the human body. They are worse for the body of a CHILD. I repeat, her knees, hips, and back are all being exposed to very harmful motions.

Not to mention it gives her a false sense of security.

RC..

We can bash each other as much as we want on other threads. But as a fellow farther, a life long martial artist, and a person who really does care about children, I can only offer you my heartfelt, self reasoned, advice. On this subject I feel a lot of passion. I am not without falts, I can however tell you that my feelings an TKD where developed over the last TWENTY years. At 11 I started in TKD. I stayed in it for 5 years. Over that time I saw (and had one) some very bad injuries.
Later in life I began to study the function and form of the human body. It is through this very unscientific study that I came to the opinion that TKD is some VERY POOR, FUNDAMENTALLY FLAWED techinques. For example: THe manner in which they throw most kicks is by placing the foot on the ground and then pivoting on that foot. When they do this they apply great force to the knee joint. They alsp position the knee joint in a way that makes it more likely the force will damage the joint. In contrast watch the way a Thai fighter places his foot before throwing a thigh kick. They almost always turn the foot out BEFORE placing it on the ground. This is only the tip.

if tkd is so hard on the body then why do tkd fighters careers last longer than muay thai fighters careers?

Back