Social Crisis' at Columbia University forces classes online, arrests at Yale College campuses are becoming battle grounds for Hamas and Isreal

Where was free speech in 2020 where anyone who even slightly offended far left activists was cancelled, fired, kicked out of college, smeared endlessly online, and outcast?

Any argument in favor anti-Semitic hate speech being free speech is the height of hypocrisy.

Give me examples of people punished by far left activists and the reasons stated for their treatment.

Give me examples of antisemitic hate speech being supported by the left.

These are serious charges you're making and I think you should have to make those cases. This has been a difficult few years for me as I have many Palestinian friends and was best man at two Jewish weddings. A close friend of mine is married to a Jewish man and their children actively protest the treatment of Palestinians and the genocide in Palestine.

Or maybe, just maybe… college kids like to protest. They’ve done it for the better part of a century. Sometimes for valid causes, others for dumb shit. Is normal. Not everything you don’t agree with has to have some sinister plot.

Large-scale protests like this have never been for "dumb shit." Women's rights, Vietnam, Apartheid South Africa, Iraq, Gaza.

And in every generation, right wingers have been against it. There are few things they love more than state violence and power. Oh, but when the state tries to tax or impose regulation on business, it's "government overreach!"

Out of all the idiot takes by the right, this one has to be near the very top.

A big part of leftist ideology is tolerance for difference in race, ethnicity, religion, sexuality, etc. Shit, that's one of the major criticisms the right makes: liberals are tolerant to a fault, they accept TOO many things, they are moral relativists who don't see anything wrong with anyone.

So somehow, this extremely naive group... are also anti-semites? They're obsessed with getting rid of all forms of bigotry but somehow are involved in maybe the oldest form of bigotry?? Jews themselves make up a major part of the liberal movement, but THEY are also anti-semites??

Stupid beyond words.

A big part of leftist ideology is tolerance for difference in race, ethnicity, religion, sexuality, etc. Shit, that's one of the major criticisms the right makes: liberals are tolerant to a fault, they accept TOO many things, they are moral relativists who don't see anything wrong with anyone.

So somehow, this extremely naive group... are also anti-semites? They're obsessed with getting rid of all forms of bigotry but somehow are involved in maybe the oldest form of bigotry?? Jews themselves make up a major part of the liberal movement, but THEY are also anti-semites??

Stupid beyond words.

Your take on this is a bit more sophisticated than mine.

I just see this as another round of "I know you are but what am I". I've been called a racist around here a hundred times... For pointing out examples of systemic racism.

So somehow, this extremely naive group... are also anti-semites? They're obsessed with getting rid of all forms of bigotry but somehow are involved in maybe the oldest form of bigotry??
You're basically describing the contradictory idiocy that is modern left. Yes, all that is true. This is how you end up with "Queers for Palestine". This is how you get people on the left condemning the Charlottesville tiki torch goofs chanting "Jews will not replace us" and freaking out over the rise in antisemitism, and then turning around to march alongside people chanting "Gas the Jews!".

Don't pretend that the vast majority of the modern left has any actual ideological goals, other than being trendy.

I cut the cord years ago. I don't watch cables news. I don't watch network news either.

I'm wonder if there is a difference in how the student protestors are being portrayed based upon Ivy League vs. Public State Universities.

Any insight?

I initially thought all these college protests were performative and wouldn't accomplish much.

But now I think I'm starting to change my mind. There's a ton of media coverage all over mainstream news about this. So there is visibility about the issue and all this pushback will definitely have an effect in the social discourse.

‘Like a war zone’: Emory University grapples with fallout from police response to protest​

A peaceful action at the school near Atlanta, Georgia, was met with violent use of force and 28 arrests of students and faculty

Clifton Crais, a history professor, was walking to class at Emory University in Decatur, Georgia, outside Atlanta, on Thursday shortly before 10am when several students rushed up to him.

