Cleveland Indians will change logo, says it's racist and offensive

Sheesh, just strip "Braves" and "Indians" and other references altogether.

Let Native Americans be forgotten completely. Unlike the Vikings, Spartans, Trojans, Barbarians, Berserkers, Samurai and all other manner of warrior/extinct culture celebrated as sports mascots, they won't even have a popular everyday reminder that they were once mighty...or existed at all.

I don't think the name is changing just Chief Wahoo.

I don't think the name is changing just Chief Wahoo.

Matter of time, I would think. Once the logo is deemed racist, the name "Indians" ain't gonna be too far behind. Maybe consult with the native community, and come up with a new name and logo that honors them, instead of one that slaps them in the face.

Matter of time, I would think. Once the logo is deemed racist, the name "Indians" ain't gonna be too far behind. Maybe consult with the native community, and come up with a new name and logo that honors them, instead of one that slaps them in the face.

I don't really follow this stuff. Have any team names really been under attack outside of the Redskins? I'm pretty sure Seminole Nation is a big backer of the FSU mascot.

I don't really follow this stuff. Have any team names really been under attack outside of the Redskins? I'm pretty sure Seminole Nation is a big backer of the FSU mascot.

Can't think of many, other than the Washington Bullets in the NBA. That wasn't nearly as controversial at the time though. I think with the "Indians", it's about damn time. Like I said, only the natives have to put up with that blatant shit. I can't think of any other race, where that kind of shit would just be so broadly accepted.

Native peoples of the Americas are recognized as such by the us government, including those in latin america( for job applications at least). I wouldnt call them pussified sjw's.
And yet they're not native. It's almost as if the government adopts policies for political purposes rather than historical, factual, or righteous ones (kind of like when this same government recognized black men as possessing 3/5th the value of a white man in terms of voting power).

They should change their name to the Steamers.

Is there a good defense of wanting to keep Wahoo as the mascot in Cleveland or Redskins the team name in Washington?

I'm really not seeing the other side here....but I would be willing to listen

Is there a good defense of wanting to keep Wahoo as the mascot in Cleveland or Redskins the team name in Washington?

I'm really not seeing the other side here....but I would be willing to listen
Sure. It's a mascot. There's nothing gained by changing them. It's an empty gesture.

Sure. It's a mascot. There's nothing gained by changing them. It's an empty gesture.
90% of gestures are empty, it's almost implied in the word at this point. But I think small net positives are good for society, and this is a change that makes a small group of people happy, most people don't care, and people who like getting butthurt get butthurt. Looks positive to me. Sports teams change their logos all the time, why is it okay if it comes from a focus group and not an advocacy group?

They should just contract the Indians. It's only a matter of time before they go back to being a perennial basement dweller.

Team decides to change its own mascot, which tons of other teams have done over the years. Why are people upset? Because they're doing it to offend fewer people?

I think they should change their name to The Cleveland Clevelands
latest

They weren't Native Americans, either.

Pussified SJWs calling them that doesn't make it real, either. At least Columbus and the Spaniards made an honest, excusable mistake.

Comes into thread to grandstand his anti-racist views.

Makes the only blindly racist comment in thread. Never establishes what is distinctively "racist". Apparently calling people "Braves" is offensive.
First thing I do when I get my Elon Musk flamethrower is burn down this strawman

Can't think of many, other than the Washington Bullets in the NBA. That wasn't nearly as controversial at the time though. I think with the "Indians", it's about damn time. Like I said, only the natives have to put up with that blatant shit. I can't think of any other race, where that kind of shit would just be so broadly accepted.
Whoa, this isn't the take I expected from you. But I agree, I can't think of a group that has had it's identity so far out of it's control for so long.

And yet they're not native. It's almost as if the government adopts policies for political purposes rather than historical, factual, or righteous ones (kind of like when this same government recognized black men as possessing 3/5th the value of a white man in terms of voting power).
I don't believe native american was adopted until much later in the 60s and 70s. At the point at which they considered blacks 3/5ths of a white men they used the term racist term " indians." After the civil rights movement they used the term "native american," so i dont think it is a coincidence that happened after minorities became legal equals to whites. I've even seen scientists and writers use the term "native american," are they SJW's too?

Anyone who can’t understand that a big nosed red faced caricature could make some native Americans feel uneasy is probably rascist themselves. Huge tribe fan but it’s pretty obvious in today’s society this logo needed to go.

It’s unfortunate they didn’t do what the blackhawks and seminoles did and team up with a Native American group to make a logo that honor them more.

why does anyone need to use indian names anyway/
what about the cleveland pilgrims?
or the atlanta gypsies?

Back