Cotto vs Sergio - HBO Face Off

I would order this if the undercard wasn't complete shit. I am done paying big money for one fight. Wake up, HBO PPV.

Somehow it gets ignored that both guys lost to Margarito.

Sergio gets handled by Pac and Floyd too. Sergio isn't that sort of fighter.

It's not that it's "ignored."

It's just that most casual fans have no idea that Serg one time lost to Margarito. Serg was a relative nobody at the time.

The Cotto vs Margarito fight was much higher stakes, higher publicity and all around, a high profile fight. Miguel Cotto was undefeated and on the cusp of "superstar" status. (if not one already).

Miguel Cotto was beaten down, bloodied and pummeled into submission. And then there was the controversy surrounding the wraps which cast a dark shadow over this entire fight.

It's not that it's "ignored."

It's just that most casual fans have no idea that Serg one time lost to Margarito. Serg was a relative nobody at the time.

The Cotto vs Margarito fight was much higher stakes, higher publicity and all around, a high profile fight. Miguel Cotto was undefeated and on the cusp of "superstar" status. (if not one already).

Miguel Cotto was beaten down, bloodied and pummeled into submission. And then there was the controversy surrounding the wraps which cast a dark shadow over this entire fight.

Martinez took a beating against Tony too. I'm not sure why it matters when it was. Sergio is a guy who's style is based around speed and reflexes. Its not like he's physically "better" now.

Cotto is more of a methodical, technical fighter.Taking a beating years ago isn't really something that proves he can't win is my point. Sergio got whooped by Tony too.

And while we're talking about fighters taking damage, Sergio has literally fallen apart in his last 2 fights.

Cotto on the other hand, is coming off of 2 of the better performances of his career.

Nah, Sergio is too big for Pac, the size difference would be enormous, would be a 20+ weight advantage and like a 5 inch height advantage, he stops Pacquiao in less than 8. He would probably give Floyd one hell of a fight, and lose a competitive fight.

Like antonio margarito and Oscar were too big for him? Sounds legit.

Sergio is no giant. Pac would embarrass Sergio.

Martinez took a beating against Tony too. I'm not sure why it matters when it was. Sergio is a guy who's style is based around speed and reflexes. Its not like he's physically "better" now.

Cotto is more of a methodical, technical fighter.Taking a beating years ago isn't really something that proves he can't win is my point. Sergio got whooped by Tony too.

And while we're talking about fighters taking damage, Sergio has literally fallen apart in his last 2 fights.

Cotto on the other hand, is coming off of 2 of the better performances of his career.

Wasn't Trout two fights ago? (I could be wrong) I thought he looked lack luster in that fight.

lol good one

How's he going to win? Outbox Cotto? No.

If Sergio wins this, its by landing a bomb.

I'm not sure what it is you guys think Sergio is. His style is pretty basic and doesn't really change from fight to fight. He's a guy who tries to get guys to overcommit by leaning in with his hands down and when that doesn't work, he leaps in with potshots.

Sergio wins this by landing a big punch, if he wins at all.

Seriously how many people watched Sergio's last fight?

Seriously how many people watched Sergio's last fight?

Sergio proved me wrong in the Chavez fight, so I always have to credit him for that.

But like you said, how are people ignoring his shit showing against Murray? The reflexes didn't seem to be there, he was getting caught with stupid shit all night.

IMO, Sergio is too sloppy for a technician like Cotto. I suspect Cotto boxes smart and mixes in flurries of aggression and wins a fairly clear decision.

If Sergio stumbles around and hurts himself again, Cotto may stop him.

After the Murray performance I just can't see Sergio beating Cotto. I want Serg to win, and I will be rooting for him but I think he get's stopped in this fight.

IMO, Sergio is too sloppy for a technician like Cotto. I suspect Cotto boxes smart and mixes in flurries of aggression and wins a fairly clear decision.

I want to believe you but I have a feeling Cotto is going to be inclined to brawling with Martinez which imo won't be in his favour. He's under Roach and if he has the come forward approach like he did with Rodriguez then it may be a short night for Cotto. Cotto has been worn down over the years due to the amount of shots he has taken and he just doesnt have the same durability anymore, despite this he still wants to brawl at times when it would be better to outbox his opponent. It would have served Cotto better had he still been with Pedro Diaz.

I hope you're right though.

For those who see Sergio dominating, how do you guys see the fight playing out?

I see a lot of "Sergio gunna hurt dis guy" and "Sergio destroys him," etc. But not a lot of reasoning. Hows it going down in your opinion?

I see a lot of "Sergio gunna hurt dis guy" and "Sergio destroys him," etc. But not a lot of reasoning. Hows it going down in your opinion?

I have serg winning but it's not going to be easy...I see him fighting from the outside, keeping his distance, timing his shots, peppering Cotto with jabs and straights all night.

This of course is assuming Cotto cannot close the distance similar to how JCC jr did in round 12...

The reason why I'm not betting on this fight is because I can see Cotto close the distance, land the inside shots, body work and break Serg down.

I think Cotto gets in on him and puts him down by being the better boxer. Father time has caught up with Sergio and he does not have a style friendly to aging.

I see him using his faster hands with longer range to land 1-3 punches, as Cotto throws maybe one jab, before Martinez uses his faster feet to get out of there. As Cotto tries to walk him down.

Perhaps getting caught, as he tries to counter sergio.

Back