Conor McGregor is Like the Irish Muhammad Ali

And against a top 10 fighter (Dustin Poirier) who IMO is incredibly overrated. Not a top 10 featherweight to me.

Dustin was a legit win...

For Conor McGregor to gain real credibility among fight fans and peers would have to face the likes of Lamas, Swanson, Edgar, Mendes.

Thankfully most intelligent fans know what is unfolding...

Broner has actually beat a few solid fighters.

Yeah, he certainly has the better resume as of now. McGregor probably has more potential in MMA than Broner does in boxing, but he hasn't proven it yet. McGregor is a very good striker for MMA, but his defensive grappling is still a big question mark.

Sherdog actually got the Top 10 p4p list right. Congrats and take notes Boxrec

http://www.sherdog.com/news/rankings/Sherdogcoms-Boxing-PoundForPound-Top-10-80141

After almost a year of covering the Sweet Science on a regular basis, Sherdog.com unveils its list of the world’s 10 best boxers regardless of weight class, as voted upon by its boxing experts:

1. Floyd Mayweather Jr. (47-0, 26 KOs)
2. Manny Pacquiao (57-5-2, 38 KOs)
3. Wladimir Klitschko (63-3, 53 KOs)
4. Guillermo Rigondeaux (14-0, 9 KOs)
5. Timothy Bradley (31-1-1, 12 KOs)
6. Juan Manuel Marquez (56-7-1, 40 KOs)
7. Andre Ward (27-0, 14 KOs)
8. Gennady Golovkin (31-0, 28 KOs)
9. Roman Gonzalez (41-0, 35 KOs)
10. Sergey Kovalev (26-0-1, 23 KOs)

OTHER CONTENDERS: Danny Garcia, Carl Froch, Miguel Cotto

Yeah, he certainly has the better resume as of now. McGregor probably has more potential in MMA than Broner does in boxing, but he hasn't proven it yet. McGregor is a very good striker for MMA, but his defensive grappling is still a big question mark.

maybe I need to watch more of Conor McGOAT...His striking didn't really blow me away in the Dustin fight...he actually got caught with some wild shots...

maybe I need to watch more of Conor McGOAT...His striking didn't really blow me away in the Dustin fight...he actually got caught with some wild shots...

He gets reckless and over-aggressive at times leading to him getting hit (he wants his opponent to trade with him in the pocket which leads to him getting hit from time to time). His kicks are mostly ornamental, but when he sits down in the pocket he is far more dangerous than most in MMA. It's his boxing which carries him, his kicking game is just a means to stay busy from the outside. Poirier is nothing special, but he is a competent striker by MMA standards who gave Swanson and KZ real problems on the feet. Other than a few decent shots that Poirier hit him with due to being somewhat reckless and arrogant, McGregor walked right over him. Now, I have serious doubts if he can beat Aldo, Edgar or Mendes, but he is a special striker for MMA, I'd say.

Dustin was a legit win...

For Conor McGregor to gain real credibility among fight fans and peers would have to face the likes of Lamas, Swanson, Edgar, Mendes.

Thankfully most intelligent fans know what is unfolding...

Poirier was a good win, but nothing special.

The three guys atop the Bellator featherweight division all have vastly superior resumes compared to Poirier and McGregor, yet they are basically anonymous for the most part.

There's a reason he doesn't have to fight Edgar or Mendes before getting a title shot. UFC knows he's not all that. Gonna get one big payday out of him and after Aldo kills his value will drop.

whats gonna happen when connar loses? is sherdog literally going to explode? i mean the hype train is just ludicrous for this guy. hes got talent but the next muhammad ali??????? lord have mercy

The only thing Conor has in common with Ali is that they both are alive.

the fact that he leap frogs Edgar for the title is a joke.

Edgar is ranked 2 and tapped out 3 in Cub.

Conor at 5 if he beats Silver who is 10 is better than Frankie?

Might as well dump all the "official" UFC rankings in the trash then.

UFC rankings is shit, worse than Sherdog's.

Conor was actually very respectful of Ali, said that he changed culture and was an icon and that he doesn't want to be compared to him, that he is on his own journey. As for ability, Conor has a ton, he is a star and is a special athlete. He is going out and destroying guys and calling his shots. He has a certain fluidity about him that many strikers don't have and he hits hard as hell for 145 pounds. Siver is a good fighter and veteran who can cause him some problems if he grapples with him. If Conor wins this fight they are likely to have him face Aldo for the belt in Ireland in a 90,000 seat stadium so it makes a ton of sense business wise. The more I watch of the two the more I think that Conor can compete with Aldo on the feet and make it very interesting.

Conor was actually very respectful of Ali, said that he changed culture and was an icon and that he doesn't want to be compared to him, that he is on his own journey. As for ability, Conor has a ton, he is a star and is a special athlete. He is going out and destroying guys and calling his shots. He has a certain fluidity about him that many strikers don't have and he hits hard as hell for 145 pounds. Siver is a good fighter and veteran who can cause him some problems if he grapples with him. If Conor wins this fight they are likely to have him face Aldo for the belt in Ireland in a 90,000 seat stadium so it makes a ton of sense business wise. The more I watch of the two the more I think that Conor can compete with Aldo on the feet and make it very interesting.

This just seems like wishful thinking. I'm guessing you mean Croke Park. How many people are actually going to go? I really doubt he would fill more seats in Ireland than Gsp did in Toronto.

Ali was really good, but I cant help but to think if he was alive today, he would participating in those ridiculous "black lives matter" protests and disruption of public and shit.

He is still alive

This just seems like wishful thinking. I'm guessing you mean Croke Park. How many people are actually going to go? I really doubt he would fill more seats in Ireland than Gsp did in Toronto.

I dunno if they could sell it out but I bet they could come close, Conor is a huge star there and in Europe and that would be the biggest fight in FW history.

I dunno if they could sell it out but I bet they could come close, Conor is a huge star there and in Europe and that would be the biggest fight in FW history.

He has a following there, but Ireland is a small country. And a little while back some guy from Ireland, in the heavies said he wasn't really that big (take it for what it's worth). I believe Froch vs groves did 80,000 in Wembley, and I sincerely doubt Connor gets close to those numbers.

Conor Mcgregor is an attraction, but Carl Frampton could be a bigger one, if they had made the Lee-Frampton Croke park world title bill together that would have been special

Frampton has the current longest unbeaten run of any Irish pro boxer and his record for less than 20 fights is actually very impressive

http://boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?human_id=499601&cat=boxer

He has a following there, but Ireland is a small country. And a little while back some guy from Ireland, in the heavies said he wasn't really that big (take it for what it's worth). I believe Froch vs groves did 80,000 in Wembley, and I sincerely doubt Connor gets close to those numbers.

I think there are only about 4 million people in Ireland, but you will have a ton of people traveling from all over Europe. We will have to wait and see but if Froch vs Groves did that many I suspect Conor can as well, especially against one of the top 3 fighters on the planet.

Back