Cotto vs Sergio - HBO Face Off

I have serg winning but it's not going to be easy...I see him fighting from the outside, keeping his distance, timing his shots, peppering Cotto with jabs and straights all night.

This of course is assuming Cotto cannot close the distance similar to how JCC jr did in round 12...

The reason why I'm not betting on this fight is because I can see Cotto close the distance, land the inside shots, body work and break Serg down.

I also want to say that I am similar to LI, in that I am rpetty on the fence for the fight. That was my reasoning on how Sergio would win, and it is similar to LI. I think that is pretty clear, and pretty feasible.

I think i got sergio in this fight 65-35 chance. Cotto is def a very live dog.

I think at the end of the day, when it all comes down to it. The most respected wins for Martinez would be, Pavlik, Williams and Chavez. And of those three with hindsight, I would say the Paul Williams fight was his greatest accomplishment.

Now, I know Cotto came up short in his biggest fights.. but I think he has a deeper list and class of fighters he has beat.

They are both slowing down, and neither has looked like the vintage performer they used to be.. but Martinez... he has looked absolutely dreadful in some of his recent performances.

I think prime vs prime, this would be a fantastic fight... it still will be since they have declined at similar weights, but I believe Cotto takes this.

I think at the end of the day, when it all comes down to it. The most respected wins for Martinez would be, Pavlik, Williams and Chavez. And of those three with hindsight, I would say the Paul Williams fight was his greatest accomplishment.

Now, I know Cotto came up short in his biggest fights.. but I think he has a deeper list and class of fighters he has beat.

They are both slowing down, and neither has looked like the vintage performer they used to be.. but Martinez... he has looked absolutely dreadful in some of his recent performances.

I think prime vs prime, this would be a fantastic fight... it still will be since they have declined at similar weights, but I believe Cotto takes this.

For me, the Pavlik win was Sergios best win.

Paul Williams was a pretty bad fighter honestly. He just had an amazing ability to get down to 147 pounds when he was easily a 175 pounder. His defense is some of the worst I ever saw at the elite level and his offense reminded me of whack a mole sometimes.

That KO he scored in the second fight has always had people making Sergio something he's not IMO. Its amazing that Williams had never been stopped before that.

Cotto always seems afraid/intimidated in the face offs or stare downs, but once he gets in the ring he always turns into a total badass.....So I'm not worried about Sergio's more confident body language. Cotto has an odd personality for a boxer since he's very quiet and introverted....

Cotto is the quiet killer and Martinez is your typical extroverted confident boxer.

Sergio is one of the last true champ in the sport and people still don't recognize that.
Sad, very very sad.

BTW he is cleary passed his prime and went downhill (injuries didn't help him) but i still see him winning that if he can get a decent condition.

Sergio is one of the last true champ in the sport and people still don't recognize that.
Sad, very very sad.

BTW he is cleary passed his prime and went downhill (injuries didn't help him) but i still see him winning that if he can get a decent condition.

Define "true Champ."

Probably that he is lineal, was unified, and cleared out the division.

Besides Wlad and Ward, there really aren't that many, nay?

I wasn't trying to break his balls...just wanted some clarification.

I like sergio...always been a fan...ever since his first fight with Paul Williams..

I also like his expressions when he gets floored...it's a mix of, "holy shit, did that just happen?" and "WTF...I got to get back in this thing..."

I wasn't trying to break his balls...just wanted some clarification.

I like sergio...always been a fan...ever since his first fight with Paul Williams..

I also like his expressions when he gets floored...it's a mix of, "holy shit, did that just happen?" and "WTF...I got to get back in this thing..."

hahaha, Sergio reminds me of a person who if you knock him down in a boxing match, he thinks to himself "this little bitch has the audacity to knock me down, when I am suppose to be performing and looking sexy, this isn't a fight, it is ME ME ME ME"

edit: I just find it funny. Super self-centered and absorbed.

edit 2: I still find it so funny how Sergio is so hung up on the class A and class B thing. Cotto has more titles both pro and ammy, and has gone up against much better competition. Sergio has not beaten anyone that is better than the quality of fighter Cotto has beaten, or equal to the ones he has lost too.

Apparently Yuri Foreman has quit weeks before his co main event bout at msg for this card.

Will wait for Rafael or the promoters to confirm.

Like antonio margarito and Oscar were too big for him? Sounds legit.

Sergio is no giant. Pac would embarrass Sergio.

Dont bring up Margarito and De La Hoya, De La Hoya was a walking skeleton, and Margarito was a walking punching bag. Also neither guy rehydrates to 170 pounds, and Sergio has some legit skills. Theres a reason Pac and Floyd never fought Martinez back in 2010 when he was calling them out, they knew he had a serious chance at winning.

Dont bring up Margarito and De La Hoya, De La Hoya was a walking skeleton, and Margarito was a walking punching bag. Also neither guy rehydrates to 170 pounds, and Sergio has some legit skills. Theres a reason Pac and Floyd never fought Martinez back in 2010 when he was calling them out, they knew he had a serious chance at winning.

It has more to do with the fact that sergio fights 2 classes above them.

lol at Sergio beating either Floyd or Pac.

Up until recently, I thought Martinez was a bad style match up for Pac, but now I think it is vice-versa.

I think if Martinez wins, HBO and TR should make THAT fight.

Martinez could have went down to 154, he even said in 2012 he would have went down to 150.

Martinez could have went down to 154, he even said in 2012 he would have went down to 150.
Somethings off in your timeline. Sergio didn't even fight Pavlik until 2010, was coming off of the LOSS to williams and didn't fight the rematch until the end of 2010.

The interest in a fight with Floyd or Pac came after the KO win over Williams.

People really need to stop with these size mismatch bullshit fights in an attempt to legitimize or discredit a fighter.

People really need to stop with these size mismatch bullshit fights in an attempt to legitimize or discredit a fighter.

Manny Pacquiao never fought Winky Wright when he was in his prime...he dodged him like he dodges all great fighters.

Beat it Pactard.

Manny Pacquiao never fought Winky Wright when he was in his prime...he dodged him like he dodges all great fighters.

Beat it Pactard.

You must be one of the PBFCSC fellas. The whole world knows that neither Floyd nor Manny will fight anyone outside of their weight class. They have been ducking bigger opponents their entire career.

Beat it Pactard.

Nonito Donaire shamelessly ducked Andre Ward while both guys were P4P.

Find me one interview where Donaire even mentions his name.

He's no Duran.

lol I love these faceoffs. Good to get the buzz going.

The tension between the two was palpable. Sergio looked extremely rustled to not be the headliner but it makes no sense because MSG is Cotto's backyard.

Gonna be a great fight but I think Cotto takes it, Sergio's slowed down quite a bit and hasn't looked on top of his game in quite a while.

Cotto will be the highest caliber boxer that Sergio has faced as well as the most technical, which I feel will give him fits IMO but with his overall size, reach, and speed advantage (as well as his awkward style) its def not out of the realm of possibility that he catches Cotto w/ something fierce and dispatches him before the 12th rd.

So in the end I think Cotto manages to win but either way it should be a great bout.

Back