Columbus day is now indigenous peoples day

The guy was baptized after a roman madman! Cancel Mexico too
Then we might as well cancel Christianity. Rome only took it up cause Constantine was a giant fucking pussy on his deathbed about the afterlife.

You'd think the hard righties would want some blond haired, blue eyed Aryan man representing their viking heritage to have a holiday, not some spaniard guy...........

Columbus was more of a hero to the Italians than the Spaniards. From what I understand, the Italian-Americans have traditionally seen "Columbus Day" as a holiday celebrating the importance of their heritage to the founding of the United States and the discovery of America.

Contemporary accounts depict him as probably more closer to the Viking stereotype than Leif Erikson ever was, both in physical appearance and brutish behaviour.

"Contemporary descriptions of Columbus, including those by his son Ferdinand and Las Casas, describe him as taller than average, with light skin (which was often sunburnt), blue or hazel eyes, high cheekbones and freckled face, an aquiline nose, and blond to reddish hair and beard (until about the age of 30, when it began to whiten)."

Yup. If he was alive he could always comfort himself by taking a nine year old native girl as a sex slave. Too bad he's dead.
Didn't he later after the third expedition get called out as basically a conman and shit in Spain?

Then we might as well cancel Christianity. Rome only took it up cause Constantine was a giant fucking pussy on his deathbed about the afterlife.
in.gif

While I encourage free practice of religion and speech, organized religion is a tool for the masses. But to be perfectly honest, even if I have no sympathy for organized religion, I have to recognize that it did help a lot of people break through difficult periods. I genuinely believe that some people were saved by their faith.

No. It's Columbus Day. This land no longer belongs to the indigenous. They lost it. It's ours now. We name the holidays. Not long dead civilizations.
Nah, it's ours, it's just not what you thought it was. Tough shit. Fake nativists are taking all kinds of Ls this November and I love it.

The way he fucking cucked Montezuma is rough to learn about. They turned the guy into a puppet and by turning him into a puppet bled the Aztecs dry and then let Montezuma get killed over it.
The whole Spanish conquest of the Aztecs is terrible but fascinating. Cortez was a wild man par excellence. Sinking his own ships so his men had to follow him inland...madman stuff.

Renaming holidays to remember a group, solely for being here first, who through inferior disease tolerances, void of technical advances and in-fighting didn't last long in terms of strength... sure makes a lot of sense to the participation trophy generation.

If you don't count the fruits and vegetables they stumbled upon, what were the meaningful contributions to America again?

i mean personally i know a ton of people who are being initiated into and transformed by indigenous native spirituality. i know of many, many (non natives) who have found deep healing and transformation in native traditions just in the city in which i live.

i feel like everybody could benefit from a little exposure to those religious traditions especially in the way they seek to maintain some kind of balance with nature rather than seeing nature as something to be dominated, along with exposure to sweat lodge, vision quest, and shamanic practices.

as a christian i have always felt that some serious exposure to native american wisdom would be a really healthy thing especially considering how the catholic church wiped out much of paganism and its knowledge love of and use of nature for both spiritual and medicinal purposes making that indigenous wisdom unknown to us.

native american's were just human beings obviously and the mythologizing that some people have entertained about them goes far too far, but one would have to be some kind of a fool to think they would share and offer nothing to humanity. "black elk speaks" alone is worth its weight in gold both as a window into native spirituality and for its second hand confirmation of Christ for Christianity.

faced with a choice of honoring one monstrous individual or an entire group of native peoples i think i will choose the native people thanks.

Last edited:
The whole Spanish conquest of the Aztecs is terrible but fascinating. Cortez was a wild man par excellence. Sinking his own ships so his men had to follow him inland...madman stuff.
The Vikings burned theirs.

They'd land and then torch the ships. No chance to go back then. You either made it work or died.

Didn't he later after the third expedition get called out as basically a conman and shit in Spain?

Not a conman, but a tyrant.

In October 1499, Columbus sent two ships to Spain, asking the Court of Spain to appoint a royal commissioner to help him govern.[136] By this time, accusations of tyranny and incompetence on the part of Columbus had also reached the Court. In 1500, the Crown had him removed as governor, arrested, and transported in chains to Spain.[137] The sovereigns replaced him with Francisco de Bobadilla, a member of the Order of Calatrava. Bobadilla had also been tasked by the Court with investigating the accusations of brutality made against Columbus. Arriving in Santo Domingo while Columbus was away during the explorations of his third voyage, Bobadilla was immediately met with complaints about all three Columbus brothers: Christopher, Bartolomeo, and Diego.[138] Bobadilla reported to Spain that Columbus regularly used torture and mutilation to govern Hispaniola.[q]

According to the report, Columbus once punished a man found guilty of stealing corn by having his ears and nose cut off and then selling him into slavery. Testimony recorded in the report stated that Columbus congratulated his brother Bartolomeo on "defending the family" when the latter ordered a woman paraded naked through the streets and then had her tongue cut out for suggesting that Columbus was of lowly birth.[139] The document also describes how Columbus put down native unrest and revolt: he first ordered a brutal crackdown in which many natives were killed, and then paraded their dismembered bodies through the streets in an attempt to discourage further rebellion.[140]

In early October 1500, Columbus and Diego presented themselves to Bobadilla, and were put in chains aboard La Gorda, Columbus's own ship.[141] They were returned to Spain, and lingered in jail for six weeks before King Ferdinand ordered their release. Not long after, the king and queen summoned the Columbus brothers to the Alhambra palace in Granada. There, the royal couple heard the brothers' pleas; restored their freedom and wealth; and, after much persuasion, agreed to fund Columbus's fourth voyage. But the door was firmly shut on Columbus's role as governor. Henceforth Nicolás de Ovando y Cáceres was to be the new governor of the West Indies.[137]

In fairness, the guy who reported the atrocities had significant stake in removing Columbus (who was a man of "lowly" birth, and not Spanish) from power, but it seems that his reputation as a brutal man, even by his own accounts, is not something that can truly be disputed.

Not a conman, but a tyrant.

In fairness, the guy who reported the atrocities had significant stake in removing Columbus (who was a man of "lowly" birth, and not Spanish) from power, but it seems that his reputation as a brutal man, even by his own accounts, is not something that can truly be disputed.
I went on a Biographics binge and there was someone similar to Columbus that was described by his contemporaries as a conman. Wish I remember who it was now.

Nah, it's ours, it's just not what you thought it was. Tough shit. Fake nativists are taking all kinds of Ls this November and I love it.

What’s a fake nativist?

I went on a Biographics binge and there was someone similar to Columbus that was described by his contemporaries as a conman. Wish I remember who it was now.

You might be talking about Vespucci. He was deemed, by many, to be an imposter who stole credit from Columbus.

The name "America" is derived from his first name, Amerigo.

Back