Ciscokid1024's log - weight loss & strength training

and deadlift. 409lbs x 1:
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qYLLt7GUQoU&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qYLLt7GUQoU&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

start: 12:15
end: 1:30
warm up: Body weight squats for form, OH squats w/bar, TKE bands, and step ups
Shoulder prehab: band pull-aparts, presses, dislocates and posteriour capsule stretch

Squats:
zercher - 5x165
zercher - 5x135
Front - 5x135
back - 5x135
back - 5x135

BB Bench press
5x135
1x255
3x245
5x225
5x185
5x185

BOR
5x205
5x205

one-hand DB rows
6x90
6x90

The weight is a whole nother issue. I ate clean all day and followed the 7 rules and then when I got home I ate 3 slices of pizza with extra cheese (and butter) and then made two toasted cheese sandwiches with two slices of American each, two slices of turkey, some cream cheese, and some broccoli slaw just to get a few vegetables in. It was good, but I am not losing weight today I don't think
Extra cheese and butter. Ha. You've got to pick a diet that you can stick to. It's not going to help if you do something severe like Atkins, and then go on binges. When you pick a diet don't think about it like something you can tough out for a while until you drop the weight, those kind of diets almost always fail. Try to pick something that you could see yourself living with for the rest of your life. That is why a lot of diets have cheat days. Your tastes will change if you stick with something for a while too, so you can become more strict over time without your body going into withdrawal.

Also, it helps a lot to change your environment. I don't know what the rest of your family is eating, but if there is crap laying around your house you will end up eating it. I read a study they did where they put bowls of candy near computer workers. The distance from the candy to the person directly affected how much they ended up eating. Just putting it far enough away that the person had to stand up made the candy consumption go down by like 40% (can't remember actual numbers).

Good luck, changing your diet is not easy.

Why don't you rotate your power rack by 180 degrees so you don't have to walk out backwards on the squat or do that bench wiggle?

Hey Old Man,

Thanks for the diet advice. It is pretty much what I have been thinking. I have to make small changes and not do radical diets, like Atkins, because I won't stick with it in the long run. I am going to focus on eating smaller meals more often and try to get good protein and some veggies in each meal. And I have two kids, 10 and 12, so there is not too much junk, but there is some. I have to focus on just not buying it myself and that should keep the amount in the house down.

The cage I have at home is a Weider cage from Sears and it was poorly designed. The J-hooks are built onto solid pieces that go around the support so they can't be moved. I have tried different configurations, but none is great. I mostly workout at a gym near where I work so I haven't been motivated to modify the cage design because it is going to take some drilling and welding to get it right. If I ever use my home gym as my main gym I will modify the cage or replace it.

I mostly posted the BP scooting video because I thought it looked funny. :D

Did random cardio at lunch today. I walked to Giant to get a salad and then to the local school track where I wanted to do some running, but it looked like they had something going on so I just walked back to the gym. Ended up that I did 20-30 minutes of walking, 7 min on the step machine, 13 minutes on a stationary bike, and 10 min on the elliptical. Got my heart beating and got my sweat on so that was good.

Workout was modified from Stronglifts becuase my training partner's back is hurting and I am trying to re-tool my squat form.

Start: 11:40 am
End: 1:10 pm

warm-up: 7 min on step machine - Heart beat up to 161
Leg prehab: step-ups and Band TKE
Shoulder prehab: Diesel crew ultimate 2 min warm-up

Over Head Squat:
10x45

Back Squat:
5x135
5x135

Zercher Squat:
5x135
5x135
5x155

Bench Step up:
10xBW
10xtwo ten lbs DBs
10xtwo ten lbs DBs
10xtwo ten lbs DBs

Seated DB Press;
6x40
5x50
5x60
0x65

Leg curl (machine)
5x130
5x160
5x175
5x190
5x200

DB Shrug:
5x90
12x80
12x80

Walked to a track (10 min) did some stretching and ran a lap. Haven't run in a while and it was pretty tough. I walked a little and then did a half lap. Walked some more and did a 100m. My legs were hurting and my left leg especially. I had trouble keeping my form especially with the left leg so I stopped and walked back to work. About 40 min total walking and running.

Start: 12:45 pm
End: 1:50 pm
Warm-up: 7 min on Step machine level 10 heartbeat up to 158
leg prehab: band tke and step-ups
shoulder prehab: band: pull-aparts, pull-downs, dislocates, presses; and posterior capsule stretch.

