Cleveland Indians will change logo, says it's racist and offensive

How utterly disgusting that the organization caved to that pressure. It's just a sports logo like so many others. Where does the slippery slope of offense end and are any of these logos also racist?

127px-Minnesota_Vikings_logo.svg.png

243px-Boston_Celtics.svg.png

1280px-Pittsburgh_Pirates_MLB_Logo.svg.png

154px-Ottawa_Senators.svg.png

193px-New_England_Patriots_logo.svg.png

Leftist ideology is rapidly eroding free speech.

Context is always subject to opinion and opinion is always changing.
Right. And the team decided it was time to change it. Opinions now are much different than when the logo was created. None of those logos you posted are remotely racist, and we both know that. You seem pretty rattled about a logo change, I hope you handle things of actual significance with more sense.

Right. And the team decided it was time to change it. Opinions now are much different than when the logo was created. None of those logos you posted are remotely racist, and we both know that. You seem pretty rattled about a logo change, I hope you handle things of actual significance with more sense.

So you say. It's all a matter of perspective (just like the Indians logo). They are caricatures just the same that don't accurately portray the ethnic groups behind them.

So you say. It's all a matter of perspective (just like the Indians logo). They are caricatures just the same that don't accurately portray the ethnic groups behind them.
They are well designed caricatures. You really can't see the difference between Wahoo and the Viking? That's pretty hard to believe.

They are well designed caricatures. You really can't see the difference between Wahoo and the Viking? That's pretty hard to believe.

The difference is entirely in the eye of the beholder.

The difference is entirely in the eye of the beholder.
So you agree there's no reason to be upset about changing Wahoo, because many people do find it racist? Progress!

Don't worry, I know that's not what you meant.

So you agree there's no reason to be upset about changing Wahoo, because many people do find it racist? Progress!

Don't worry, I know that's not what you meant.

Not what I meant, or what I said...

Not what I meant, or what I said...
You keep saying that whether or not these are racist is in the eye of the beholder. Some people apparently think Wahoo is racist, to a degree the Indians decided to change it to protect their brand. There are only 2 symbols in sports that really get people worked up, Wahoo and the Redskins name. This grand leftist crusade against sports logos is in your imagination.

You keep saying that whether or not these are racist is in the eye of the beholder. Some people apparently think Wahoo is racist, to a degree the Indians decided to change it to protect their brand. There are only 2 symbols in sports that really get people worked up, Wahoo and the Redskins name. This grand leftist crusade against sports logos is in your imagination.

My whole point is that anyone can claim virtually anything is "racist," which is basically what is happening today, and free speech gets strangled in the process.

The Redskins name is a fantastic example. There was a time when American Indians commonly referred to Caucasians as "white skins" and American Indians as "red skins." Even to this day, there is a high school on an Indian reservation that uses the same mascot as the Washington NFL team "Redskins" because most American Indians do not consider the word offensive (and instead take pride in it). Words only offend us when we allow them to, and many people just cry "racism" because it gives them power over others. Again, free speech suffers as a result, and the slippery slope continues. Who's team is next?

Last edited:
My whole point is that anyone can claim virtually anything is "racist," which is basically what is happening today, and free speech gets strangled in the process.

The Redskins name is a fantastic example. There was a time when American Indians referred to Caucasians as "white skins" and American Indians as "red skins." Even to this day, there is a high school on an Indian reservation that uses the same mascot as the Washington NFL team "Redskins" because most American Indians do not consider the word offensive. Words only offend us when we allow them to, and many people just cry "racism" because it gives them power over others. Again, free speech suffers as a result, and the slippery slope continues. Who's team is next?

Except you left out the large part of the 20th century when it was used as a slur, or that their founder was a huge, documented racist. One high school doesn't change that. The Redskins are terrible and it's fun to make fun of Snyder, so I'm not overly concerned with it, but I still maintain that beyond those two instances there really isn't much fervor about any other logos or names. You have the right to be angry about whatever you want though.

I wonder if the Cleveland Indians are actually the most popular MLB in India, if there are any fans there.

Native Americans are not Indians, the white man called them that and never changed it even though they knew they weren't in India
Thanks for the history lesson. You are a true, once in a lifetime poster.

Except you left out the large part of the 20th century when it was used as a slur, or that their founder was a huge, documented racist. One high school doesn't change that. The Redskins are terrible and it's fun to make fun of Snyder, so I'm not overly concerned with it, but I still maintain that beyond those two instances there really isn't much fervor about any other logos or names. You have the right to be angry about whatever you want though.

The only part that matters is that American Indians still use the phrase to this day, and it's mostly just retarded white liberals that claim it is offensive.

Back