Media Chuck Liddell's delcline dont make any sense..

Frode Falch

Steel Belt
Professional Fighter
Reaction score
I just dont get it. He was my fav MMA fighter back in the early 2000s

He got me into watching MMA and UFC.

Looking at how he was moving going into the last "fight".. it just dont look right. Like something is wrong with him.

This was just a few years before the "comeback"

Nothing great. But not that bad either.. now compare to the training for his last fight.

I mean... What the hell?

Father time aside... This aint normal delcline IMO.

<31>

Old man walking like... and old man, who knew, of course he isnt going to be like a regular guy his age, he partied a lot and there is wear and tear that comes from fighting.

Last edited:
Those neurons ain’t firing up like they used to after years of partying. Chuck is my favourite fighter too he got me into the sport as well, but we all have to get old.

Lots of traumatic brain injuries with various degrees of severity plus substance abuse and a not so healthy lifestyle = I wasn't terribly surprised. Granted, we don't have a lot of research on that particular combination of health hazards, but I'm guessing it would be scary reading if we did.

Yeah he wasn't steady on his legs against Tito. I don't doubt there's a lil bit of brain damage with the amount he's been hit, that and sometimes people just age at a certain period of their lives. Mid to late 40's can be a slide from what I've seen

I personally think Chuck is suffering from CTE. Sad, but that's what happens when you're a brawler. A Khabib type fighter will have awful joint damage, but his brain will be fine.

GSDtaWkwt4v2cOxfZKPH-5INoBc-y_rA-RUqCETxIpUDYV5ovGnu121JPunmHXE5ZN8NoiCLvmx0bjfx73ietozioc-yCgKwrXFgQnfJR3AS-mHlsUc3DVIo2g

tumblr_m67pd9P1VH1ry1rm7o1_r1_250.gif

giphy.gif

2dj3xbr_medium.gif

giphy.gif

A quick summary of reasons.

Last edited:
it was such a rapid decline, he was never the most technical but sometimes ppls chins fade faster than others

I just dont get it. He was my fav MMA fighter back in the early 2000s

He got me into watching MMA and UFC.

Looking at how he was moving going into the last "fight".. it just dont look right. Like something is wrong with him.

This was just a few years before the "comeback"

Nothing great. But not that bad either.. now compare to the training for his last fight.

I mean... What the hell?

Father time aside... This aint normal delcline IMO.

<31>

Looks like booze, coke and sitting on your ass for 5 years.

Chuck lives about two hours away from me. That guy did enough drugs and drank enough booze to last a lifetime, while he was champ. We ran into him countless times when he was obliterated out of his mind. You mix that with his eat your punches to land his style and it expedited his fall.

In addition to partying and wear and tear, don't forget that he was super one dimensional and won the UFC championship by taking out grapplers who either couldn't take him down (Horn, Babalu, Tito, White) or couldn't consistently take him down (Couture).

When a guy doesn't really have to worry about getting taken down, his striking becomes A LOT better, hence how Jardine, Rashad, Franklin, Rua and even Tito in the 3rd fight could outstrike him.

He was always kinda sloppy with his offence and stiff. Once his chin and power went he was destined to fail.
This. For a guy who was renowned as a great striker, Liddell was...awkward. Had he not had an insane amount of durability, he would've lost a LOT more fights earlier in his career.

Father Time aside..... as if you get to make that choice

Chuck lives about two hours away from me. That guy did enough drugs and drank enough booze to last a lifetime, while he was champ. We ran into him countless times when he was obliterated out of his mind. You mix that with his eat your punches to land his style and it expedited his fall.

Yeah, I agree.

I think the guy had a substance abuse problem that went on for years, maybe more than a decade. When you’re young, you can get away with a lot, but as he got older, I think he became more addicted.

Back