Cuban Boxing Fundamentals

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by AndyMaBobs, Jun 12, 2018.

1. ThufirHawat White Belt

About 2% of humans are naturally ambidextrous. Numbers may vary according to source, but the point is it's a rare thing.
    The rest of us are better served learning the same thing twice if we want to do it with the less coordinated hand, and then usually it's only as a kind of back-up;).

2. eneck Yellow Belt

topic very good, my congratulations!

3. Dexter Orange Belt

Southpaws

4. What is a hook to the body ? Those are upercuts imo

5. Sinister Doctor of Doom Staff Member Senior Moderator

Not sure how it's an opinion, but an uppercut is palm up.

6. Dexter Orange Belt

Straights

7. tekkenfan Black Belt

8. Dexter Orange Belt

Home drills for punchers

9. Dexter Orange Belt

To revitalize the topic. The fights are old, but it’s interesting to watch from the position of modern boxing.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
    kenji goh likes this.
  10. kenji goh Blue Belt

@Dexter, watched the video series you posted in another thread, where 2 Russians talk about the different boxing styles of various countries.
    Like this one
    Pretty sweet videos. Wish they had english subs.

I would love to see them make a video about the Japanese style of boxing.
    Nobody talks much about it which is weird considering the boxing powerhouse Japan is through history.

Also what's exactly the deal with that channel? It belongs to the short bald guy and he has as his guests the tall bald guy and the other tall guy with the big beard who was Isaev's student?
    He has also made videos with a Kung fu guy. What's the concept?

Also what's the deal with this channel? It's even messier meaning I don't get whose channel is it.
    So many different coaches in the videos, both old and young.
    I like this guy's stuff although he has the least amount of videos in the channel

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
    Dexter and AndyMaBobs like this.
  11. Dexter Orange Belt

1st channel - Battle Nerds. Author invites different famous coaches from his region (mainly S-Petersburg) to discuss styles, schools, exercises, etc.stuff. Also a lot of funny content with Russian bullshit/fake MA schools.
    2nd channel - Coach. Similar concept, different coaches taught their favourite exercises, moves, etc.

On Japanese boxing style: good channel with some interesting stuff https://www.youtube.com/user/sunliveorio. For example, Kuniaki Shibata seminar. Shibata was a famous guy himself:

zapataxiv likes this.
  12. AndyMaBobs Brown Belt

Y'know your basement? Well right underneath that.
    That channel is great, it's a karate channel run by a doctor

Valhoven and Dexter like this.
  13. kenji goh Blue Belt

I noticed that the people in the channels I mentioned are crazy about western boxers
    and funnily enough boxers that share many similar traits with the russian school, like Tyson and Roy Jones.

I never noticed before how common and how efficient is to punch while making explosive little steps or jumbs like Isaev, his student and Frolov teach.
    I thought the western way of throwing the right hand, by being firmly grounded is the only way to go, yet the best of the best really often punch the 'russian' way.You can see virtually any big western name doing it, the difference is that Russians recognised it as a technique and systematically analyzed and taught it and their students build their style around this move.

In the west I have seen guys like Chocolatito or Duran doing it, but it's just something they do in specific occasions during the fight.
    When double and triple hooking for example.

14. Dexter Orange Belt

We’d discussed this with my western buds several times - in RusFed, funnily, there’s a great demand for coaches who have exp in UK/US boxing styles. Grass is greener, chicks are hotter on the other side :).
    About Tyson and RJJ - they are like idols in our boxing community, complete adoration. You need to see for yourselves how everybody rooted for old Jones even when he fought Russian guy.
    What’s more funny, nothing like that in sambo/BJJ field, BJJ is not that popular.

P.S. Rare footage - Cuban national team shadowboxing exercises:

Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
    zapataxiv, kenji goh and AndyMaBobs like this.
  15. lakamas george