***Note*** My training partner's back is bothering him so he didn't want to squat or do BOR's. So I did a set of squats, and then we did a set of BP, and then I went back to squats. Back and forth like that. When I did BOR and Pull-ups I did the same thing where we did Pull-ups together and then I did BOR while he did Dips.

Box Squats to bench:
5x135
5x225
5x315
5x315
5x315
5x315

Bench (tried to do these fast up)
5x135
5x185
5x175
5x175
5x175
5x175

BOR * I had to cheat a little on the last 1-2 each set
5x225
5x225
5x225

Chin-up: 10xBW with light band
Pull-up: 6xBW with light band
Chin-up: 5xBW with light band

Did 35 min on a recumbent stationary bike. Heart beat got up to 128. It is hard for me to get my heartbeat up on this bike, but I was sweating a lot.

Tried to watch the latest Rocky on TV. Maybe it gets better, but I was pretty bored so I switched to women's softball. At least that had action and babes. :D

Box Squats to bench:
5x135
5x225
5x315
5x315
5x315
5x315

Bench (tried to do these fast up)
5x135
5x185
5x175
5x175
5x175
5x175

BOR * I had to cheat a little on the last 1-2 each set
5x225
5x225
5x225

Chin-up: 10xBW with light band
Pull-up: 6xBW with light band
Chin-up: 5xBW with light band

Damn. Nice lifting Cisco, esp. the box squats. Good BORs too.

On the diet, I had to cut out certain types of food, and I made concessions to it. I don't eat anything fried. I dumped fast food, it takes some getting used to, but now keeping prepped food in the fridge beats FF. I like my butter on bread sometimes, and won't eat margarine, so I kept that diet sin, in lieu of the fried/fast food stuff. I also quit drinking colas. Now, this past week I have had a Coke or two, but usually I go weeks without drinking any. I'd rather spend the empty calories onthe occasional Guinness or two, which I've cut back as well. Dumping fried/fast food and colas allowed me to increase my lean protein intake. I'm no swimsuit model, I still have a gut, but it's manageable. HTH

Thanks Hunto, I need to hear positive words from guys who are making the small changes. I know the battle is won in the little things. I know my body weight doesn't need to be more that 200 or so with my frame so 285 is way too much. I am trying to start better habits, but I think for me it is more a mental thing. I get down or I want to relax so I have a Guinness and then some chips and whatever whatever.

I am going to keep working on it and it really helps to hear from guys who are going through the same thing. Maybe once we all lose a little on the gut we can do a true "beefcake" calender and sell it for some charity. Women might like to see some "real" men and not cut-up models.

What do you think?
:D

Start: 12:05
End: 1:25
warm-up: 10 min on step machine heartbeat around 150
leg prehab: band TKE and step-ups
shoulder prehab: Band pull-aparts, pull-downs, dislocates, press, and the rotation thingy;
posterior capsule stretch

Over Head Squat
6x45
5x65
5x85
2x95 (little wobbly)
5x95 (better) Not allowed to drop weights so got to be careful.

Back Squats (working on form)
5x95
5x95

Front Squat
5x95

OHP
5x95
5x115
5x125
5x130
5x135

Deadlift/shrug medley:

Start with Stiff-leg Deadlift, take 30 sec rest to re-chalk then do Barbell Shrugs and then with no rest do Dumbell shrugs:

1st set: 225x5 225x10 70x10
2nd set: 275x5 275x10 80x10

Done. I felt tired before even starting and the diet Coke (w/vitamins!) didn't seem to get me going. Felt tired plus the shrugs and stuff had my callouses about peeling off. I need to get some straps.

Start: 12:05
End: 1:25
warm-up: 10 min on step machine heartbeat around 150
leg prehab: band TKE and step-ups
shoulder prehab: Band pull-aparts, pull-downs, dislocates, press, and the rotation thingy;
posterior capsule stretch

Over Head Squat
6x45
5x65
5x85
2x95 (little wobbly)
5x95 (better) Not allowed to drop weights so got to be careful.

