Daniel Cormier vs Chris Weidman

You are overly simplifying the fight in a way that downplays what Chris Weidman did in the striking department.

Weidman isn't proven. You could say overutilizes the basic footwork where you step back with your lead leg and circle around and him feinting foward and stepping back and people are seemingly impressed with his "distance control".
Weidman in the first round fought a decent pace against Maia but because of that gassed himself out later on. I don't want to critique Weidman too much but it was a type of fight where you try to pinpoint strikes and not get touched at all by the guy. Cormier is proven, he never lost a round, outmatched everyone on the feet and on the ground. I'm not trying to say Weidman is a terrible striker but I feel Cormier is a better boxer than Weidman technically, but Weidman can very well prove me wrong. Cormier lands very "safe" overhands
Timing can be emphaized on success during exchanges. Boxing is the very essence of timing, it is what its all about thats what seperates it from other traditional martial arts...Silva vs Weidman looked nothing like a boxing fight. It takes good timing to land takedowns, and Weidman successfully done that, but can you say how good Weidman is at fighting from the distance? You could grasp some of it from the Maia fight but then again you could say he took the fight on short notice...
This is where he is unproven.
Cormier isn't just gonna win the fight because he's bigger he's also gonna win because he's a better technically as a striker. Strength alone doesnt give you a fight

He's simply saying that Weidman has the size/skills to compete in all three weight classes without much modification to his body. Remember Couture held the title and was smaller that Weidman. Weidman is 6'2" with a 78" reach. His frame is big enough for HW.

How can you say that he wouldn't need "much modification to his body" if he moved to HW? He cuts to MW now for a reason.

There is a reason why Randy won that title, and that reason is Tim Sylvia. This isn't 2007.

The size and strength is what separates them, of course DC is world class, and in my opinion, the best guy in the UFC without a belt.

That's not what most people imply, though. They are implying, AS USUAL, that'certain fighters' rely on only strength, while 'others' rely on that as well as INTELLECT. It's a tired 'coded message' that will never go away on this forum. people know exactly what i'm talking about too. That's my last word on that.

Far as Cormier, I think he whips Weidman's as at the same weight. Cormier is just on another level. He is even capable of dethroning Cain.

That's not what most people imply, though. They are implying, AS USUAL, that'certain fighters' rely on only strength, while 'others' rely on that as well as INTELLECT. It's a tired 'coded message' that will never go away on this forum. people know exactly what i'm talking about too. That's my last word on that.

Far as Cormier, I think he whips Weidman's as at the same weight. Cormier is just on another level. He is even capable of dethroning Cain.

Fair enough.

Thanks for your concern idiot. Its impossible in actuality. He's the only fighter I can think of with a body that could be competitive in all three of those classes. I was stating how legendary that would be, in this thread of fantasy we are in. Not that its actually going to happen. But thanks for taking it so literal. You probably do really well in social situations with real live people in front of you.

what gave you the impression that i was concerned about you? don't thank me. thank your parents for having a mentally retarded child. unlike you, i'm capable of separating reality from fantasy.

why stop there? wouldn't it be legendary if weidman was holding all belts from all weight classes? it's fantasy so why not, right? this fantasy talk really adds value to this topic and thread.

here's a life lesson for you, son: when you don't have a clue what you are talking about, it's better to remain silent and be thought of as a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

Weidman isn't proven. You could say overutilizes the basic footwork where you step back with your lead leg and circle around and him feinting foward and stepping back and people are seemingly impressed with his "distance control".
Weidman in the first round fought a decent pace against Maia but because of that gassed himself out later on. I don't want to critique Weidman too much but it was a type of fight where you try to pinpoint strikes and not get touched at all by the guy. Cormier is proven, he never lost a round, outmatched everyone on the feet and on the ground. I'm not trying to say Weidman is a terrible striker but I feel Cormier is a better boxer than Weidman technically, but Weidman can very well prove me wrong. Cormier lands very "safe" overhands
Timing can be emphaized on success during exchanges. Boxing is the very essence of timing, it is what its all about thats what seperates it from other traditional martial arts...Silva vs Weidman looked nothing like a boxing fight. It takes good timing to land takedowns, and Weidman successfully done that, but can you say how good Weidman is at fighting from the distance? You could grasp some of it from the Maia fight but then again you could say he took the fight on short notice...
This is where he is unproven.

