ciscokid1024

Purple Belt
Reaction score
First my stats:
39 years old - Bday in September.
6' tall
Weight - 278
Goal - 185 by September 09 ***Revised Goal***

I have high blood pressure and I really need to lose this weight. I have been carrying way to much weight for 10 years or more. I need to drop it before it drops me. I also want to be able to do simple athletic stuff again like play basketball w/my kids.

I weighed my self last Sunday and I was at 288. I started doing Atkins and doing the Stronglifts.com 5x5 program this week and I am already feeling better. I want to get strong and be able to do some pull ups and maybe even swing on the monkey bars w/my kids.

I am going to post Friday's workout below and just go from there:

w/up - 10 min bike
Squats(ATG): 5x45, 5x65, 5x115, 5x5x135
OHP:5x45, 5x5x95
DL: 5x133, 5x183, 5x227
Pull down palm out: 3x156, 4x146*
Pull down palm in: 2x156, 5x146*

*I am supposed to do pull-ups, but I couldn't pull my self up. I am going to do some BOR's or pull-up negatives from now on.

Whole w/o took 1hr 15min.

Saturday I did 50 min on the bike w/avg HB of 124.

Dude, you misspelled your own username in your log title. Portentous.

Oh well, spelling was never my strong suit.

Monday, 3-24 - A day for Stronglifts - Squat, BP, BOR, Dips
Start: 1:00 PM
End: 1:56 PM

Warm-up 10 min on treadmill got my HB up to a steady 140

Decided to try front squats - ATG
5x45
5x67
5x87
5x5x98

On the last three I started to have trouble with my left wrist hurting and I almost lost my grip. On the last one I put my hands a little closer together and that helped, but I am going to have to do some more reading about the proper technique if I am going to be able to handle more weight.

Barbell BP - I haven't done Barbell BP in 6 months or so. I hurt my shoulder so I have only been doing DB BP
12x45
10x95
5x5x135
Didn't feel too heavy, but I am worried about my shoulders. I want to see how I feel tomorrow.

BOR
5x5x133

I don't have a dip machine at home so I did a few reps of OHP with 135, but I was getting tired so I called it a day.

Don't know if this really counts as a workout, but my training partner did not work out on Monday and we went to the gym at work on lunch and did a quick workout.

Did a warm-up and then Bench press 5x5x155 and 10x135
OHP 3x135
Dips 5 negatives

That was it. Had to get back to the office for a meeting.

Stronglifts B day
Start 11:55 am
End 1:05 pm
warm up - 2 min on stepmachine & no weight squats

Squat 5x45, 5x95, 5x5x140
OHP: 5x45, 10x45, 5x5x100
DL: 5x135, 5x225, 5x235
Chin up - 5 neg
pull up - 1 rep + 4 neg
Chin up - 5 neg

Keep it up but dude 100lbs is a hefty goal just shoot for 1-3 lbs a week (that may put you at 100 idk math isn't my strong suit)

But either way good luck i'll be following so do it for me!!! and I guess the bastard kids ;)

GL man your on a good program 5x5 is the shiz.

Way to go on starting a log. Keep it up.

I think 100 pounds in 6 months is a bit much. What's your diet look like?

Just basic Atkins. My only rules are eat veggies at every meal and eat only meat and a little cheese with the veggies.

For example I had a little left over steak and left over Salmon with broccoli for breakfast and I had a chicken breast and spinach and bacon salad for lunch.

I only drink water, so I end up drinking 3/4-1 gallon of water a day.

As long as I keep losing weight I will stick with this I think.

Thanks for the encouraging words theNuge and Quest4Glory. I really appreciate it.

I got my HeavyGrips Hand grippers today. I bought the 6 set: 100, 150, 200, 250, 300, and 350.

I warmed up using the 100 and 150 and then I did 5x5 with the 200. I played with the 250, but I can't close it.

I plan to do a 5x5 with the hand grippers after every workout because I really want to get my hand strength up.

Keep it up man. stay consistent and everything should be fine.
I'll keep checking back and expect to see some pull-ups soon haha
Good luck!

Keep it up man. stay consistent and everything should be fine.
I'll keep checking back and expect to see some pull-ups soon haha
Good luck!