Back Squats (working on form)
5x95
5x95

Front Squat
5x95

OHP
5x95
5x115
5x125
5x130
5x135

Deadlift/shrug medley:

Start with Stiff-leg Deadlift, take 30 sec rest to re-chalk then do Barbell Shrugs and then with no rest do Dumbell shrugs:

1st set: 225x5 225x10 70x10
2nd set: 275x5 275x10 80x10

Done. I felt tired before even starting and the diet Coke (w/vitamins!) didn't seem to get me going. Felt tired plus the shrugs and stuff had my callouses about peeling off. I need to get some straps.

Cisco- good looking lifts.
I got my straps here:
https://www.karatedepot.com/st-ls-28.html
Cheap, they work, and I ordered on a Monday and they came that Friday.

Also, Wassung wrote a good article on shrugging- did you get to read it? If not I have it saved and can send it to you. Basically he says shrug heavy. With your size, start with 225, tthen 315, 365, 405. With straps I bet you could shrug 405. I was shrugging off the floor, and I built a little shrug rack, 2 feet tall, and it made a huge difference! I can shrug 495, 545 now, whereas I cannot DL that off the floor!

Cisco- good looking lifts.
I got my straps here:
https://www.karatedepot.com/st-ls-28.html
Cheap, they work, and I ordered on a Monday and they came that Friday.

Also, Wassung wrote a good article on shrugging- did you get to read it? If not I have it saved and can send it to you. Basically he says shrug heavy. With your size, start with 225, tthen 315, 365, 405. With straps I bet you could shrug 405. I was shrugging off the floor, and I built a little shrug rack, 2 feet tall, and it made a huge difference! I can shrug 495, 545 now, whereas I cannot DL that off the floor!

Thanks Hunto. I did read Keith's article and I tried it last week, but without straps I couldn't really hold the bar with 405 on there. I need to get some straps. Thanks for the link.

Then again, I am not sure if I should take advice from a guy who shrugs so much he passes out! :icon_chee

35 min on elliptical machine, interval hill trainer on level 12. Heart beat got up to 163, but usually averaged around 150. I tried to go faster on the harder part of the interval. Felt good and I am tired and I am going to head home to get ready for my daughter's band recital.

Start: 12:15 pm
End: 1:35 PM

Warm-up: 7 min on step machine on 8, heart beat up to 150
Leg Prehab: band TKEs, step-ups, HAMSTRING STRETCHING!!!

I feel really good about this workout. I have been a little down lately after I posted my squat and realized my form sucked. Plus I am not losing weight so I want to do cardio and cut out carbs and both have been tough to do. Plus, my training partner's back is bothering him so he is not doing squats, deadlift, etc. It is tough to get as motivated when you are not spotting someone who is really pushing himself; which he does. He is much smaller than me (175 lbs) but he works really hard. Today he did 3 reps with 195 for the first time, which is sweet.

Anyway, I have made a commitment to cardio, I am trying to cut way back on the carbs, and I have been reading "Starting Strength" and I made a commitment to do some heavy (for me) back squats. No front squats or Zercher squats. I am going to keep my back from rounding on back squats and go as deep as I can.

I found out today that I have a sweet spot. If I setup correctly and sit back and activate the glutes the weight goes up like butter. I worked up to 275 today and sometimes the reps were high and sometimes they were shaky, but when I hit the groove they felt parallel and pretty easy, so I am encouraged. Plus I got a 5 rep PR in Bench! :icon_chee

Squat
5x45
5x135
5x135
5x185
5x225
5x275 -high, but last 2-3 started to feel good
5x275 -parallel , 2nd rep was shaky, but 3-5 felt sweet! and deep

Barbell Bench Press
7x135
5x250
5x250
5x250 - went for 6, but no go, everything went a little gray, so I am glad I had a spotter.

BOR - strict, back flat and parallel to the ground
5x225
5x225
5x225

Good day!

Nice squats there!

I'm also with you and hunto on the dieting thing. I've lost a ton of weight over the past year, and I don't eat super healthy all the time. I eat pretty clean most of the time, and I use my cheats when I go out with friends, etc.

I'm in no rush to lose this weight.

Good job my fello fatty. Keep up the good work.

Nice squats there!

I'm also with you and hunto on the dieting thing. I've lost a ton of weight over the past year, and I don't eat super healthy all the time. I eat pretty clean most of the time, and I use my cheats when I go out with friends, etc.

I'm in no rush to lose this weight.

Hi Hell. What did you do to lose weight? I am getting back on Atikins, because that seems to curb my appetite and I plan to transition to Precision Nutrition, but still with low carbs. What did you do to get started and drop some pounds?

Back