I don't think you are making a strong argument for Weidman's striking being overrated, but you are entitled to your opinion. What you call over-utilizing, I call part of his virtuosity.

awww you mad now because you look like a retard that just goes into threads to attack people's posts without saying anything productive? it's ok, we've all been there. And thanks for the life lesson, I was searching far and wide for a good life coach. I think I've found one in you. Lets hook up

Well, both DC and Chris would beat Jones. This would be one hell of a fight but Weidman would take it. He's too dangerous in the clinch with short power punches. DC does not have the power to KO him, he'd have to grind on top of him all 5 rounds and that wont happen. Chris late 4th round TKO

Jesus Christ...

No. Even Fitch said that Cain would beat DC and I'm a fan of both Cain and DC (check my sig). He sees what happens in sparring because he trains at AKA with them and knows what's up. So no, he wouldn't be beating Cain, at least not until he improves his overall game more. His GnP looked pretty less-than-stellar the other night and his BJJ looked very green. He made a ton of mistakes that a killer on the ground like Weidman would've immediately capitalized on. Hendo managed to get him in a crucifix (which is very embarrassing for anyone) and Hendo's offensive BJJ game is pretty bad. Hendo also escaped bad positions from the bottom many, many times against DC.

Weidman would've finished that version of Henderson inside 2 rounds. He would've had a field day with him (a guy that will be 44 in 3 months). Hendo looked absolutely horrible and before that looked terrible against Vitor (who knocked him out quickly in the 1st round). Hendo being off TRT now and being only a few months removed from age 44 is clearly showing. He was also getting beaten up by Shogun in his last fight until he was able to break his nose badly with a punch.

I don't think you are making a strong argument for Weidman's striking being overrated, but you are entitled to your opinion. What you call over-utilizing, I call part of his virtuosity.

Meaning any time he generally circles/resets he generally circles/resets to the right. But it looks kind of flashy and keeps the opponent thinking.. really has no purpose offensively and is mostly used when u get cornered in boxing

Meaning any time he generally circles/resets he generally circles/resets to the right. But it looks kind of flashy and keeps the opponent thinking

It keeps his opponents thinking and it helps him time his takedown. Plus, he is good at moving his head out of the way when his opponents throw strikes at him.

Meaning any time he generally circles/resets he generally circles/resets to the right. But it looks kind of flashy and keeps the opponent thinking.. really has no purpose offensively and is mostly used when u get cornered in boxing

Most guys circle to the right because their opponents are orthodox (right-handed). They want to circle away from the power, not into it. Against Anderson Weidman did this too and even though Anderson is a southpaw he will switch stances. As long as you circle far out enough (meaning, you have enough room to begin with) then this isn't a problem even if your opponent is a southpaw. Circling also is not the same as resetting, it's generally done before a reset even occurs and can be used as both an offensive & defensive tactic simultaneously (though mostly defensive).

If your name isn't Cain Velasquez then you have slim chance of beating DC.

I can't believe how much you can be wrong within that small post.. DC's wrestling credentials is worlds above Weidman's. Hendo would outwrestle the fuck out of Munoz. Cormier has shown KO power at HW, Weidman has shown KO power at MW. Guess which one is more impressive?

You can't be serious. Hendo got outworked by Jake Shields who grappled on a par with Maia, and Munoz outwrestled Maia. What the heck made you think Hendo could tool Munoz in wrestling?

The people saying weidman is way over hyped are going to be in for a rude awakening when he keeps steamrolling all the mw contenders. I knew this guy was something special when he first entered the sport and predicted he would eventually become champ and beat silva. He IS that good

If you think Cormier ragdolling Hendo was bad wait till you see what he would do to Weidman. It'll be a slaughter.

Back