Conor McGregor is Like the Irish Muhammad Ali

He has a following there, but Ireland is a small country. And a little while back some guy from Ireland, in the heavies said he wasn't really that big (take it for what it's worth). I believe Froch vs groves did 80,000 in Wembley, and I sincerely doubt Connor gets close to those numbers.

He's getting bigger, he was on the Late Late Show and I've seen some people not into MMA following his page on FB (and I'm from the North of Ireland)

You don't need a big following in Ireland, just a following, Ireland is on a different plane if you can get the support there

I'll agree with something an Irishman said on youtube comments though. Conor is not some amazingly charismatic guy, he is just a tongue in cheek typical Irishman, if you walk into a bar anywhere in Ireland you will see plenty of Conor Macgregors

^blockbuster, thanks for the perspective

I think there are only about 4 million people in Ireland, but you will have a ton of people traveling from all over Europe. We will have to wait and see but if Froch vs Groves did that many I suspect Conor can as well, especially against one of the top 3 fighters on the planet.

There really isn't much to indicate that he would even get close to Froch vs Groves numbers. Or even GSP's 55,000 (GSP already a dominant champion and established ppv draw). Connor sold out the O2 which is 9500, and it's just too big of a leap to say he will do those kinds of numbers.

I dunno if they could sell it out but I bet they could come close, Conor is a huge star there and in Europe and that would be the biggest fight in FW history.

It's debatable that he is even in a "big star" in a country of less than 5 million people, let alone Europe.

It's debatable that he is even in a "big star" in a country of less than 5 million people, let alone Europe.

Guess we will have to wait and see, he definitely has that "it" factor though. That fight would be the biggest in the history of the lighter weight classes.

the fact that he leap frogs Edgar for the title is a joke.

Edgar is ranked 2 and tapped out 3 in Cub.

Conor at 5 if he beats Silver who is 10 is better than Frankie?

Might as well dump all the "official" UFC rankings in the trash then.

Edgar already had his title shot & lost in a pretty boring fight. No one wants to see another rematch, McGregor vs Aldo is the big $$ fight & that's the fight people want to see.

Edgar already had his title shot & lost in a pretty boring fight. No one wants to see another rematch, McGregor vs Aldo is the big $$ fight & that's the fight people want to see.

The fight gullible people want to see.

Brilliant performance last night by Conor, anyone get to check it out?

Rogan said something like "this is a rare fighter who only comes around once every 20 years. He's like Muhammad Ali and Sugar Ray Leonard." Earlier in the show he said McGregor was the biggest fight star since Mike Tyson. Hehe

Rogan said something like "this is a rare fighter who only comes around once every 20 years. He's like Muhammad Ali and Sugar Ray Leonard." Earlier in the. Isn't he said McGregor was the biggest fight star since Mike Tyson. Hehe

Not an exact quote but that was basically it.

Roy Jones respects the hands of Forrest Griffin.

Rogan said something like "this is a rare fighter who only comes around once every 20 years. He's like Muhammad Ali and Sugar Ray Leonard." Earlier in the show he said McGregor was the biggest fight star since Mike Tyson. Hehe

Yea I heard it and just shok my head :D

Dana White and company love their boxing comparisons. Jones and Ronda have been compared to Tyson. Jones did a photoshoot in a pool like Ali. McGregor and Anderson are also Ali. And Velasquez vs Dos Santos was Ali vs Frazier. It's almost like its a testament to something...

Dana White and company love their boxing comparisons. Jones and Ronda have been compared to Tyson. Jones did a photoshoot in a pool like Ali. McGregor and Anderson are also Ali. And Velasquez vs Dos Santos was Ali vs Frazier. It's almost like its a testament to something...

Boxing has a rich tradition of great fights and fighters, if anything it's a compliment to boxing. MMA is in it's infancy really compared to boxing so there aren't any legends to compare guys to.

Even they know Boxing > ultimate fightin'.

Back