I did one pull-up yesterday! :)

My training partner weighs 170 and he was able to get 10 so I have that motivation to try to catch up with him. I never realized how hard just doing negatives on pullups/chinups are. My back is sore.

Just basic Atkins. My only rules are eat veggies at every meal and eat only meat and a little cheese with the veggies.

For example I had a little left over steak and left over Salmon with broccoli for breakfast and I had a chicken breast and spinach and bacon salad for lunch.

I only drink water, so I end up drinking 3/4-1 gallon of water a day.

As long as I keep losing weight I will stick with this I think.

Thanks for the encouraging words theNuge and Quest4Glory. I really appreciate it.

If you're eating vegetables then you're not on an Atkins diet. Atkins diets are zero-carb diets. I'm guessing you're on a South Beach diet. They're OK but I don't think they're balanced enough.

You should check out the D&S forum. I spend a lot of time there and the information there has had the biggest influence on a positive change in my life. I went from a flabby 245 pounds to a leaner 230 pounds and I feel ridiculously good. Especially check out Berardi's Seven Habits. That type of lifestyle is similar to the South Beach but it's better suited to guys like us who are so active. We need to eat a lot and more frequently.

If you're eating vegetables then you're not on an Atkins diet. Atkins diets are zero-carb diets. I'm guessing you're on a South Beach diet. They're OK but I don't think they're balanced enough.

You should check out the D&S forum. I spend a lot of time there and the information there has had the biggest influence on a positive change in my life. I went from a flabby 245 pounds to a leaner 230 pounds and I feel ridiculously good. Especially check out Berardi's Seven Habits. That type of lifestyle is similar to the South Beach but it's better suited to guys like us who are so active. We need to eat a lot and more frequently.

Hi theNuge, thanks for the tips. I did check out Berardi's Seven Habits and I was trying to eat like that about a month ago. I think it is real good info, but it is hard for me to stick too right now. When I tried to eat more often I was more hungry. I find that 3 meals works better for me.
My understanding of Atkins is that it is green veggies and meat. Maybe that is just how I do it.

I think I am close to the 7 habits in that I eat green veggies every meal and lots of water and I try to eat the leanest meat I can find, but sometimes with a little fat.
As long as I am losing weight I am going to stick with that, but I will read through more of the D&S forum and see what else I can pick up.

Thanks again for the tips.

Hi theNuge, thanks for the tips. I did check out Berardi's Seven Habits and I was trying to eat like that about a month ago. I think it is real good info, but it is hard for me to stick too right now. When I tried to eat more often I was more hungry. I find that 3 meals works better for me.
My understanding of Atkins is that it is green veggies and meat. Maybe that is just how I do it.

If you're hungry that isn't a bad thing. That's your body telling you that you need food. There's nothing saying that you need to restrict yourself from food and in fact you can put your body into a starvation state where it becomes harder to lose weight and if you do lose weight it's not the fat that you want to lose. It will be muscle. If you eat more often your m e t abolism speeds up and you'll burn off a lot of fat just by diet alone.

Keep in mind the above is just my $0.02 and I don't want to be pushy. I'm just a little worried that you won't get enough food to put on the muscle mass your body will want to put on once you start lifting.

If you're hungry that isn't a bad thing. That's your body telling you that you need food. There's nothing saying that you need to restrict yourself from food and in fact you can put your body into a starvation state where it becomes harder to lose weight and if you do lose weight it's not the fat that you want to lose. It will be muscle. If you eat more often your m e t abolism speeds up and you'll burn off a lot of fat just by diet alone.

Keep in mind the above is just my $0.02 and I don't want to be pushy. I'm just a little worried that you won't get enough food to put on the muscle mass your body will want to put on once you start lifting.

No, I think you are right. I should have explained that when I was following the 7 habits I was having carbs after my workout, but then I would still feel hungry. Now I am trying to eat nothing with extra carbs in it and I don't feel hungry.

I am going to keep monitoring my weight, energy levels, and relative feeling of stregth as well as my hunger levels and see what changes/tweaks I need to make. I feel like my body can't handle even complex carbs right now except for veggies eaten with some protein and fat. As I am going I plan to add in a little high-fiber complex carbs, but very little and see how I feel. In the past if I eat more carbs I get more hungry and then pretty soon I am off my diet. I am trying to avoid that this time. We'll see. Maybe I will try to eat more often. I seem to be eating 3 meals a day with one or two small high protein/med-fat snacks. So far it seems to be working.

