Daniel Cormier vs Chris Weidman

Chris walks around at 230 lbs. Nelson's weight would be a supreme disadvantage, not an advantage. Obviously one right end from Country is all it would take but as shown against much slower HWs than Weidman, he's predictable and you can see the bomb from a mile away. Mir is old and has declined tremendously, Weidman would kill him. Nog too. Bigfoot is a pathetic cheater whom MMA has no place for just like ViTRTor. I like Warmaster a lot so I won't comment on that one.

then why doesn't chris fight at hw, from what I see he would get a title shot fairly quick and become the baddest man on the planet

DC is good and has good timing sure, he hasn't fought a striker like Anderson yet though, so Weidman is more proven in that regard to me.

How is Weidman's timing overrated? Did you see that elbow he landed on Munoz, his knockout of Anderson? You shouldn't judge Weidman from his fight with Maia since he took it on 11 days notice, he almost killed himself making weight.

The thing that you're not taking into consideration is that styles makes fights. Its the reason why Mayweather has been ducking Pacquaio all these years. For that reason, you cant really judge a person's striking based on one fight. As other posters have already commented, Weidman's striking versus Maia was atrocious.

At this point in both men's careers, I think that DC is the more proven fighter than Weidman is. Not to say that Weidman isn't a good fighter in his own right, however we just don't know how good. With DC, we know exactly how good he is and there's no real mystery with him.

then why doesn't chris fight at hw, from what I see he would get a title shot fairly quick and become the baddest man on the planet

He's the only fighter in the world right now that could conceivably hold the MW, LHW, and HW titles at the same time. Not saying he'd beat Cain or anything stupid like that, but he's the only one on the planet with that shot. Think of how legendary that would be.

The thing that you're not taking into consideration is that styles makes fights. Its the reason why Mayweather has been ducking Pacquaio all these years. For that reason, you cant really judge a person's striking based on one fight. As other posters have already commented, Weidman's striking versus Maia was atrocious.

At this point in both men's careers, I think that DC is the more proven fighter than Weidman is. Not to say that Weidman isn't a good fighter in his own right, however we just don't know how good. With DC, we know exactly how good he is and there's no real mystery with him.

Again, like I told the other poster, how is it fair to judge Weidman's striking in the Maia fight where he took the fight on 11 days notice? And I am NOT judging his striking from one fight, I also brought up the Munoz fight, plus he fought Anderson twice, so I am basing my argument around three of his most recent fights, which makes my argument MUCH STRONGER than someone who is basing their argument off of ONE FIGHT in which he fought on 11 DAYS NOTICE.

Cormier is bigger, stronger and a bettter wrestler. Striking is close but Cormier has better hands and hasnt shown the Gas tank issues that Weidman has. The only advantage Weidman would have is pure BJJ.

I think Weidman would beat Cormier

Chris walks around at 230 lbs. Nelson's weight would be a supreme disadvantage, not an advantage. Obviously one right end from Country is all it would take but as shown against much slower HWs than Weidman, he's predictable and you can see the bomb from a mile away. Mir is old and has declined tremendously, Weidman would kill him. Nog too. Bigfoot is a pathetic cheater whom MMA has no place for just like ViTRTor. I like Warmaster a lot so I won't comment on that one.

Nelson has beaten the likes of Nogueira, Kongo, Mitrione, Crocop, Struve, Schaub, and even KO'd Kimbo Slice . There's no way Weidman goes into a fight with Nelson as the favorite, let alone any of the heavyweights we talked about.

You make it sound like Weidman should just completely bypass the LHW division, bypass the HW division and go straight for a title shot with Cain.

I dont think DC is that much bigger. He is shorter and has lesser reach. Weidman is a very big middle weight while DC is actually an average sized LHW despite dropping from heavy weight, I don't think a lot of his mass at HW is muscle either.

Weidman is bigger no doubt. DC might weigh more if they were to fight at LHW but Weidman has an overall bigger frame no question. Weidman is bigger than most LHWs.

That's cool with me. I'd put a G down on that fight without hesitation. Vegas would be reeling after that one

DC is good and has good timing sure, he hasn't fought a striker like Anderson yet though, so Weidman is more proven in that regard to me.

