Cormier: I was winning the 3rd until the accidental eye poke

The momentum wasn't as on his side as he and other like to think. Also, it switched at the start of the 3rd anyway.

regardless of excuses (and I don't think it is one, as he said it was an accident and admitted Jones was better), what he says is true. watch it yourself. DC was winning, then the poke and the time out, and Jones took the rest of the round.

People really want to believe the narrative they create for themselves. I'm not referring to DC btw since I actually watched the whole interview before commenting unlike alot in this thread.

DC was already wearing down from the body punches and the break for the accidental poke benefited both fighters. The margin that DC was up and the momentum he had before the foul is exaggerated, partly because many undervalued Jones body work in the first three rounds. As for where they were after the break, they had been at a similar distance prior in the round and Jones had found the space for body shots then too including a left to the body.

Btw it came less than 2 mins. into the round. Ftr, I'm not saying it's impossible it negatively affected Cormier just going over the complexion of that round.

And won the second and had momentum on his side.

DC can't compete with potential steroids, cocaine and eyepokes. The odds are simply too heavily stacked against him.

Apparently with DC's levels he can compete with potential steroids.

Cormier finished 3rd round better, he hit some good shots and was on top at the end. All changed in the 4th though.

He won the 3rd imo.

I'd love to know where this idea that Jones dominated DC comes from. The first 3 rounds were extremely close. The only round Jones dominated in was the 4th.

DC was fading and gassing like a MF when the poke happened. I commented to a friend at the time that it actually looked like it gave him a much needed breather.

I had similar thoughts, the pause was more of breaking Jones' momentum. Still, sherdog is gonna jump on that single poor eyepoke like it decided the whole fight, took all of DC's cardio, will and core strength, because otherwise, of course, DC would take Jones down a 100 times.

It's funny that after 2 years of tension, trash talk and "I'd beat Jones like a little girl on any given day" behavior DC is acting way more reasonable than his stupid fans.

He doesn't fully blame the momentum switch on it ... but it seems implied a bit.

[YT]watch?v=txRXHjfuaZk[/YT]

Jeez get over it dude. You lost decisively. Outworked and outclassed.
Cormier landed some clean shots, uppercuts and hooks, but they did almost zero damage to Jones (at least no visible damage and nothing he appeared worried about in the fight either).
His "HW knockout power" everyone was talking about where was that ? I

Mo gave a good analogy, he gave Jones credit also:

You are running a marathon/race & you start to hit your stride, than you trip & fall over a log. It's hard to get that same stride back when you get up.

It looked like the pressure was getting to Jones & he was getting backed up while eating jabs & uppercuts, then the poke happened & the momentum shifted back to Jones.

Daniel also said he got hit with a knee to the body early in the fight & everytime he ate a body strike it felt like an electric shock. He didn't have gas for the 4th & 5th though & those are the rounds that count(it's probably because of body shots, I would think DC would be in shape)

It feels like other fighters should be given 1 accidental soccer kick to the nuts per fight, especially if the going gets tough.

Last edited:
In hindsight ... DC should have taken his full 5 mins after the eye poke.

Pretty sure you don't get 5 minutes to recover from an eye poke, that's for a groin shot.
If you can't recover from an eye poke within a reasonable amount of time (at the ref's discretion) the fight will get called and either go to the judges or be ruled NC, depending how far through the fight is.

Yeah sure....

You were also the one who probably said Gus beat Manuwa just because he poked him in the eye just before he KO'd him?

Didn't think so either.

The eye poke gave him time to get some precious wind back. Sorry, love DC, but them's sour cherries right there!

Mo gave a good analogy, he gave Jones credit also:

You are running a marathon/race & you start to hit your stride, than you trip & fall over a log. It's hard to get that same stride back when you get up.

It looked like the pressure was getting to Jones & he was getting backed up while eating jabs & uppercuts, then the poke happened & the momentum shifted back to Jones.

Daniel also said he got hit with a knee to the body early in the fight & everytime he ate a body strike it felt like an electric shock. He didn't have gas for the 4th & 5th though & those are the rounds that count(it's probably because of body shots, I would think DC would be in shape)

It feels like other fighters should be given 1 accidental soccer kick to the nuts per fight, especially if the going gets tough.

And Jon's no dummy. Immediately after the poke and the allotted recovery time, he touches DC's glove and then lands a huge body kick as if to say, "Deal with it."

He still lost every other round so eh lol. Had it 50-45 but 49-46 might make him feel better

Back