Cuban Boxing Fundamentals

@Dexter
I always thought of the russian/cuban hook as a downwards hook like the one GGG hit opponents with from above.
it's almost similar to an overhand.

and here is your boy

@Dexter
I always thought of the russian/cuban hook as a downwards hook like the one GGG hit opponents with from above.

and here is your boy

We call it "lead overhand" :) and I don't think it's a russian invention, 'cause majority of technique in USSR boxing was borrowed from English / French schools. If we speak about hooks, there're 3 major variants in soviet school, for 3 different distances:

1 - With a palm to oneself - for infighting.
2 - Palm down - for the middle range.
3 - "Inverted glass" - for long distance / swing.

UPD. I forgot to add - in some soviet schools (for example, in Leningrads "Dinamo") all hooks were taught to do with palm to oneself.

That was a really nice explanation from you and the OG, Frolov.
Those downward hooks he showed at maximal distance was what I was talking about.
Pretty unique.

That was a really nice explanation from you and the OG, Frolov.
Those downward hooks he showed at maximal distance was what I was talking about.
Pretty unique.

It's old-school english "swing" punch. We were trained to do it, but officially it is considered obsolete and of little use due to too much backswing (the Soviet school of that period is very fixated on the technical side, the technique is first and foremost).

@Dexter

and here is your boy

They use that in sambo as well simply because they use that punch to get to the clinch and take people down.

Fedor made a career out of it

They use that in sambo as well simply because they use that punch to get to the clinch and take people down.
Fedor made a career out of it

Yep. 'Cause rules of combat sambo were developed by grapplers to deal with strikers :). But nowadays I must admit that the striking in combat sambo has stepped far forward compared to the 90s.

Yep. 'Cause rules of combat sambo were developed by grapplers to deal with strikers :). But nowadays I must admit that the striking in combat sambo has stepped far forward compared to the 90s.

My frend was number 3 in western europe

Competed in st pete as well

It's old-school english "swing" punch. We were trained to do it, but officially it is considered obsolete and of little use due to too much backswing (the Soviet school of that period is very fixated on the technical side, the technique is first and foremost).

It definitely has uses. However, I've long noticed that rampant perfectionism is a weakness in former USSR systems and the minds they tend to hone. Another trainer once asked me how I'd defeat systems that breed fighters like Golovkin, Lomanchenko, etc. I sent them this scene from "The Patriot:"

This actually panned out when my Amateur sparred Akhmadaliev. He was so positive hed be able to control my guy that when we made adjustments he literally had no plan B. It was perfection or nothing

Ofc, if it is possible, flowcharts are tailored after opponent's research.

Usually ppl have some plan A, B, C.
Some still mainly sticks with some beloved by them techniques and does have predictable game, so against them to plan is easier.

Sage had pretty predictable reactions against possible high kicks but enough good to choose better prepare punch - bomb. Fool him till comfortable opening and still enough distance to land pretty simple punch.
Mike most likely didn't realized that his trump card was distance closing speed etc...
When he get just a bit slower, this was another Mike.

Last edited:
Sports sambo and instructors training for sport sambo was/is decently standartised.

Combat sambo outside of Russia etc…..it depends.
Striking coach might be with different striking background from another arts, and ...if a guy bang, didn't care with what type of kick or punch that much.
If one combat sambo coach in europe is with background in karate, another in TKD, kicks taught by them might be not that similar.

It definitely has uses. However, I've long noticed that rampant perfectionism is a weakness in former USSR systems and the minds they tend to hone. Another trainer once asked me how I'd defeat systems that breed fighters like Golovkin, Lomanchenko, etc. I sent them this scene from "The Patriot:"

This actually panned out when my Amateur sparred Akhmadaliev. He was so positive hed be able to control my guy that when we made adjustments he literally had no plan B. It was perfection or nothing

A true champion should easily adapt to change and be unorthodox. If we look at the really BIG names in USSR boxing, they all exactly corresponded to these principles. For example, Valery Popenchenko, who, almost by decree of the Supreme Council, was tried to force to accept the “right” /“proper” stance:

Awesome explanation!

around minute 5:44 there is an old shadowboxing footage, do you know the name?

Unfortunately, I do not. The guy seems familiar, but I can’t remember him. I'll ask the author of the video and post the answer here.

Last edited:
adapt to change and be unorthodox.
This was popular for point karate in 90 ies. Use one stance, then another.

There is also stuff that some people are more close to ambidextrous than other people.
Most hardest nightmare in KB are guys that almost equally are able ( and are comfortable ) kick with both legs.

In europe in older times some teachers attempted even enforce that all kids use for writing only right hand.
Later more modern teachers admitted that this not always is possible. With some kids this was possible. Still they then were able use for writing also their "inproper" hand. When teacher isn't in class etc.

Well, I thought it’s commonly known that from working in opposite stance in training you add to your “normal” stance. This is how it’s taught in our sport institutes.

A true champion should easily adapt to change and be unorthodox. If we look at the really BIG names in USSR boxing, they all exactly corresponded to these principles.

Sure, but all humans are subject to vanity, pride, and arrogance. No such thing as a flawless Champion or even system. To suggest so completely undermines the core idea of Sport.

arrogance
Attempts to be like Ali2 from 60 ies are best example.

Yes, because majority of modern CW TOP boxers aren't that agile and fast than Ali from 60 ies.
He was in HW...
They can't afford to do stuff that did prime Ali because they are too...slow for this.

Or for not enough agile guy to play ''drunken master'' with a guy that does have considerably faster hands.

In europe in older times some teachers attempted even enforce that all kids use for writing only right hand.
Later more modern teachers admitted that this not always is possible. With some kids this was possible. Still they then were able use for writing also their "inproper" hand. When teacher isn't in class etc.
It was common in most systems of schooling back in the day, my mother is left handed and can write with both hands, because she was forced to in school (new zealand)

One from my friends was forced but still wasn't able to use " proper " hand for writing.
Interestingly his both hands were almost equally strong.
I knew about one translator and writer that was able to write with both hands without special teaching. He didn't had any experience with combat sport training or like this.

Back