Dana: "Maybe Fedor was the best in the world. I don't know."

At this point does it matter? Fedor is/was a stud, but like anything in life time goes on ad we evolve. MMA has changed, and the new HWs are amazing, more well-rounded and better than the old guard. Cain/JDS would destroy Brock or Fedor.

I don't know how anyone who's seen the Bigfoot fight can say that Brock/Fedor would have been a joke fight. Brock had a great chance at being able to take the fight to the mat and keep Fedor down and just maul him the way Bigfoot did

Disingenuous comparison because Big Foot surprisingly won the stand-up against Fedor in round 1. Granted, Fedor was brawling but Big Foot dealt with the pressure well, just like he did against Overeem. Can Brock deal with the pressure as well? History has shown that he doesn't - and he progressively got even more tentative as his MMA career started winding down.

Also disingenuous because Fedor wasn't really wary or even expecting to get taken down by Big Foot, which ultimately led to said take down. Against Lesnar, he'd DEFINITELY be wary of the takedown threat and probably wouldn't be throwing haymakers and overhands left and right leaving him vulnerable to the double leg. Just look at how much more controlled he fought against Monson - do you really think Big Foot would've gotten the takedown had Fedor fought like that?

As such, this is just hypothesizing and the fight will never take place.

Lesnar was just a less 'explosive and athletic' version of Bob Sapp. lets be honest,

Fedor is the goat

Only person he was ever submitted by was Mir, the same guy that became the first to submit Nogueira. He rematched that BJJ black belt and destroyed him from top position. Fedor had trouble grappling with Brett Rogers, you really think it'd be a walk in the park for him to grapple with Lesnar? Lesnar's lunchbox fists would've closed Fedor's eye shut.

Brock is still inexperienced in bjj, dont be stupid. Frank also has probably one of the worst chins at HW and is pretty poor at everything except bjj. Bigfoot is the better all-around fighter and Lesnar wouldn't be able to stay on top of Fedor like Bigfoot was, let alone avoid being submitted or give up the position and end up in the fetal position taking unanswered blows.

Pre-diverticulitus Brock would have had a chance but he would have gotten arm barred in the end.

Wait, Cain made your "GOAT" breakdance, and he says Fedor's GOAT.

Brock "Master of the Fetal Position" Lesnar. At least Fedor fights back when he gets hit.

Haven't your ilk gone back to WWE yet?

^^ agree

I don't know how anyone who's seen the Bigfoot fight can say that Brock/Fedor would have been a joke fight. Brock had a great chance at being able to take the fight to the mat and keep Fedor down and just maul him the way Bigfoot did
Brock does not take a punch well and Fedor is one of the better punchers at HW in terms of speed and power. He just needed to land one on Brock to change the complexion of the fight.
I don't know how anyone who's seen brocks fights with velasquez and overeem could think brock would have had a great chance at that or any time in his career against fedor. Lesnar isn't BF. No disrespect to lesnar but bigfoot actually can take a punch.

I think its at the very least an interesting fight. Lesnar probably isn't quite as vicious as Bigfoot on top but he'd probably have an easier time getting to the mat. I'm confident Fedor would survive but its possible Brock could get enough top control to get the decision or possibly get a doctor's stoppage by cutting Fedor open with an elbow.

Wow, are you kidding me? Did you see what Bigfoot did to Fedor's face?

I would argue that Big Foot is an even BIGGER threat than Brock on top. His top control the very best in MMA IMO and he has basically destroyed everyone that he has ever gotten on top of - minus Werdum.

If Fedor ran over Brock after signing with the UFC he would have summarily lost to Dos Santos and Cain anyhow. I'd also strongly favor Cormier over him.

Werdum, Bigfoot are not the top 2 guys of the HW division. Hendo isn't even a top 2 MW or LHW. I'd argue there is a pretty substantial gap between them and the guys fighting tomorrow night in the main event, who individually destroyed both of those guys.

Cain and Dos Santos mopped the floor with guys who mopped the floor with Fedor. It's safe to say he couldn't have reigned over the UFC HW title even if he did beat Brock.

If Fedor ran over Brock after signing with the UFC he would have summarily lost to Dos Santos and Cain anyhow. I'd also strongly favor Cormier over him.

Werdum, Bigfoot are not the top 2 guys of the HW division. Hendo isn't even a top 2 MW or LHW. I'd argue there is a pretty substantial gap between them and the guys fighting tomorrow night in the main event, who individually destroyed both of those guys.

Cain and Dos Santos mopped the floor with guys who mopped the floor with Fedor. It's safe to say he couldn't have reigned over the UFC HW title even if he did beat Brock.

Except, MMA hardly works that way.

If you look at Fedor's three losses, you'll find one primary recurring theme in each of them: pure recklessness.

1. Jumping into Werdum's guard when he wasn't even hurt.
2. Big Foot - throwing haymakers blindly just to invite a clinch and takedown against a far bigger man.
3. Hendo - once again head-hunting against someone who's very dangerous.

Now look at how he fought in last three fights of his career, far more controlled and with purpose. And he was still fast and powerful as hell. I think that version of Fedor is still a threat to anyone in the HW division today, including Cain.

