Combat Wrestling revived!!!

And we care about the safety of our athletes. Let me just give an example- imagine mr. Palhares entering the tournament.

"The 2015 World Combat Wrestling Championships are reeling after Paul Harris left a hooktoll in the double digits, spread across multiple divisions...."

Thank you!
Of course there are adaptations of the rule set. One of our main goals is to become a globaly recognized grappling format . And we care about the safety of our athletes. Let me just give an example- imagine mr. Palhares entering the tournament. And add to this wrestling shoes...
As for closed guard- it is inactive position, where most of the stalling occures.
Trying to keep it as simple and safe as possible.

At international level i think that United World Wrestling is a perfect choice. In my opinion the only true submission WRESTLING styles are CACC, Pankration (but it is a mma style with striking) and Combat Wrestling. grappling is a copy i don't know why it is inside the international Wrestling federation.

Hi guys, I don't get here as often as I would like these days, but thanks for all the great discussion and for keeping this thread alive!

Anyone interested in the US Team Trials or to get on our mailing list can hit me up at [email protected]

You can also visit our website at www.combatwrestling.us
There is a downloadable press release on the homepage which you can post in your respective gyms if you want.

Lastly, and most importantly, please consider supporting Team USA. We all know taking a team overseas is not a cheap prospect. Especially for a sport not very well recognized in the US. Any help you feel willing to offer would be fantastic. You can donate to support us here: www.gofundme.com/USTEAM

Thanks so much! This is an exciting time and event!

I think the pin rule about only in side control and north south is really interesting

Actually, more specifically, you must pass guard to pin. You can pin from side, scarf, N/S or mount (if you keep the position after you are awarded your mount points. Or even back to chest and other pins like cradles or chest compression for example, but the bottom player can't be attempting a sub. It must be a clean pin.

Soon to be anounced the new FICW member countries and their scheduled Trials.

Longshot here... China on the list?

I have discussed the membership of China with a few people there.
I would love to have China representative!
My contacts there so far are foreign expats with BJJ/ MMA gyms.

I have discussed the membership of China with a few people there.
I would love to have China representative!
My contacts there so far are foreign expats with BJJ/ MMA gyms.

It'd be nice to have a good gym that was local owned, but most are expats since bjj/mma is still extremely new out here. China still doesn't have its first home grown black belt for BJJ, despite having over a billion people. I'm an expat myself though, so I can't be of any help as or to get representation for China...my mandarin skills are as good as my tai chi skills.

At least you tried for it out here though, that's still pretty cool that you're trying to reach as global as possible.

It'd be nice to have a good gym that was local owned, but most are expats since bjj/mma is still extremely new out here. China still doesn't have its first home grown black belt for BJJ, despite having over a billion people. I'm an expat myself though, so I can't be of any help as or to get representation for China...my mandarin skills are as good as my tai chi skills.

At least you tried for it out here though, that's still pretty cool that you're trying to reach as global as possible.
That sums up the problem :)

No heelhooks? Meh. But reaping is allowed, right?

Reaping is an issue only in BJJesque tournaments. Needless to say, it is allowed in Combat Wrestling.
Im sorry for not been able to satisfy everyone's needs, but neck cranks and heelhooks are prohibited. I dont want to put the athletes health in danger. Especially when the plan is to expand globally, as a structured sport federation.
Better concentrate on your throwing, pinning and escaping game. If you can get to a heelhook, just do an ankle lock...

That sums up the problem :)

Indeed it does.

One question about uniforms...it says red or blue shorts and shoes only. Should I assume that in the 100+kg category there will be taps via suffocation or will shirts be allowed?

The lack of heel hooks and neck cranks does take away from the essence of original combat wrestling a bit, but for trying to globalize the sport it makes perfect sense. Also, how do you think your chances of UWW admittance are since they just released the new rules for Grappling which seem a bit similar in a lot of aspects?

Indeed it does.

One question about uniforms...it says red or blue shorts and shoes only. Should I assume that in the 100+kg category there will be taps via suffocation or will shirts be allowed?

The lack of heel hooks and neck cranks does take away from the essence of original combat wrestling a bit, but for trying to globalize the sport it makes perfect sense. Also, how do you think your chances of UWW admittance are since they just released the new rules for Grappling which seem a bit similar in a lot of aspects?

The wrestling shoes and red/ blue shorts are mandatory. Tshirts and rashguards are allowed as well though.
Yes, there is no way we can grow worldwide if the safety of the athletes is not our #1 priority.
UWW admittance is a long term goal. There are a lot of different styles out there, who are after acceptance in a bigger global organization, so they can benefit from government subsidies and etc. I dont want that.
My first priority is to build a strong organization with dedicated and reliable people. To organize club, national and international competitions, referee seminars and growing numbers.
Next step would be to secure a global sponsorship from a big sports brand,who could cover the cost of athletes accommodation and flights for continental and world championships, so they can concentrate on the medals.
Local sponsors could offer bonus system for medalists in each country.
Once those targets are reached, FICW would be a self supporting organization, with merchandise power, attracting high level athletes. UWW recognition would only be an official recognition as a type of wrestling.

Back