Daniel Cormier vs Chris Weidman

lol I still don't get the Weidman love around here, cant wait for the latest hype train to be derailed so people can start being normal again

That's actually a very intriguing matchup. Could be that future blockbuster Super Fight. Especially if DC dethrones JBJ and then again in the rematch and Weidman keeps winning.

Weidman doesn't have equal or better wrestling credentials than Cormier. Not even close. But, Weidman is an accomplished wrestler in all 3 major styles - Folk (American), Freestyle (intl & Olympic sport) & Greco-Roman (intl & Olympic sport). Weidman was a Nassau County and New York State wrestling champion. He was an All-American in Cadet Freestyle and Greco Roman as well. He was a 2x All-American wrestler when he was at Nassau Community College and he was the first junior college/JUCO wrestler in history to be a NYS/New York State collegiate champion. At Hofstra University he was a 2x Division I All-American who placed 3rd in the NCAA tournament his senior year and 6th prior to that. He also did defeat both Bader and Davis in college wrestling matches (where Phil Davis scored no takedowns against him).

'MMA wrestling' however is another story. As long as you can scramble decent and get up from the bottom, have a good top [heavy] game, good takedowns (including level changes, setups and transitions from striking to grappling) and takedown defense then you can do well with the best wrestlers in the sport. Chain-wrestling is a big plus too because you're not always going to get a TD on your first or second shot or from the clinch.

As for Weidman vs. DC, it'd be a fight I'd like to see. I think that Weidman would probably beat him but if he can't keep his distance (which Chris is very good at maintaining now) then he'll be forced to fight inside and trade with a guy that is very dangerous when throwing punches in the pocket. I don't think Weidman would be able to get him down but he certainly is a better striker overall and he'd have the length, reach, power, [better] timing and intelligence to possibly make it go his way. His overall grappling is far better than DC's too (which includes his Jiu-Jitsu).

everyone in the 205 division is certainly on alert after what DC did to Hendo

Cormier's wrestling is probably the best in the division by a good margin

Even though he did not display at the other night, he does have fast strikes with good power to them, and he has a chin

Cardio does not seem to be a problem either.

It's almost like a 205 pound version of Cain running loose.

Assuming Jones makes it past Gus again, he better prepare specifically for Cormier otherwise it might be a really rough night for him.

Didnt know Weidman wrestled in the Olympics.

He was training for both the Olympics and Worlds before getting into BJJ and then eventually into MMA.

i bet he also has a K-1 Grand Prix title and and a gold medal in arm-wrasslin

What's funny is, he does... :wink:

06.jpg

Weidman was the 2003 New York State arm wrestling champion, hence that gold medal thingy around his neck.

Weidman is a better striker and has much better BJJ while Cormier would have a wrestling and strength advantage.

Interesting fight. I could see Cormier out wrestling Weidman but I could also see Weidman hitting sweeps and possibly a submission or a knock out on the feet.

Interesting fight. hard to call.

Cormier is most likely a better wrestler than Weidman, but Weidman is probably the better overall grappler. His Jiu-Jitsu and submissions seem to be much, much better than Cormier's and that has to count for something. Plus I think right now Weidman has his eye on Yoel Romero's wrestling more so than Cormier's....and Romero is an even better wrestler than Cormier.

Cormier ragdolled BF (who's about 280-285 pounds on Fight nights) and some of you actually think Weidman would give him trouble?

LMFAO!!! WOW Sherdog, you never cease to amaze me.

LMFAO, maybe you should watch the fight fucko. Cormier didn't get a single takedown, much less ragdolled Bigfoot. He simply knocked him down and then knocked him out. There was no ragdolling.

if Weidman keeps it standing i think he wins it fairly easily

on the ground is a bit more interesting as Cormier has better wrestling credentials but Weidman is supposedly some kind of BJJ prodigy

lol I still don't get the Weidman love around here, cant wait for the latest hype train to be derailed so people can start being normal again

Lol, I hate to tell you dude, but, Sherdog will never be normal. :p

I thought the Sonnen hype was bad, but this Weidman hype is ridiculous.

Weidman hype is ridiculous and I think he beats Machida.

Last edited:
This is a retarded fight, and just goes to show how ridiculous and over the top the Weidman hype is. Cormier has destroyed and man handled top heavyweights, do you guys seriously think Weidman can compete?

Or for that matter, do you really think that Weidman can seriously compete with the likes of Josh Barnett, Big foot Silva, Frank Mir, Roy Nelson? I mean we might as well start another thread about how interesting a fight Weidman vs Velasquez would be.

Back