Cro Cop's team member on Fedor fight:One significant mistake was made

how many times did he land to the head at about 5:30 in the first?

If you are talking about the flurry he had, 2-4 times depending on your definition of a "significant strike". The opening punch and the grazing head kick are clear, the rest you have to judge from a difficult camera angle. Mirko landed 19 total strikes in that round by stats, but only 7 was credited as significant. Maybe that's where your different opinion comes from, and that's ok.

I don't think that was a weakness of Mirko's, he was one of if not the best counter strikers in MMA history(probably him or Anderson) and so much of his sucess was down to destorying fighters liek Wand, Aleks, Igor, Herring, etc who were trying to chase him down. Its just Fedor was that dam good standing that he could actually pull it off, the same way Nog didnt have a weakenss to being GnPed vs anyone else.

Its were alot of Fedor's status comes from, he fought the two other best HW's of his era who had two of the most dangerous offencive games in MMA(Crocop's counters, Nogs guard) and he sucessfully went into the lions den.

It still was the best way to beat mirko. That doesnt mean it was easy or that mirko had no answer, just that although it was dangerous, it was even worse to fight mirko on the outside and not be the aggressor.

It still was the best way to beat mirko. That doesnt mean it was easy or that mirko had no answer, just that although it was dangerous, it was even worse to fight mirko on the outside and not be the aggressor.

True although I do think Fedor could potentially have won such a contest as well, look at the 3rd Nog fight for example were he was very effective on the outside. Able to explode forward with punchs from a longer distance than Nog so would not IMHO have been as vunerable to being eaten up via mid and lowkicks.

Last edited:
I have experienced that jet-lag (France and Croatia are on the same time zone) to Japan, it sucks but I don't see why it would have suddenly came back and hurt Mirko after being already in Japan for a few days.
It pulsates for up to 7 years IIRC.

Half? Jesus Christ go back and watch it. No that’s not even remotely correct. It’s funny to me because huge fans of pride talk about this fight all the time. But when they describe it they never describe it correctly. As if they had their eyes closed.

I've watched it plenty of times, it wasn't quite half the fight but close enough. About half the 1st and 2 rounds, a little in the 3rd. 41.65346% of the fight was spent standing, is that better?

Fedor wasn't a better fighter, just a bigger one. He outweighed Cro Cop by 15 lbs. If Cro Cop outweighed Fedor by 15 lbs, Cro Cop would have won. Fedor might win, but Cro Cop is the better fighter.
lol..

<LikeReally5>

Cro Cop is a douche. one of my favorite fighters but he comes off as really unlikable.

Is the footage sped up at 4:03 or so? That's insane hand speed for a HW.

Not sped up, it's just prime Fedor's speed.

You can the see the whole footage from the documentary PRIDE made on him before the PRIDE HW GP 2004 semi finals.
They made one small doc on each of the semi finalists ( Fedor, Nog, Sergei Kharitonov and Naoya Ogawa )

You need to attend a UFC fan expo...

tumblr_nqv5pylHuX1seoflco1_540.gifv

View attachment 797728

The most impressive stat from the fight is Fedor's incredible 80% sig.strike defense against prime Mirko.

Fedor was the most elusive fighter for a long time despite his unorthodox style, due to his quickness, reaction time and looseness...
He was in front of prime Machida and prime Anderson as the top three fighters absorbing the less strikes per minutes according to a fightmetrics article from around a decade ago.

Once jet lag sets in it takes 2-4 weeks to get rid of the fatigue and all the effects.
You either fly over there and perform right away before jet lag sets in or you go really early and take a few weeks to adjust, anything in between and you will probably feel the effects of jet lag and wont perform at your best.
It is possible this made a difference, who knows......

typical balkan alpha male BS: "yes, we have been maximum prepared, we have been on the top, the win was ours 100% but unfortunately this one little mistake cost us the win-bla-bla-bla otherwise we would have won, swear by my mom!"

Fedor was better that day, he beat Mirko in every aspect, he was dominant in the stand up, he was dominant on the ground, Mirko was good but always a few steps behind Fedor. Man, I love Mirko and he never made excuses about this loss but this weiner is just ridiculous.

View attachment 797728

The most impressive stat from the fight is Fedor's incredible 80% sig.strike defense against prime Mirko.

Most of Fedor's punches did not land cleanly and Mirko was never hurt on the feet once

Fedor was the only one who was actually hurt on the feet in that entire fight.

giphy.gif

Fedor's head snapped back several times and he did the chicken dance.

typical balkan alpha male BS: "yes, we have been maximum prepared, we have been on the top, the win was ours 100% but unfortunately this one little mistake cost us the win-bla-bla-bla otherwise we would have won, swear by my mom!"

Fedor was better that day, he beat Mirko in every aspect, he was dominant in the stand up, he was dominant on the ground, Mirko was good but always a few steps behind Fedor. Man, I love Mirko and he never made excuses about this loss but this weiner is just ridiculous.
He was not dominant in the standup.

That's pretty damn lame. Why would a guy who had been KO'd and submitted in the 20 months prior "underestimate" the undefeated(technically 1 BS cut loss from illegal strike) champ who'd be wrecking everybody? And Fedor clearly didn't have "a year or more" to dedicate to preparing for Cro Cop since he had to face Nog twice and avenge his BS cut loss in the year leading up to that fight.

Back