Daughter sparring Taekwondo tips?

R

RCCOLA

My 10 yr old daughter in a yellow belt in taekwondo and they have a tournament comming up. So likes to spar but because she is so tall, well taller than the average 10 yr old girl, she has long legs.
She finds it frustrating to spar in the Dojang as her oponents just side step he kicks. So she doesn't truley get to spar.
So I spar with her in the evenings and let her kick the crap out of me! Ouch!!! LOL
So now I'm teaching her some stand up tricks to fool the others. Like stepping foreward with a fake kick and throwing a jab instead.
We watched the Randleman - Ninja match so she could see the end where Kevin took the kick and then threw a HARD hook punch back. So we practice with me throwing a middle kick, her blocking it & then throwing a wicked hook punch to my body.
Can you guys give me any more idea's for us to use?

regards

Take her to a MT gym and she'll be better at sparring

well u say she has long legs so she should be hard to just sidestep and kick. i'd say work on speed/agility. tkd sparring's all about speed and skill. and cardio, since she'll probably have to spare 2 or 3 times a night on the tournament.

not sure about too much punching though, it's good to knock some1 off balance or sometimes knock down when they have their leg in the air. but in tkd it's just hard to score points and almost impossible to ko with that hugo on and no head shots. for street fight,self defence, overall ma they'd be good.

Originally posted by Boog[e]Man
Take her to a MT gym and she'll be better at sparring
"MT gym"? I'm not familiar with that. What is it?

If she has long legs, practice using them to her advantage, working the ranges eg moving from kicking range to punching range, keeping her opponent away etc. also practice fast low hook kicks they are the hardest to block, so its easier to score points that way.

Boogeman, you recommend MT to a 10 year old girl? You mustn't be serious.... . Personally I don't recommend MT to teenagers. Too much bone contact and muscle training uses 60% of your hormone that is ought to be used for your growth; in order to toughen your muscle and deposit calcium in certain parts of bone. Too much weight training or MT training is not recommended for teenagers who's in the edge of growing. If you want real sparring at that age, then go to a boxing gym.

Originally posted by Crimson Tiger
Boogeman, you recommend MT to a 10 year old girl? You mustn't be serious.... . Personally I don't recommend MT to teenagers. Too much bone contact and muscle training uses 60% of your hormone that is ought to be used for your growth; in order to toughen your muscle and deposit calcium in certain parts of bone. Too much weight training or MT training is not recommended for teenagers who's in the edge of growing. If you want real sparring at that age, then go to a boxing gym.

I have to disagree with you on this one. We have kids who start training at 5 and have their first match (with headgear and shinpads) at 7 or 8. And in Thailand kids start their pro careers at a very young age. And thailand produces the best standup fighters in the world.

But none of this is really helping to answer RC's original question...

RCCOLA:

1) I don't think learning how to punch helps to win a TKD tornament. She's a 10 yr old girl, and no matter how hard she train, she wouldn't be able to have punch power to drop an opponent through her protective equipment which is mendatory to wear in a TKD match.

2) Again she's a 10 yr old girl and she's been training in a dojang, where teaching is not a very serious. I don't think she will be able to do some very nice sequences of kicks to score - or throw multiple kicks at one time. You'd better stick with simple technique

My advice: She has an advantage - She's tall. And she and her opponents are very young and untrained. If you stick with her advantage, I don't think your daughter's gonna lose to anybody in her age unless she faces some genius.

Here's a simple tactics that might work:

-> Step in round house - step back.

Do this changing your stance from orthodox to south paw occasionally. Kick from left - or right. You should step back in order to avoid counter. This will be enough for her age. If not,

-> Step in round house(left/right) - Round house(right/left) -
step back.

In case her opponent charges you, it will be best if she can counter with a jumping back kick, which I assume she can't so...

Either "Push kick" or "Step back and score with left-right-left-right roundhouse."

