Media Chuck Liddell's delcline dont make any sense..

He was always kinda sloppy with his offence and stiff. Once his chin and power went he was destined to fail.
In that same vein, it always amazed and pained me that Liddell defeated prime Vitor when Vitor seemed like a much slicker striker.

He got punched in the head a lot, it makes perfect sense.

It makes sense. Just the accumulation of all that has been said already took it's toll on him.

He drank a lot, including early in his career. A friend of mine was housemates with him in Santa Barbara. Said he really liked beer and fighting.

Old man walking like an...old man, who knew, if course he isnt going to be like a regular guy his age, he partied a lot and there is wear and tear that comes from fighting.
Like....it ain't rocket science lmao
Strange thread to make

I just dont get it. He was my fav MMA fighter back in the early 2000s

He got me into watching MMA and UFC.

Looking at how he was moving going into the last "fight".. it just dont look right. Like something is wrong with him.

This was just a few years before the "comeback"

Nothing great. But not that bad either.. now compare to the training for his last fight.

I mean... What the hell?

Father time aside... This aint normal delcline IMO.

<31>

not everyone's body reacts the same, ya chuck didn't look himself for years....that's from taking shots to be able to throw his own. he ate too many shots to the head over his mma career....notoriious for keeping his hands down and not protecting his face, just so he could throw his overhand shots or straights to get the finish.

personally i think when brain trauma happens and it starts to affect you, that it can either come gradually or just happen at a much quicker rate. you may be fine most of your life then the last 20 years suffer from Alzheimer's Disease caused from repeated strikes to the head from combat sports or some other type of neurological problem caused by the same issue.

Or you experience those severe symptoms or worse very quickly....like what happened to adonis stevenson, one fight and it almost cost him his life.

I think it's really a gamble, maybe much rarer to have one fight that ends your career but I think depending on the style increases the chances of you exhibiting neurological issues down the road especially if the style is keep your hand down and face ready to take punch.

its not high school fights in the parking lot...taunting your fellow class mate sticking your chin out saying hit me buddy.....great if it works but if the idea is to take your opponents punches to come off tough i think it's just moronic. imagine how much better chuck could've been had he listened or had a better boxing coach.....and kept his hands up and had better movement and boxing technique not just an overhand or straight.

CTE. His lost his skills after the rashad KO.

Aside from the party lifestyle. He wasn't exactly doing yoga or any type of restorative training to put himself back together.

Sadly he never was in to working on his defense, footwork or foundation. Neglect your martial arts foundation= deterioration of skillset.

He's moved like he has knee or hip problems for years too

I just dont get it. He was my fav MMA fighter back in the early 2000s

He got me into watching MMA and UFC.

Looking at how he was moving going into the last "fight".. it just dont look right. Like something is wrong with him.

This was just a few years before the "comeback"

Nothing great. But not that bad either.. now compare to the training for his last fight.

I mean... What the hell?

Father time aside... This aint normal delcline IMO.

<31>

Apparently he has had hip issues for a while. He struggles getting in and out of a car. Sometimes people don't realise how much they have declined with age. It may not be causing him a lot of pain, but clearly he does not have the mobility and therefore the balance, agility and athleticism he used to. Nor the reflex and speed.

That's basically why Chuck was "that bad".

I feel like this thread should be devoted to BJ Penn instead

Talk about dropping off Mauna Kea

Come on! Chuck never even took a lot of cte punishment but sniffed more drugs then some cities in America. Now he looks like most other junkies at his age after that insane brain abuse. True addiction is a sad and horrible decease. If you have the money to mix drugs the brain never sleeps..

Back