Combat Wrestling revived!!!

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Ivaylo Ivanov, Jan 20, 2015.

1. Ivaylo Ivanov

Ivaylo Ivanov FICW President

As some of the guys on F12 know, I have been working on the creation of an international federation, to promote the grappling format of Combat Wrestling for the last 2 years.
    After a conversation with the original creator of the tournaments, Kiguchi Noriaki, from the famous Kigushi Dojo, I received his blessing for the newly formed International Federation of Combat Wrestling (FICW) and he accepted to take the position of an Honorary President.
    At this moment we have included several countries on 3 continents and together we secured dates for the 1st Combat Wrestling World Championship (22nd of August in Varna, Bulgaria)
    And a few of the local federations have announced the dates for their team trials, to represent the countries in the Worlds.
    The rest of the countries are about to announce their event schedules soon.
    Additional information you can find on the official website combatwrestling.org and to follow our activities on the channels and social medias, listed on the website.

Attached Files:

AZ103 likes this.
  2. Ivaylo Ivanov

Video of King of 68 final match:

[YT]sbhslunv1_0[/YT]

3. Ivaylo Ivanov

For those of you, who dont know, Combat Wrestlign was a very popular submission grappling format, during the 90s in Japan.
    Plenty of high level japanese grapplers competed in Combat Wrestling.
    Here is Imanari:

[YT]OIfF7g5Sd1A[/YT]

Rumina Sato:

[YT]WBLzO87fs[/YT]

Gomi Takanori, Sudo Genki, Sakurai Hayato and many more are disciples of Kiguchi Dojo and participants in Combat Wrestling...

4. JiuJudo

JiuJudo White Belt

Any plans for an event in finland?

5. uhwrestler

uhwrestler Banned Banned

I think the pin rule about only in side control and north south is really interesting

Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
  6. Ivaylo Ivanov

We dont have Finland rep so far, but would love to do it in the future.

7. Ivaylo Ivanov

The style was created by Mr. Kiguchi as a format, allowing all grapplers a fair advantage to secure a win, without stalling.
    Its quite dynamic and fluid, since an athlete needs good throwing, transitioning, positioning and submission skills.

8. silentpanda

silentpanda White Belt

I dont see how being a wrestler with 0 submission skills that pins people is fair...

9. Ivaylo Ivanov

Yes. If pin is allowed as in wrestling and sambo, most BJJ bottom players would have a very hard time to win.
    The point of Combat Wrestling is excelling in all aspects of grappling.

10. TheHereticJay

TheHereticJay I scoff at your belt rankings

A pin won't win you the match, it'll only get you up to 4 points. And there's fast stand ups if you're only working on a pin after you've secured your pin points. If you can impose your TD game and stay safe from subs on your way to a 12 point victory or time victory... that's pretty damn fair to me. Sounds like the BJJ guy needs to be more well rounded.

11. youngsteinel

youngsteinel Silver Belt

Pretty cool man. Good luck with everything!

12. cms9690

cms9690 Green Belt

If one's BJJ only consists of being flat on your back, being pinned.. I hate to break it to you, but...

[​IMG]

13. Ivaylo Ivanov

Thanx!
    My long term goal is to get Combat Wrestling recognized and included by United World Wrestling, but I am guessing another 2 years to reach that goal.
    I really appreciate the help of F12- our USA and Italy representatives are members of F12 (sambosteve and Italianissimo).
    I wouldnt be able to do it without their help!
    We are looking to expand globaly, so anyone is welcome aboard, to join efforts and contribute for the bigger cause.

14. TheHereticJay

TheHereticJay I scoff at your belt rankings

But that tends to happen with a lot of guys when they go against a good wrestler. They won't fight off the takedown and will even concede it because "Oh I'm comfortable playing off my back", until they realize how hard it'll actually be to sweep that guy and by that time...they're already being pinned. It happens to me from time to time still...I get lazy, don't actively defend a takedown, let myself get taken down in a way that lands me in an open guard, then I'm fighting harder to sweep than I would have fought to defend the takedown.

15. raty tat tat

raty tat tat Brown Belt

I hope you succeed, I've seen some of these CW vids not much guard pulling
    or stalling. Maybe someday you will be able to get some of the collegiate and
    olympic wrestlers in there.

16. CrashStitches

CrashStitches Please Cha Cha Cha Banned

This reminds me of no gi judo with BJJ and wrestling rules on the mat. I really like the idea of osaekomi instead of just a wrestling fast pin. I like how an ippon throw won't end the match, and allows for more groundwork. I wish BJJ had allowances for osaekomi and high-amplitude throws.

That perfect gi and nogi ruleset is still elusive, but people are getting closer lately.

17. Ivaylo Ivanov

Thank you!
    I already have some big names, who confirmed their participation.
    Would love to have Combat Wrestling as a style, practiced by collegiate and olympic wrestlers!

18. Ivaylo Ivanov

19. rmongler

rmongler Black Belt

the lack of prospects for folkstyle wrestlers after college is a real shame. i honestly think many of their talents get wasted in the switch to international rules, specifically in terms of skills in riding and matwork. some catchlike competitive venue like combat wrestling would be perfect for transitioning athletes, instead of the sink or swim environment it is now.

20. Ivaylo Ivanov

Just a few more competitions, before the end of the year.
    Soon I will announce the competition calender for 2016, but so far we have planned:

- National trials
    - Continental championships for Europe, Asia and Americas
    - Regional cups for SE Asia, Balkans, Caucasus mountains, UK, North America
    - World championships Adults, Youth and Veterans
    - Pro tournaments in Japan, EU and US with money prize for the winner

2016 will be a year with many events, so stay tuned for tournaments near you!

