Cuban Boxing Fundamentals

You know what I like the most about this channel? Every video is about demonstrating actual techniques. I don't have to sit there and listen to some guy rambling for 10 minutes about stuff I already know.

Yup, super well demonstrated too. I looked into their gym its in the north of England, one of their coaches is actually former USSR

Let's set up a GoFundMe to liberate Comrade @Dexter from Gulag re-education over free speech on an American forum!

I'll start OnlyFans as you've adviced me <Lmaoo>. Would you help your homie? <Moves>

Would you do that step-by-step analysis if I renounced capitalism?

Everything for my sherbros :). I'll do it to help the Free World.

Soviet Jab Tutorial, for example:

- We never let the back foot to be in that perpendicular position, it's always angled around 45 degrees towards opponent. That stance the kid's using reminds me very much of a mexican style.
- In training exercises you need to rotate out the heel of the lead leg more while jabbing, for the purpose of garanteed usage of hips. It's very important in case of newbies who try either to punch only with hands or just by rotating the trunk.
- Full extension of the lead hand only in shadowboxing, not when punching wall pads or heavy bags. You don't need to fully extend your hand, 'cause you're punching through your target, not to the surface of it. If your hand is fully extended when you finished the punching motion, you didn't transfer all you energy into it.
P.S. IRC, Frolov had a good video about that on his channel.
Plus, that habit of overextending your elbows is a very bad one, your opponent could easily damage it accidently (with parrying) or with purpose.
- Head is not centered\on the center line! While punching, you need to remove it from the central line 'cause your opponent could do the jab at the same time as you and you end up eating it.
- Fist is rotated from vertical to horizontal position almost at the point of contact with the target, not like the boy's doing it from the beginning.

P.P.S. When you're OK with the stepping variant, try to do that jab on pendulum bouncing, it was developed exactly with that motion in mind.

Head is not centered\on the center line! While punching, you need to remove it from the central line 'cause your opponent could do the jab at the same time as you and you end up eating it.
This is something I was taught too. idea was: Shadow in the mirror, just being stationary, if you jab and don't move you get hit as shown in reflection

@Dexter Why does the "soviet" style taught by that Irish coach look exactly like Lomachenko's though?

Lol, these agility ladder drills... Didn't know we were doing boxing exercises when in childhood:

Don't know if it's of any interest to anyone, but will post nevertheless.
That's how we do typical combo building in partner drills:

Rounds 1-2 (second round change of roles):
A - jab
B - any defence, jab

Rounds 3-4:
A - jab
B - any defence, jab
A - 1,1-2

Rounds 5-6:
A - jab
B - any defence, jab
A - def, 1-1-2
B - any defence, cross or jab

Rounds 7-8:
A - jab
B - any defence, jab
A - def, 1-1-2
A - slip inside, 3b (shovel hook to the liver)

Rounds 9-10:
A - jab
B - any defence, jab
A - def, 1-1-2
A - slip inside, right hook on stand-up

time-stamped

Rounds 11-12
A - jab
B - any defence, jab
A - def, 1-1-2
А - slip inside, either 3b-right hook or right hook-3b.

Another good addition after 1,1-2 is another 2 (more push than punch, to put your opponent off-balance and shut his line of sight), then 3b. Important - that combo is very demanding for proper footwork, you step forward with every punch, especially including second cross.
During the rounds you don't need to smash at each other non-stop, move freely, throw another punches, defend, engage in clinch, etc. After your own combo finisher you either pull-out with a jab or do some defensive action (ask your bud to throw something at you so you won't end up staying on spot and enjoying your mastery aka "eating counters" ;).

Don't know if it's of any interest to anyone, but will post nevertheless.
That's how we do typical combo building in partner drills:

Rounds 1-2 (second round change of roles):
A - jab
B - any defence, jab

Rounds 3-4:
A - jab
B - any defence, jab
A - 1,1-2

Rounds 5-6:
A - jab
B - any defence, jab
A - def, 1-1-2

Rounds 7-8:
A - jab
B - any defence, jab
A - def, 1-1-2
A - slip inside, 3b (shovel hook to the liver)

Rounds 9-10:
A - jab
B - any defence, jab
A - def, 1-1-2
A - slip inside, right hook on stand-up

time-stamped

Rounds 11-12
A - jab
B - any defence, jab
A - def, 1-1-2
А - slip inside, either 3b-right hook or right hook-3b.

Another good addition after 1,1-2 is another 2 (more push than punch, to put your opponent off-balance and shut his line of sight), then 3b. Important - that combo is very demanding for proper footwork, you step forward with every punch, especially including second cross.
During the rounds you don't need to smash at each other non-stop, move freely, throw another punches, defend, engage in clinch, etc. After your own combo finisher you either pull-out with a jab or do some defensive action (ask your bud to throw something at you so you won't end up staying on spot and enjoying your mastery aka "eating counters" ;).

Very similar to what I teach right now

Nice "clash" of styles in this sparring.
The Frolov style with the pendulum movement and the Uzbek style who seems more similar to the usa professional style which uses the hips and the jab to set up defense and counters with minimal in and out movement.

EDIT: Frolov even if he was to watch Pernell Whtitaker sparring I bet he would
criticise him for not using chelnok :p

Last edited:
this comment is totaly nonsense but the best part is that in first video the boxxing bag is brand from slovakia very small brand but with great quality gear for matrial arts, lol love to see it in world

Don't know if this has been shared before, but i found it interesting. Footage and commentary of Soviet Boxing, specifically about infighting

The Bolsheviks knew a bit about in fighting. I wonder what their boxing program was like ;)

Back