Cormier: I was winning the 3rd until the accidental eye poke

It's more likely that everything else Jones hit him with played a bigger role.

So he just used it indirectly as an excuse.

It's more likely that everything else Jones hit him with played a bigger role.

Here's how interviews work in regards to combat sports....After a fight, the losing fighter may be asked to give his or her assessment of their performance during the fight. If a fighter then goes into detail round by round, theyre going to mention their highlights and lowlights as the fight progressed. In Cormier's case, if his fortunes turn around in the 3rd round for the better and something stops the fight(eyepoke) and gives each fighter a chance to regroup and adjust, the fight can take a turn. In Cormier's case, back to being the losing fighter. The round simply ending would have likely caused the same turn in momentum back into Jones' favor.

As with most of the ADD generation, youre reading too much into headlines and not enough into the context of the statement and how it fits within the overall interview.

Pretty classy of Cormier to call that an "accidental" eyepoke.

Here's how interviews work in regards to combat sports....After a fight, the losing fighter may be asked to give his or her assessment of their performance during the fight. If a fighter then goes into detail round by round, theyre going to mention their highlights and lowlights as the fight progressed. In Cormier's case, if his fortunes turn around in the 3rd round for the better and something stops the fight(eyepoke) and gives each fighter a chance to regroup and adjust, the fight can take a turn. In Cormier's case, back to being the losing fighter. The round simply ending would have likely caused the same turn in momentum back into Jones' favor.

As with most of the ADD generation, youre reading too much into headlines and not enough into the context of the statement and how it fits within the overall interview.

I was more replying to the posters who were saying that the eye poke is what cost him the fight.

Every fighter has a reason why they lost a fight or had a bad performance... I could care less about that.

Liar considering dude lost the first round...

That and the body shots definitely didn't accelerate his gassing... Dude had little in the tank after round 2 and was completely gassed after round 3.

Go back to fighting baristas on short notice 3 round fights.

lol cormier ackowledged that he has feeling jones out in the first and only started to gain any momentum towards the end. He also stated the body shots took a toll on him throughout the fight, starting with that first knee.

FFS, he even called the eye poke accidental with no change in his tone. He clearly wasn't giving any excuses.

He is a classy guy but this is wierd. No needs excuses. Needs better cardio.

SHoulda trained harder for the eye pokes

After 3 rounds it was closer than most people realize. But I still had Jones ahead 2 rounds to 1. Still doesn't give him the right to gouge people in the eyes every fight. Something needs to be done about his cheap bullshit. But its going to take for someone to be blinded in the UFC until something is actually done about eye gouges in general. This whole trend of eye pokes really seemed to start with Jones.

dc shoulda abandoned kicks, abandoned grappling, and just started throwing bombs.

It's interesting it turned out that way. But totally true.

I doubt he makes it past Gus, but DC left me thinking that Rumble poses a much bigger threat to JBJ than I was thinking.

Has he ever really faced serious, one-punch KO power? Rampage and Vitor?...meh. God knows Gus would've put the lights out if he'd had more juice.

I don't disagree. Moments after the poke, jones caught him with a kick to the body which probably contributed greatly to dc slowing down.

He should have asked for more time then.

I don't want to see Cormier making excuses for the fight, especially seeing as he admitted in the post fight conference that Jones was the better fighter. I like Cormier's attitude and wouldn't want to see him clutching at straws.

He didn't seem to make any excuse. He mostly blamed himself for taking the 4th round off and said he lacked that extra 'push'.

Cmon DC. Stay classy guy. You gassed bro. I was cheering for you to break Bones.

If you actually watched the interview, you would know that he didn't even imply. It's all in TC's head.

Pure class in the interview!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back