Coach: Aldo wants to move to lightweight

Aldo would be too small at lw. I highly doubt he will move up from a division on which he's the king.

All of this is just talk.

Aldo is incredibly highly skilled, he could make up for a lack of size with his skill level. FW to LW is only 10 pounds, he's already cutting as much as is possible for him to make 145. Add 5 - 10 pounds of muscle over time, he's no longer in a position where a size disadvantage would hurt him.

Aldo's been talking about going up for some time, but there's no reason to get excited until he literally does.

Fighters, coaches and managers talk too much.

Who would beat who? I don't know, but Aldo's got mad TD defense, great striking and wrote the book on leg kicks. In what area do we assume Henderson will dominate him?

All champs look invincible until they lose. All we would know for sure is one champ is going to look beatable. But which one?

He should go for it. If he doesnt do well at LW, he can go back to FW. He's young, so why not?

Edgar vs Mendes would be a good fight for the vacant 145 assuming Aldo wins

This might be an unpopular opinion, but I would call Aldo the #1 P4P fighter in the world if he managed to move up to LW and be champion.

Beating Edgar alone would give him a very good claim to the title. If he moved up and became champ I see absolutely no question that he is p4p #1.

Beat Edgar decisively which no one can seem to do and move up. He will be a fight or two away from a shot. The fw and lw division will instantly become far more interesting.

if he goes to LW he will instantly get a title shot

This might be an unpopular opinion, but I would call Aldo the #1 P4P fighter in the world if he managed to move up to LW and be champion.

If he takes the title off a bigger guy like Benson and defends it i wouldnt mind saying that he is on par with Anderson in terms of P4P and just below Fedor.

If he dominates LW for a long time then he will definitely be ranked higher than Anderson

Aldo's a beast but LW is a whole other world. Not sure how'd he do.

I want to see Aldo stick at FW.

I'm not interested in seeing another division held up by Edgar and his point-fighting/rematches. I had to live with that for almost 2 years.

There are so many opinions lacking in sense about this. Anderson has fought at and said he could make 170 yet he fought at MW, became champion, and held it for a long time dominating fighters at their own game (KO'd Vitor, submitted Lutter). GSP's camp has suggested he fight at LW, yet he not only fights at WW but he is the champion and has been for a long time, typically dominating his opponents. Aldo is so big for his weight class he struggles to make weight, and all his victories have come at this weight division, against probably smaller fighters. If he moved up to a higher weight class and became champion how does that make him P4P against Anderson who toys with LHWs and makes them look stupid at their greatest strength (such as Bonnar's durability or Irvin's striking) yet can make WW and has fought there? If Aldo moved up to WW and became champion I would still give Anderson the edge, especially if it isn't against GSP. He would need to make other WWs look like they didn't belong in there for awhile before I would consider that. All this not to mention 'Anderson's age' and not using TRT.

Last edited:
I want to see Aldo stick at FW.

I'm not interested in seeing another division held up by Edgar and his point-fighting/rematches. I had to live with that for almost 2 years.

Frank Mir fan is not a Frankie Edgar fan we see.

I'd still like to see him vs Edgar, Guida and KZ at FW. After that move up. Imagine Aldo vs Diaz? Damn.

korean-zombie-fueltv3.jpg

a0d18_groopheadkick_original_display_image.jpg

try again

a0d18_groopheadkick_original_display_image.jpg

try again

Aldo and JDS both got subb'd early in their careers. The Roop loss was a bad one, but I think it was jsut a tough stylistic matchup for KZ and I don't think KZ was mentally in the right place to fight a guy like that.

There are so many opinions lacking in sense in these forums. Anderson has fought at and said he could make 170 yet he fought at MW, became champion, and held it for a long time dominating fighters at their own game (KO'd Vitor, submitted Lutter). GSP's camp has suggested he fight at LW, yet he not only fights at WW but he is the champion and has been for a long time, typically dominating his opponents. Aldo is so big for his weight class he struggles to make weight, and all his victories have come at this weight division, against probably smaller fighters. If he moved up to a higher weight class and became champion how does that make him P4P against Anderson who toys with LHWs and makes them look stupid at their greatest strength (such as Bonnar's durability or Irvin's striking) yet can make WW and has fought there? If Aldo moved up to WW and became champion I would still give Anderson the edge, especially if it isn't against GSP. He would need to make other WWs look like they didn't belong in there for awhile before I would consider that. All this not to mention 'Anderson's age' and not using TRT.

Being the FW and LW champ is better than beating Bonnar

So many stupid opinions in these forums. Anderson has fought at and said he could make 170 yet he fought at MW, became champion, and held it for a long time dominating fighters at their own game (KO'd Vitor, submitted Lutter). GSP's camp has suggested he fight at LW, yet he not only fights at WW but he is the champion and has been for a long time, typically dominating his opponents. Aldo is so big for his weight class he struggles to make weight, and all his victories have come at this weight division, against probably smaller fighters. If he moved up to a higher weight class and became champion how does that make him P4P against Anderson who toys with LHWs and makes them look stupid at their greatest strength (such as Bonnar's durability or Irvin's striking) yet can make WW and has fought there? If Aldo moved up to WW and became champion I would still give Anderson the edge, especially if it isn't against GSP. He would need to make other WWs look like they didn't belong in there for awhile before I would consider that. All this not to mention 'Anderson's age' and not using TRT.

Sig worthy.

Aldo would be too small at lw. I highly doubt he will move up from a division on which he's the king.

All of this is just talk.

He'd be an average sized LW. Dude's been cutting 20-25 lbs. to make FW for close to two years.

Jones cuts half that much after a camp to make weight four divisions higher and there are incessant demands that he move up to HW.

Back