“Please, please contact president Fenves,” they begged, referring to the university president, Gregory Fenves. “Ask him to not call the police.” Several dozen protesters seeking the university’s divestment from Israel and opposing a $109m police training center colloquially known as “Cop City” had set up tents on the school’s grassy quad – the size of a football field – several hours before.

Crais had spent the last year working with fellow faculty members on a policy about when the school could bring police on campus; the students were asking the right person. That policy: police could come on campus “only under threat of bodily harm or property destruction”, he said in an interview.

The professor dashed off a one-line email on his phone to Fenves; Enku Gelaye, the dean of campus life; and Ravi Bellamkonda, the provost. “I do hope you will not summon the Atl police,” he wrote.
sddefault.jpg

It was too late. Within minutes, dozens of Atlanta police officers and Georgia state troopers had arrested 28 people – 20 of whom were “Emory community members”, according to a statement from the school, including three faculty members and an unclear number of students from Emory and other Atlanta schools.

The university’s response was likely the quickest show of police force in response to a divestment protest among the dozens nationwide that have occurred in recent weeks. It was also probably the only one where pepper balls, stun guns and rubber bullets were used against students, faculty and community members – at one of the few student protests in the south to date.
1a2_b635f9e3c0.jpg

This singular set of circumstances was perhaps most grotesquely highlighted by the Georgia state representative Mike Collins, who posted Thursday afternoon on X: “Not sure what y’all are doing up north, but we don’t give them the time to encamp. Tazers set to stun!”

The Georgia governor, Brian Kemp, issued a statement saying: “College campuses … in Georgia … will never be a safe haven for those who promote terrorism and extremism that threatens the safety of students.”

Asked whether Kemp was referring to Emory students as terrorists, spokesperson Garrison Douglas said the governor was referring to participants in demonstrations at other campuses – and that “such activities will not be tolerated in Georgia”.

Campus demonstrations elsewhere have generally been peaceful. The spokesperson denied a request for an interview with him or Kemp by saying the governor’s statement does not “require clarification”.
250px-Undercover_Nerd.png

‘I’m not doing anything!’​

In the 48-plus hours since, fallout has included Crais writing a “motion of no confidence” in Fenves that appears likely to be approved by faculty via an electronic vote in the coming days; a statement from 19 state legislators opposing “the [university’s] use of extreme anti-riot tactics … [and] a dangerous escalation to protests which were by all accounts peaceful and nonviolent”; and growing numbers of protesters arriving on campus, reaching about 500 by Friday, including an ongoing occupation at the Candler School of Theology.
500px-Digital_Man-Fictional-1.jpg

The faculty motion calls Thursday’s events “unprecedented in the history of Emory College and University” – which dates to 1836. “No confidence,” Crais said, “means we don’t want you to be here anymore.”

One person who wasn’t at the packed emergency meeting Friday afternoon to discuss the motion was Emil’ Keme, professor of English and Indigenous studies. Keme, an Indigenous K’iche’ Maya scholar and one of only two Indigenous tenured faculty members at Emory, was hired in 2022 to establish an Indigenous studies program. From Guatemala, Keme came to the US as a teenager, escaping “a civil war against my people … involving the Guatemalan army, who received training from Israelis”.

Keme had class Thursday morning and saw a crowd on the quad when he arrived at about 10am. He walked over to see what was happening. He said: “Police immediately began to force people to move. I felt like I was in a war zone, with all the police and their weapons, the rubber bullets. We were pushed away. I held on to one of my students.

“Police took the student next to me, pushed an older lady nearby and then pushed me.”

Keme told the officers: “I’m a professor. I’m not doing anything!” Police pushed him on to the sidewalk surrounding the quad; he fell on his knees. They arrested and charged him with “disorderly conduct”, a misdemeanor. He was released the same day. Most of the arrestees were released Friday, also with misdemeanor charges.

600px-KC_05.jpg

But the impact remains, Keme said. “It was very traumatic, and triggering in many ways,” he said. “The university is supposed to be a place of ideas, of dialogue and freedom of speech. All of that came crumbling down.”

