Coach: Aldo wants to move to lightweight

If he maintains most of his speed from FW he will be a tough fight for anyone at LW. He has to work with a lot of wrestling coaches because LW is stacked with takedown artists.

Not happening I doubt Dana lets Aldo move up without fighting Korean Zombie. It will draw a lot of ppvs. More than any other Aldo fights that's for sure

Aldo is incredibly highly skilled, he could make up for a lack of size with his skill level. FW to LW is only 10 pounds, he's already cutting as much as is possible for him to make 145. Add 5 - 10 pounds of muscle over time, he's no longer in a position where a size disadvantage would hurt him.

Um, no

As you see, all of the average sized 155ers are mainly moving to 145, while the huge 155ers are who are at the top of the Division.

I agree his skill could make up for his size deficit, but only to a certain extent.

Bendo, Cerrone, Nate Diaz, Alvarez(if he comes to the UFC), Gray are all way bigger and more muscular and could take him down.

I think Ben would beat Aldo with size, wrestling, and cardio would be his deficit.

Aldo could take some fights in the Top 10 and win, but I doubt he could be champ unless 155 gets weaker and less stacked. Also he is only 5,7 and fights at 145. Im gonna get hell for this but I highly highly doubt aldo walks around in the 160s, maybe if he is out of shape and not training, but in his training camps and before his cuts , Im sure he is in the mid 150s. He isn't that big of a FW and 155 is full of guys who are 170+ walking around, Tibau vs Aldo, imagine that lol/

Last edited:
Um, no

As you see, all of the average sized 155ers are mainly moving to 145, while the huge 155ers are who are at the top of the Division.

I agree his skill could make up for his size deficit, but only to a certain extent.

Bendo, Cerrone, Nate Diaz, Alvarez(if he comes to the UFC), Gray are all way bigger and more muscular and could take him down.

I think Ben would beat Aldo with size, wrestling, and cardio would be his deficit.

Aldo could take some fights in the Top 10 and win, but I doubt he could be champ unless 155 gets weaker and less stacked. Also he is only 5,7 and fights at 145. Im gonna get hell for this but I highly highly doubt aldo walks around in the 160s, maybe if he is out of shape and not training, but in his training camps and before his cuts , Im sure he is in the mid 150s. He isn't that big of a FW and 155 is full of guys who are 170+ walking around, Tibau vs Aldo, imagine that lol/
Good Post.
One of the few reality based in this entire thread.
NO Fighter enjoys cutting weight, but it goes with their chosen Profession; so they do it.
Aldo's Handlers will see to it that Jose remains at FW for, at least, another year, probably 2.

Um, no

Absolutely agree. To the posters who disagreed with what i said earlier in this thread- let me clarify. I never said Aldo can not do well at 155. LW is more deeper than FW, and i believe that Aldo would have a harder time at 155 than 145. Aldo being 5 foot 7 and a reach of 70 inches is relevant because i was stating that he would be an average at best LW in terms of size. Aldo walks around 165 pounds right now. Ben Henderson and Maynard cut

from 180-85 pounds. If Aldo adds more weight, who knows how that extra weight would affect him. That is my main point. Aldo should stick at 145 for now, since at 155, there is no guarantee he can repeat his success. Do people forget how Hominick took him down and beat him up badly in the last round of their fight? Maynard and Henderson are much bigger, muscular, and better fighters than Hominick. Just a thought.

a trilogy in the making?
1. aldo beats edgar. aldo says theres no competition in fw and moves up to lw. edgar goes back to lw to avenge his loss.
2. edgar beats aldo in rematch. dana white sets up an immediate rematch.
3. =)

a trilogy in the making?
1. aldo beats edgar. aldo says theres no competition in fw and moves up to lw. edgar goes back to lw to avenge his loss.
2. edgar beats aldo in rematch. dana white sets up an immediate rematch.
3. =)

nah LW aldo-Bigger,stronger and better cardio.This come with cutting less weight.

Aldo gonna be 175 LW.(he was 167 for Hominick) soo it's possible

anyway he'll finish Edgar no reason for rematch

nah LW aldo-Bigger,stronger and better cardio.This come with cutting less weight.

Aldo gonna be 175 LW.(he was 167 for Hominick) soo it's possible

anyway he'll finish Edgar no reason for rematch

ok.

My only issue is if he tries both divisions and holds both belts he is only 50% at making it to fight night due to injuries....the belts would be tied up even longer

Anyone saying that Aldo is too small for LW needs to take a look at Frankie Edgar and what he accomplished at LW to figure out that he is not too small. Aldo's actually about 10-15 pounds heavier then Aldo and he's just as fast.

There are so many opinions lacking in sense about this. Anderson has fought at and said he could make 170 yet he fought at MW, became champion, and held it for a long time dominating fighters at their own game (KO'd Vitor, submitted Lutter). GSP's camp has suggested he fight at LW, yet he not only fights at WW but he is the champion and has been for a long time, typically dominating his opponents. Aldo is so big for his weight class he struggles to make weight, and all his victories have come at this weight division, against probably smaller fighters. If he moved up to a higher weight class and became champion how does that make him P4P against Anderson who toys with LHWs and makes them look stupid at their greatest strength (such as Bonnar's durability or Irvin's striking) yet can make WW and has fought there? If Aldo moved up to WW and became champion I would still give Anderson the edge, especially if it isn't against GSP. He would need to make other WWs look like they didn't belong in there for awhile before I would consider that. All this not to mention 'Anderson's age' and not using TRT.
So if Aldo moves up beats Benson, holds the LW title for 4 years, moves up and takes the WW belt from Rory (hypothetical non GSP champion) you would still say Andersons better?

Back