Also, we have been working on organizational side of FICW and have decided to give a chance to individual clubs to join FICW, in case there is no federation formed in their countries yet.
    The clubs can send their athletes to international events and organize club tournaments under our rule set.

Here is the basic structure, we will imply for new members from now on:

There are several ways to join the development of Combat Wrestling:

1) Become affiliated club

Every club in the world can join FICW directly, in case we do not have already a representative in the respective country.

The affiliated clubs will be recognized as such on our official website, receive official FICW certificate of affiliation, benefit from our training curriculum, participate in FICW coach and referee seminars and certification programs.

FICW affiliated clubs are required to have an instructor, attend to at least one of the following events:

The annual FICW Coach and Referee Summit, FICW Training Camp, FICW Seminars.

Affiliated clubs can conduct Combat Wrestling classes, host seminars with FICW certified coaches and referees, participate in regional and international competitions, host Combat Wrestling club tournaments.

2) Become associated member

To form Combat Wrestling association, candidate is required to host club, regional and national championships, host or participate in international FICW educational seminars at least once a year, have listed not less than three registered club members, to send national team to international events at least once a year.

Associations can act as FICW representatives, promote the sport, organize and host club, regional, national championships, host FICW educational seminars, participate in the global ranking list.

3) Form a federation

In order to form FICW recognized national federation of Combat Wrestling, the respective country is required to be functioning as FICW associated member for at least a year, monitored by our board, to register legal entity, to send national team to at least one international FICW event per year and have listed not less than five registered Combat Wrestling clubs.

National federations can act as the only official representative of FICW in the country, use our logo to promote the sport, participate in taking important decisions regarding future FICW development, host club, regional, national and international Combat Wrestling events, including professional tournaments, hold FICW certification courses, form own national ranking list and participate in the international FICW ranking list.

21. Ivaylo Ivanov

I would love to get some worldwide and local sponsorship involved, to get some financial rewards for the medalists and keep people interested in competing.
    There is a lot of work ahead, though...

22. Steve08

Steve08 American Fedor Belt

That's why I really like the Firas Zahabi approach of pulling directly into a sweep, leglock or other submission against better wrestlers. You still take it to the ground in somewhat favorable circumstances, but you don't have to work to fight for the sweep immediately after pulling either. Then again I would like to get better at counter wrestling too.

And I must say I can't ever imagine just flopping to my back and not trying to fight the takedown, unless the guy's TD game was THAT much better.

23. doyourkegles22

doyourkegles22 Blue Belt

In it to pin it! This should be a sticky.

I also liked your facebook page onq.

24. DanTheWolfman.com

DanTheWolfman.com Brown Belt

Hi, in Japan trying to find Combat Wrestling guys to train with......

Trained at Sakurai Mach Dojo and took some vids, have talked to Asahi who is a busy crazy man but hoping to film some lock flows with him, and not sure if Kiguchi ever teaches anymore?

25. Ivaylo Ivanov

Thanx DYK!
    As soon as we get a few more countries to take part of it, we can post regularly about local events and nationals, continentals, worlds. Then we can ask the mods to sticky it.

26. Ivaylo Ivanov

There are just a few dojos, practicing pure Combat Wrestling. You will need to search for the OGs of the organization in Japan.
    Currently, we are organizing a curriculum for a few more places to include classes and prepare competitors for our events nationaly and internationaly.
    Mr. Kiguchi doesnt teach anymore, due to health issues.
    There will be a tournament in Gunma, on 6th of December, you can come over and we can meet and talk there.
    Cheers

27. tenktriangles

tenktriangles Blue Belt

pretty cool, glad to see you're bringing this back.

28. Ivaylo Ivanov

Chief of ref committee Masa Yoshizawa released a detailed definition of Slams and Lifts, to help referees scoring matches:

"Slams and Lifts definition:

When both players are in ground position, if one of them lifts the other wrestler and throws him back on the mat in the same position, the move is recognized as Slam and hence, prohibited.

When both players are in ground position, if one of them lifts the other wrestler and throws him back on the mat by rotating his body over 180 degrees, the move is recognized as Lift and hence, allowed.

If one of the players jumps guard and his opponent uses the momentum, lift and drops him on the mat, the move will be recognized as a throw for the second player. In case the player gets thrown on his head, the throwing player will be penalized (prohibited action- head spiking).

If a player is not able to continue after slam by his opponent, the second player will be disqualified. But if the player cannot continue due to a legal throw or a lift, his actions will be recognized as abandoning the match and hence, disqualified."

29. Ivaylo Ivanov

Thank you!

30. youngsteinel

youngsteinel Silver Belt

Send me a private message, I have contact with the United World Wrestling directly.

31. Calibur

Calibur Jiu Jitsu Snob

This is awesome news!

I thought it was dead in the water. So glad to hear it's back.

32. Ivaylo Ivanov

Thank you :)
    Working on a few countries more to join now.
    Our mutual friends in Japan are very excited :)
    Are you entering in this tournament too?

33. completesky

completesky Green Belt

[YT]ug4we-_fF8c[/YT]

34. Calibur

Calibur Jiu Jitsu Snob

As soon as the dates and weight classes are announced I'll definitely look into it.

I wanna do at least one more combat wrestling tournament before I stop actively competing. :)