Keme said he didn’t want to attend the emergency faculty meeting called on Friday afternoon because he was still distraught. “I knew I might lose it,” he said. Students who are also distraught have spoken to him. “They don’t want to accept their degrees from Emory – and I completely understand,” he said.

Crais said the meeting was attended by at least 250 faculty members from the College of Arts and Sciences, about half the total number and more than he had seen at any meeting in his 20 years at Emory.

‘Respect for Palestinian voices’​

Other faculty members who were also at the protest spoke at the meeting, including one who tried to speak with one of her students as they were being arrested, only to have a state trooper point a long gun loaded with rubber bullets at her forehead, according to Lynne Huffer, a philosophy professor who was present. That professor said “she no longer felt safe, was not coming back to campus and will be talking with an attorney”, Huffer said.

J Wroe, a doctoral student and research assistant in biomedical engineering, was also arrested Thursday. She was in a class when she started seeing mention of police on campus on her phone.

Wroe also dashed off an email to Fenves, telling the president she was “deeply ashamed to be affiliated with the administration of the university”.

She finished class and rushed to the quad, where she was “grabbed and arrested within 90 seconds of my arrival”. Five officers pushed her to the ground and grabbed her arms and legs. They put zip ties on her wrists so tightly that she still has not recovered feeling in her right thumb, two days later.

On Friday afternoon, about twice the number of protesters as the day before had assembled on campus. A survivor of the 1948 Nakba, in which Israel drove hundreds of thousands of Palestinians from their land, addressed a rapt crowd of about 500. As night fell, a smaller crowd danced dabke, an Arabic folk dance.

At midnight, police arrived once again on campus. Georgia statehouse member Ruwa Romman – one of only two Palestinian state legislators in the south-east – and faculty had joined protesters. After a brief standoff, protesters agreed to leave campus.

Meanwhile, Keme said that some things he’d like to see in response to Thursday’s events are a public apology from Fenves, all charges dropped and a dialogue with students – “especially those who were arrested”.

He’d also like to see “a signed document from the president allowing protests, and respect for Palestinian voices on campus”. He added: “I don’t know what the fear is.”

Wroe called attention back to the protesters’ goal: “[The university’s] involvement in global repression also needs to be apologized for, followed by action.”

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2024/apr/27/emory-university-georgia-police-campus-protests

I initially thought all these college protests were performative and wouldn't accomplish much.

But now I think I'm starting to change my mind. There's a ton of media coverage all over mainstream news about this. So there is visibility about the issue and all this pushback will definitely have an effect in the social discourse.

All protests are performative, that's the entire point

All protests are performative, that's the entire point

Not all. Some like the splashing water on oneself and posting on social media are really performative. Or wearing a stupid pink ribbon for breast cancer. Accomplishes nothing.

But others like during the Civil Rights movement had an element of the threat of violence. That led to change.

Not all. Some like the splashing water on oneself and posting on social media are really performative. Or wearing a stupid pink ribbon for breast cancer. Accomplishes nothing.

But others like during the Civil Rights movement had an element of the threat of violence. That led to change.
The only change they seem to be accomplishing with such tactics, is welcoming the authorities to bust their heads and shut them down. These are not protests that will do any good for their movement. Not when there is a very healthy element of rabid antisemitism accompanying them.

Most recent headline is "Protest organizer expelled for threatening to kill Jews." That's gonna effect some change alright....

The only change they seem to be accomplishing with such tactics, is welcoming the authorities to bust their heads and shut them down. These are not protests that will do any good for their movement. Not when there is a very healthy element of rabid antisemitism accompanying them.

Most recent headline is "Protest organizer expelled for threatening to kill Jews." That's gonna effect some change alright....

It depends how persistent and large the protests get.

If there is a critical mass of people protesting, busting heads and shutting them down will not work. It will only embolden and intensify.

Your take on this is a bit more sophisticated than mine.

