Media Chuck Liddell's delcline dont make any sense..

Yeah, I agree.

I think the guy had a substance abuse problem that went on for years, maybe more than a decade. When you’re young, you can get away with a lot, but as he got older, I think he became more addicted.

Oh yeah. Chuck went to a local spot almost weekly and was knee deep in young tail. I think he was a lot deeper into other substances as well as liquor. Prime Chuck did one thing better than knock out guys and that was party.

This. For a guy who was renowned as a great striker, Liddell was...awkward. Had he not had an insane amount of durability, he would've lost a LOT more fights earlier in his career.

Most obviously against Pele, Mezger and Reem he took quite significant punishment then took a very prolonged beating from Rampage in the first fight.

I suspect actually that match had a bigger impact on his longevity than the latter KOs, Rampage landed ALOT of big punches(100 significant strikes and Jackson not known for jabs)in that fight and it was only Chuck's chin that kept him in the match until he gassed.

Chuck's decline I think actually started not long after he won the UFC title, Babalu rocked him early and Tito did way better in the 2nd fight than the first.

In addition to partying and wear and tear, don't forget that he was super one dimensional and won the UFC championship by taking out grapplers who either couldn't take him down (Horn, Babalu, Tito, White) or couldn't consistently take him down (Couture).

When a guy doesn't really have to worry about getting taken down, his striking becomes A LOT better, hence how Jardine, Rashad, Franklin, Rua and even Tito in the 3rd fight could outstrike him.
He was just fighting better guys

He was just fighting better guys

I do think he benefited from being in the UFC fighting Randy, Tito and Babalu 7 times combined, none of them really known for having much power rather than Wand, Shogun, Hendo and Lil Nog in Pride.

He was always kinda sloppy with his offence and stiff. Once his chin and power went he was destined to fail.
Liddell was one of the UFC's best in the early 2000's but most of the top talent in the world in his weight class was in PRIDE at that time. His best wins were against Randy and Tito who were both grapplers. His best win against a striker was Belfort. He made it to age 38 before his chin quit on him so that's pretty good considering.

I do think he benefited from being in the UFC fighting Randy, Tito and Babalu 7 times combined, none of them really known for having much power rather than Wand, Shogun, Hendo and Lil Nog in Pride.
I agree. Ufc and pride seemed to evolve differently at the same time. I think we’d have more RING meta game if pride was Still around

I just dont get it. He was my fav MMA fighter back in the early 2000s

He got me into watching MMA and UFC.

Looking at how he was moving going into the last "fight".. it just dont look right. Like something is wrong with him.

This was just a few years before the "comeback"

Nothing great. But not that bad either.. now compare to the training for his last fight.

I mean... What the hell?

Father time aside... This aint normal delcline IMO.

<31>

You would never believe that was a pro fighter if you saw that in the gym. His coach is an embarrassment for not highlighting the deterioration.

What do you mean its not a normal decline.. the guy is fucking over 50 years old. These guys can't do this forever!
Its just weird though, the only explanation is cte, he was always stiff but im pretty sure that my 60 years opd dad could do a faster spinning backfist

I just dont get it. He was my fav MMA fighter back in the early 2000s

He got me into watching MMA and UFC.

Looking at how he was moving going into the last "fight".. it just dont look right. Like something is wrong with him.

Something IS wrong with him. His body is just shot from all the wars he fought. I have a friend who lives near San Diego and goes to a car repair shop where Liddel has been. The mechanics were telling him about how Chuck looked like he could barely walk and had trouble just getting in and out of a car.

I would say nr.1 factor was alcohol. He is an alcoholic and was for his entire career. With alcohol the neurological damage is permanent and can come from one day to annother. At the level of Chucks drinking he was basically filled with nerve toxins most of the week.

CTE etc sure have effects but that really isnt nr.1 The KOs against Rashad imo would also happened in his prime. He never had a good defense. Remember his fights in his prime vs. young Reem, Mezger and Rampage. Still he was a great fighter.

Alcohol is much more dangerous as people realize

Back