How is Weidman's timing overrated? Did you see that elbow he landed on Munoz, his knockout of Anderson? You shouldn't judge Weidman from his fight with Maia since he took it on 11 days notice, he almost killed himself making weight.

Timing and distance control can only be looked at as in overall view. specific examples don't show timing. Some people mistake timing as just reflexes but it is also an experience and skill. I could argue that he still has a relatively short MMA career which could all work in my favour as him not being a proven striker. People say Rory has shown atrocious striking defense his past few bouts, which I find retarded. Him getting smashed by Lawler in the 3rd seems to fix well with their argument, but if you actually watch a Rory fight he uses good footwork and is very good at parrying kicks and punches(most importantly counters immediately). DC imo looked very calm and never had any trouble striking and attacks very smartly with effective timing.

Timing and distance control can only be looked at as in overall view. specific examples don't show timing. Some people mistake timing as just reflexes but it is also an experience and skill. I could argue that he still has a relatively short MMA career which could all work in my favour as him not being a proven striker. People say Rory has shown atrocious striking defense his past few bouts, which I find retarded. Him getting smashed by Lawler in the 3rd seems to fix well with their argument, but if you actually watch a Rory fight he uses good footwork and is very good at parrying kicks and punches. DC imo looked very calm and never had any trouble striking and attacks very smartly with effective timing.

I submit to you that part of what I meant by Weidman's timing is actually just his reflexes. They are a bit different but not mutually exclusive. Weidman has most definitely proven to be very agile and his reflexes are fantastic - the way in which he was getting out of the way of Anderson's strikes was nothing less than exceptional.

DC has great upkicks, good timing, and knows when to strike and when to wrestler. Weidman's movement is a bit more fluid however.

Again, like I told the other poster, how is it fair to judge Weidman's striking in the Maia fight where he took the fight on 11 days notice? And I am NOT judging his striking from one fight, I also brought up the Munoz fight, plus he fought Anderson twice, so I am basing my argument around three of his most recent fights, which makes my argument MUCH STRONGER than someone who is basing their argument off of ONE FIGHT in which he fought on 11 DAYS NOTICE.

I never said that I am judging Weidman off of one fight, I said that we simply don't know how good Weidman really is because we don't have alot to judge him on. And simply judging Weidman off of his performance against Anderson doesn't really tell us that much especially because styles makes fights.

There's a reason why we're constantly seeing threads of people questioning "how good is Weidman really," and never see any threads like that for DC.

Chris didn't have success in olympic trials but they both had decorated collegiate careers. Saying the credentials aren't even close is nonsense.

Weidman is much more well rounded

And nobody on UFC roster is going to "bully" around Weidman, he is as physically gifted as Jon Jones with even better grappling and arguably more strength

And this guy called me a "troll." :shakeshead

Do yourself a favor and don't watch when Machida disposes Weidman. It will be too tramatic for you. You will not be able to handle it.

I never said that I am judging Weidman off of one fight, I said that we simply don't know how good Weidman really is because we don't have alot to judge him on. And simply judging Weidman off of his performance against Anderson doesn't really tell us that much especially because styles makes fights.

There's a reason why we're constantly seeing threads of people questioning "how good is Weidman really," and never see any threads like that for DC.

Weidman's skillset might be more ambiguous but no one is doubting that he is very skilled. His potential is still an enigma, but in respect to his striking, he has proven to be at the very least extraordinarily competent.

Weidman ha been impressive. But he hasn't shown that he has better striking than DC. I really wonder if some of you watch fights.

Not gonna act like I know who would win the fight though

I submit to you that part of what I meant by Weidman's timing is actually just his reflexes. They are a bit different but not mutually exclusive. Weidman has most definitely proven to be very agile and his reflexes are fantastic - the way in which he was getting out of the way of Anderson's strikes was nothing less than exceptional.

DC has great upkicks, good timing, and knows when to strike and when to wrestler. Weidman's movement is a bit more fluid however.

Weidman is somewhat quicker considering hes at a lower weight class. I also feel like that doesn't make much sense....

Back