Thanks again for the info/ideas/thoughts. They are always welcome. :D

Start: 12:00 PM
End: 1:07 PM

Warm-up: 5 min on step machine. Heartbeat up to 160. Stretched and did some knee pre-hab and shoulder pre-hab

Squat: 10xBW, 5x45, 5x95, 5x5x145
Barbell BP: 10x45 - right shoulder hurting. Haven't been barbell benching in a while because of shoulders, so switched to dumbells.
DB BP: 10x40, 5x5x60 - shoulder still hurts, have to keep stretching and doing pre-hab and hope it feels better.
BOR: 10x95, 4x5x145, 10x145
Dips: shoulder was hurting too bad to do too much on dips. Did some jump up and then negatives. Didn't seem to make the shoulder feel worse.

I hope my shoulder will feel better by monday. may have to see a doctor or something.
My right shoulder has bother me for years, but I want to work out more so hopefully weight training will help it streghten up and the pain will start going down. If not, it's off to see the doctor.

Weighed my self on Sunday and I was disapointed that my weight went up 2 pounds from last week to 280.
I plan to buy the precision nutrition and try that out.

Start: 12:15 PM
Finish: 1:20 PM
w/up - 10 min on stair machine heartbeat up to 160; avg around 150.
did shoulder prehab: DB retraction, DB protraction, Posterior Capsule Stretch - could really feel this stretch on my right shoulder, which is the one that has been hurting.
Got the shoulder prehab from:

DieselCrew.com - Shoulder Rehab Protocol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0ONHZmsFec

Also did some Knee pre-hab that I got from:

EliteFTS.com - Buddy Morris 2005 Interview Part 1: (there are 7 parts)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkxt6r1Q8ls

(all weights in pounds)
Squat: 8x95, 3x5x155, 2x5x165
OHP: 10x65, 5x85, 5x105, 3x5x115, 5x125
DL: 10x135, 6x255
Pull-up: 1+2 neg, 3 neg, 3 neg
Heavy grips: 10x100, 5x150, 5x5x200, 5x250 1/2 way

Start:11:20 AM
End: 12:35 PM
warm-up: 7 min on step machine - heartbeat up to 160
leg pre-hab: Band leg bend, step downs, stretch
Shoulder pre-had: Diesel Crew - DB Cuban rotations, Band External rotations, Band pull-aparts, Band Dislocations, Band Presses. 3 circuits of 10-12

all weights in pounds
Squat: 10x45, 5x135, 4x5x185 - Squats done as deep as possible, ATG

Barbell Bench Press - my shoulder felt a little better so I had my training partner give me a lift off out to over my lower chest and help bring it back when I was done with the set. I kept my chest up and shoulders tight back and my right shoulder felt pretty good. no noticable pain. 10x45, 10x95, 5x135, 5x155, 5x175, 2x5x205

BOR 5x135, 5x155, 3x5x165

Dips 3xpartial, 5xpartial, 3xpartial - didn't go very far down. on the last set I went down farther and had pain in my shoulder so I called it a day.

Start: 11:25 am
End: 12:40 pm
w/up: 7 min on step machine - heartbeat up to 157
Leg prehab: Band, step, stretch
Shoulder Prehab: (diesel crew) Pull-up retraction, barbell overhead shrugs, push-up plus, posterior capsule stretch

Squat: 7x45, 5x135, 5x185, 5x205, 5x225, 5x225 - I wobbled a bit on both last rep w/225
OHP: 10x45, 8x75, 5x115, 4x125, 3x5x125 - little bit wider grip on the last 3
DL: 5x135, 5x325
Pull-up: 0 couldn't do one. Tried to jump up and do a negative and I felt/heard a tear in my right lat. It is hurting today, but not too bad. I plan to stop trying to do pull-ups until I get stronger and/or lose some weight. I plan to replace pull-ups with underhand BOR's.

I have been reading John Berardi's articles and I plan to add some aerobic and anaerobic training to my workout plan and hopefully that will start to get some weight off.

Just curious, you said you've had shoudler pain for a while. What was the original injury from?

Back