I just see this as another round of "I know you are but what am I". I've been called a racist around here a hundred times... For pointing out examples of systemic racism.

It's hilarious that rightists are pretending to be concerned with bigotry. If it's not bigotry against whites (why isn't there a White Entertainment Television, huh??), to them, it doesn't exist.

I see this more of a, hey, the left really cares about this issue... so let me take the opposing side. I don't care about the logic, facts, anything. My enemy likes this one thing so I am obligated to take the other side.

Don't pretend that the vast majority of the modern left has any actual ideological goals, other than being trendy.
The left has always been ideological. Too ideological, in fact, which is why it so often eats itself, as many have pointed out.

Some care about changing the system, others replacing it entirely, others more cultural issues, others economics and social class, others foreign policy, etc. There's constant quibbling exactly because they're ideological. This is why progressive "purity tests" are a thing.

Meanwhile, the right gets behind anyone that gets results. A secular New York adulterer, billionaire, with a proven record for centrist or liberal opinions starts pretending he's a religious conservative that will "take down the elites"? Our savior has arrived!

Give me examples of people punished by far left activists and the reasons stated for their treatment.

These are serious charges you're making and I think you should have to make those cases. This has been a difficult few years for me as I have many Palestinian friends and was best man at two Jewish weddings. A close friend of mine is married to a Jewish man and their children actively protest the treatment of Palestinians and the genocide in Palestine.
Examples of people punished by the far left? Too many to list. You’re being silly here.

Antisemitic hate speech being supported by the far left? Every time anyone at a college mentions that their free speech is being threatened.

F the Jews, kill the Jews, is ok, go on with your life, you don’t get kicked out of school, you don’t get fired, you don’t get dragged through the muck on social media. Now, how long does a person last if they say the same thing about blacks, gays, or trans?
I don’t support any hate speech. But free speech should be equally distributed.

Serious charges, my ass.

It's hilarious that rightists are pretending to be concerned with bigotry. If it's not bigotry against whites (why isn't there a White Entertainment Television, huh??), to them, it doesn't exist.

I see this more of a, hey, the left really cares about this issue... so let me take the opposing side. I don't care about the logic, facts, anything. My enemy likes this one thing so I am obligated to take the other side.

I think they're incredibly vulnerable to accusations of racism because they're so overtly racist as a cohort. A large chunk of the populace has opposed empowering people of color since America was created. It's happening now as fiercely as it happened a hundred years ago, it's just happening differently. DEI and CRT are just different ways for them to say the N word and stick it to black people.

People are tribal. There are definitely racist liberals, it just isn't the foundation of who they are like it is with conservatives. Malcolm X criticized white liberals and he wasn't wrong, white liberals will use the black community to get their votes but will only help just enough to be better than conservatives. That's a pretty low bar.

Examples of people punished by the far left? Too many to list. You’re being silly here.

Antisemitic hate speech being supported by the far left? Every time anyone at a college mentions that their free speech is being threatened.

F the Jews, kill the Jews, is ok, go on with your life, you don’t get kicked out of school, you don’t get fired, you don’t get dragged through the muck on social media. Now, how long does a person last if they say the same thing about blacks, gays, or trans?
I don’t support any hate speech. But free speech should be equally distributed.

Serious charges, my ass.

So you have nothing, then? Just a steaming pile of empty rhetoric?

It depends how persistent and large the protests get.

If there is a critical mass of people protesting, busting heads and shutting them down will not work.
Sure it will. The only thing allowing this, is soft policing. If they can't remain peaceful, they're just welcoming an authoritarian shut down of them, when they're deemed not so peaceful.

Given the ties that the west has with Israel, I would suggest they tone it down a bit. Their signs and veiled threats aren't gonna change that. Nothing will change that, quite frankly, because no government has anything to gain by taking Palestine's side. They offer nothing. This is why Joe Biden says some pretty words in an attempt to please his hard left whackjobs, and then on the same day, sends billions of dollars in weaponry to Israel.

Last edited:
Back