Rexholio: I know they train earily in Thailand. Because they devote their life to MT. Does RCCOLA wants his daughter to be a pro-fighter? I guess not. She's 10 yrs and she's enjoying her point-sparring sports. Let her be.

Plus what I've said about growing and hormone is true - there are many reports about this. Too much hard training in early your age is bad for your growth unless your genetically gifted. Unless you wants to become a pro-fighter (you have divisions, so it won't matter much although you don't grow up)

Dude, you're just being a puss.

There is nothing wrong with sparring or fighting at a young age. In fact, I've seen dozens of fights between kids under 10 and no one got hurt. The gloves are so big on these little kids anyway that they can't really do anthing to each other. Kids are also more limber and less prone to injury in that sense as well.

'Many reports' about hormones? Do you have reports that specifically address the effects of training in muay thai at a young age? If all you have are vague reports from some web sites then you really have no grounds, doc.

BTW, RC...didn't you do a similar thread not too long ago?

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=46757&highlight=daughter

Wow all of sudden call me a puss? Great habit in using the language.

Damn you guys are very aggressive whenever you encounter with minor oppositions no matter what.

Yes saying MT would be bad for your growth is my assumption based on a fact that a MT training is harsh and requires lots of bone contact - and I think it is not a fantasy to relate it with the fact that people who trained too hard at their young age generally wastes their growing hormone on their early phisycal performence which results the disadvantage of growth. I admit that I haven't seen any reports which specifically states affects of MT, but I believe that "hard training in muscle/bone" pretty much includes MT. I too was a athelete since my childhood, and I've seen many people who didn't grow tall due to their early training, although there always were exceptions.

If you disagree, fine. For I believe what you persist also came out from your knowledge/experience, not from your imagination; I respect that. But I still think it is not good for youngs to train too hard for weight lifting / serious combat sports before they reach certain age. I usually don't argue to win the debate, but to inform or get informed - especially on internet where anything would be a waste of time unless you get something out of it.

Peace.

just wanted to get this in

man there are these kids at my gym that would've destroyed me as a kid. they fight almost as well as some seasoned vets. natural instinct and athletic ability. i think training young is great, just don't over do it, balance, there is other sports too. athletic diversity helps when young especially when at an older age a child/teen wants to specialize in a sport. maybe 2-3 days of martial arts and a couple of days of other sports or just being a kid.

being a kid you pick up so many things and the body and brain learn at a tremendous rate. why not take advantage of it? this is the best time to learn. diversity in sports. balance. coordination. eye coordination. reaction time. hand coordination. footwork. if you really want to be of service to your kid's future endeavors and abilities in all things work with them on these things. do drills, but remember they're kids, short training sessions and make it fun like a game.

Yes, put yourself and your daughter in a MT gym. You'll learn how to actually hit hard with no gimmicks like "We don't use our style in the ring because it's too deadly" crap either.

Muay Thai is the real deal. If there aren't any MT gyms in your area; join a boxing gym

I know how it is to not be willing to drop your style to learn something better. I went through the same thing myself, but I'm glad I made the change.

I'd say the biggest benefit I've gotten from MT is confidence; I used to believe that I could beat anyone up(such is the mentality of many MA'ers) but now I now that I can hold my own against many good fighters with way more experience then me.

I've proven it in the ring and I have MT to thank for it. My above posts weren't meant to bash, but to enlighten.

True - there are two kinds of confidence you can earn from a MA.

One is false confidence, and the other is legitmate confidence.

Learning some real contact MA gives you true confidence, with the capability of understanding one's own limit unlike those MAs which focuses on spirit and Katas.

That is good point. But... well... I still think a 10 yr old girl should do the TKD if she likes it. I may be biased, but I think a woman cannot handle a male offender whether she learned TKD or MT. I never fought an woman for from my common sense :D In my opinion, a woman should just surprise an attacker and run away from the situation - not fight back. So I thought there is no difference in MT and TKD for a woman? Well I may be biased and I may be a sexist but I'm a conservative man :)

Back