Hardy is only a big name due to his talk and british popularity. He was never a great fighter and GSP embarrassingly couldnt finish him when he had him in multiple dominant positions. Do u really think Hardy was better fighter than someone like Semmy?
WW Serra wasnt a big name. Just b/c he outstruck and made GSP tap to strikes doesnt mean he was some world beater or high level competition.

Then theres Strasser, Mayhem, Spratt
Fighters like Kos, Alves, Sherk, Trigg, Diaz arent exactly worlds better than Coleman, Sylvia, Arlovski, Hunt, Rizzo

And Anderson always fighting big name competition........LOL
Leites, Irvin, Cote, Lutter, Bonnar(being a big name b/c u lost a sloppy fight doesnt make u a high level competition, he wasnt even top 30 @ LHW), Fryklund

UFC had alot more media and hype backing their fighters

While I admit guys like Serra and Spratt aren't much to brag about, Sherk, Fitch, Shields, Penn, Hughes, Condit and Alves were all rated top 10 p4p

Fedor did fight some great names but out of his 35 wins there's no denying a lot of which were not exactly A+ fighters

While I admit guys like Serra and Spratt aren't much to brag about, Sherk, Fitch, Shields, Penn, Hughes, Condit and Alves were all rated top 10 p4p

Fedor did fight some great names but out of his 35 wins there's no denying a lot of which were not exactly A+ fighters

Being the GOAT is more than just beating the best fighters. It's a whole lot more than that. Honest question, do you really think people will miss GSP when he's gone?

Except, MMA hardly works that way.

If you look at Fedor's three losses, you'll find one primary recurring theme in each of them: pure recklessness.

Look at how he fought in last three fights of his career, far more controlled and with purpose. I think that version of Fedor is still a threat to anyone in the HW division today, including Cain.

Emotions run high when it comes to Fedor for a variety of reasons, to the point of full on delusion. At the end of his career, Fedor was incapable of hanging with modern, elite HW's. Luckily, he didn't even bump up against the best of the best.

He didn't get stopped three times in a row by accident, he got stopped three times in a row because he fought dangerous guys without a break or favorable matchup in between.

As soon as he went back to fighting lesser men, he finished his career with W's.

Hahaha. Brock would have lost mentally. He was hopeless. Oh he beat Mir and a gassed out Darwin, what a dynamite opponent for Fedor. Ridiculous discussion! And let's face it - Dana is branding. That's all, I bet as an mma fan he was eager to watch Fedors fights.. just in hiding.

Brock fought Darwin hunh?

Charles-Darwin-9266433-1-402.jpg

Only person he was ever submitted by was Mir, the same guy that became the first to submit Nogueira. He rematched that BJJ black belt and destroyed him from top position. Fedor had trouble grappling with Brett Rogers, you really think it'd be a walk in the park for him to grapple with Lesnar? Lesnar's lunchbox fists would've closed Fedor's eye shut.
Lets be honest here. As talented a grappler as Mir is he folds rather quickly when smothered and hit a few times. It happened before Brock and after Brock and it has never happened to Fedor. He was still mentally game after the 2nd round after taking that beating from Bigfoot. Frank would've been stopped before the halfway mark of that round.

That's not to say Brock couldn't win but Fedor has a lot more heart and resilience than Mir
Massive Fedor fan here and I agree if brock was able to get on top, which was a big possibility, Fedor was far superior in every aspect of MMA aside from the wrestling and Size would have been a big issue.

But I believe that after getting hit a few times by fedor Brock would have folded, just like he did vs Overeem and Cain. Silva is a gamer and was able to take a few shots and still pushed for that td and top control.

That fight was entirely a demonstration about big fighter vs small fighter though, and it very well could have happened if Fedor did fight Brock. I still laugh at how Bigfoot stated it was all skill afterwards, giving himself a big pat on the back, when all he did was use his size to advantage.

Bigfoot did use skill. His size certainly helped but it was both. He was able to pass Fedor's guard and maintain mount while raining do huge punches, you need a good amount of grappling experience and technique to do that to someone like Fedor. If size was all that was needed Fedor would've lost a long time ago. Hell, Aleks would probably have beaten him if size was all that mattered but iirc Fedor has beaten him numerous times in Sambo. Either that or Aleks admitted to getting his ass handed to him by Fedor in training.

Emotions run high when it comes to Fedor for a variety of reasons, to the point of full on delusion. At the end of his career, Fedor was incapable of hanging with modern, elite HW's. Luckily, he didn't even bump up against the best of the best.

He didn't get stopped three times in a row by accident, he got stopped three times in a row because he fought dangerous guys without a break or favorable matchup in between.

As soon as he went back to fighting lesser men, he finished his career with W's.

Werdum is arguably the number one contender in the UFC right now :/ Monson also challenged for a UFC title and has didn't quite fighting after gaining a 5-3 record gtfo lol

Werdum is arguably the number one contender in the UFC right now :/ Monson also challenged for a UFC title and has didn't quite fighting after gaining a 5-3 record gtfo lol

Dos Santos summarily knocked out Werdum, and I find it entirely likely he does it a second time should they meet again. Cain would also be a very heavy betting favorite over Werdum.

I couldn't make out your sentence about Monson, but everyone here will agree he's not a meaningful win for Fedor at the time he fought him.

Back