News [Dana White] "Justin Gaethje and I need to meet, get on the same page."

suhdude

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
What do you think Dana’s gonna say to Justin?

<31>

Whatever the case I can see Dana’s Interview with the media right after that -

You know what Justin told me? He wants the Felder/Hooker winner, on a fight night card.”

2fdjs6.gif

Source:

"Here's the deal. I know you wanna fight Conor. How bout you 'fight' him for 2 minutes and put him over and I'll put so much snow in your driveway Jon Jones will become a permanent squatter!"

Dana us a joke. Making the sport a bigger joke. Rankings dont mean shit in the ufc. Boxing somehow manage to get their shit together. Recently. And ufc has become worst then boxing in regards to putting top fighters against each other

It's up to Conor honestly to save justin's ass. If Conor says he's staying at 170 then Dana has to feed him there, especially if Conor pushes the issue to fight again by summer. This puts justin in a position to either slide in and request Conor at 170 or at least hang tight and see how it unfolds at lw. Realistically he's kinda fucked but if he's patient some luck/good fortune might fall his way.

When Gaethje says he either wants the title fight or a fight with Conor

Dana:

giphy.gif

Conor's too big for Justin know.. It would've made sense before he fought Cowboy
Now its either Khabib or Jorge

Don't Tweet, Don't Instagram, any negative sh!t about Conor or unfairness or your right to fight just take this check and shut up....

Dana us a joke. Making the sport a bigger joke. Rankings dont mean shit in the ufc. Boxing somehow manage to get their shit together. Recently. And ufc has become worst then boxing in regards to putting top fighters against each other
Clumsily worded, but truly said.

Conor is so bad and good for the sport at the same time. His personality draws droves of people who wouldn't otherwise watch ufc to their television screens, but he's so good at making money for the UFC, that it damages the integrity of the hierarchy. Conor wins a fight, and gets what he wants. In an ideal world, Tony fights Khabib, and Gaethje fights the winner.

Why bother with ranking systems, if you aren't goin to use them properly ?

It's a joke.

If Khabib and Gatheje both want the fight, what exactly is Dana going to do; strip Khabib of the title for taking the #1 challenger? Good luck doing that and not completely tarnishing your business.

You know what Justin told me? He wants the Felder/Hooker winner, on a fight night card.”

This was legitimately laugh out loud funny. Got me good.

No doubt JG is getting screwed over here but I find it unlikely Conor will campaign for a rematch with Khabib next. Dana wants it because its an enormous windfall of cash and he knows the runway with Conor is now short.

JG needs to fight again to stay relevant, he can't sit out for a year, but it wouldn't surprise me if he gets the winner of Tony x Khabib.

For some guys it seems the only recourse is their skills and winning. Tony, for example, would've never even been considered for anything had he lost just one along the way. It's surprising how he kept taking risks (Pettis, Cowboy) while already being a clear numero uno contendero.

Gaethje's gonna have to crawl through some shit here, probably.

But it's risky to sit out or turn shit down. Felder, Hooker, Doostin, Lee all could jump in the title picture if they win one or two more and just say yes at the right moment.

Conor is so bad and good for the sport at the same time. His personality draws droves of people who wouldn't otherwise watch ufc to their television screens, but he's so good at making money for the UFC, that it damages the integrity of the hierarchy. Conor wins a fight, and gets what he wants. In an ideal world, Tony fights Khabib, and Gaethje fights the winner.

To be more fair to Conor ...his personality wouldn't mean anything if he wasn't winning and winning most of his fights in spectacular fashion.

Conor talked the talk and backed it up.

Conor is so bad and good for the sport at the same time.

Long term, these media sensations the UFC built up like Ronda and Conor are bad in my opinion.

Look at the biggest, most watched sports in the world - soccer globally and here in the states the NFL. They are all completely merit based. People love sports and identify with in large part because its a meritocracy. We want to know who the best is.

If the World Cup or Superbowl just featured the two most popular teams each year, overall interest in the sport would dwindle over time.

Overall interest in the UFC has been down and continues to fall. Fan interest is declining and so are the PPV events, the reality is a few tent-pole PPV events a year are a huge success and the rest are largely ignored.

The general public doesn't view MMA as a legitimate sport, its viewed as the circus coming to town. A fun thing to check on once or twice a year and never think about the rest.

The UFC won't ever get a seat at the table doing business this way. It'll make some money but its stuck in B-C class entertainment.

"Here's the deal. I know you wanna fight Conor. How bout you 'fight' him for 2 minutes and put him over and I'll put so much snow in your driveway Jon Jones will become a permanent squatter!"
<Lmaoo>{<jordan} This might be my favorite post I’ve seen in about a year

If Dana really wants to "get on the same page" as Justin, he'd better bring his checkbook. It's obvious that Conor is going to jump the queue ahead of Justin. From the perspective of "legitimate sport" this is BS, but we all know the UFC isn't a legitimate sport anymore. Unless Gaethje gets something pretty juicy to sink his teeth into, he is going to continue calling out the BS that this situation is, and take a back seat to the money Conor will bring in for WME.

Anyone remember when the UFC was "As Real as it Gets"? *sighs*

I think Justin and Dana have different ideas of what "the same page" is. In Dana's mind, it's "Justin needs to understand Conor comes first, and then Khabib, and then after some other folks there's Justin." I dont think Justin is going to leave the conversation very happy. Fucking thing sucks.

Back