Law Cashless Society: Should Retail Stores & Restaurants be Allowed to Refuse Cash as a Legal Tender?

It's a hassle when 99% of the business is credit or debit. Cashless businesses are also much less likely to be robbed or have employee theft.

The U.S dollar is legal tender for all debts both public and private.

Good.

Not every one of my transactions needs to have a paper trail. Only the ones that I, myself, deem necessary.

Why in the BLUE FUDGE would you not accept cash??!?!?

{<huh}

You don’t trust your employees plus it stops robberies.

Overall a cashless society is a blueprint for tyranny. The state will track everything you’d do and tax everything you spend.

To expand upon that, should you also be allowed to pay in all pennies?

I think businesses should be allowed to have policies such as no denominations over $20 or not taking an obscene amount of change but saying no cash at all?

I think it might be a step to far

I support this. No one should have to have a bank account or a credit card. Doesn't matter what a "benefit" it is, it shouldn't be a requirement for a purchase.

Philly is doing this as well and I'm not sure what I think of it yet.

But it does seem kind of wrong that a business can reject taking legal US tender
Waiting for them to tell you how to feel about it?

Cash has to be accepted. The end. Any human who advocated for a cashless society is so beyond ignorant of individuals interest that you literally can't listen to anything they say about anything. We cannot give up our ability to accumulate wealth without the "permission" of others. The banks already have too much power, so handing over all the wealth to them in total is a tad stupid.

I hate paying for things with cash. Counting the change the cashier gave me and then stuffing the bills into my wallet and putting coins into my pocket is less convenient than putting my credit card back into my wallet.

Should you be "allowed" to pay with legal, government-issued money?

MrBeast says yes.

I'd be fine with some kind of law saying that if your purchase is over $X (let's say $100 for the sake of discussion), the business can decline unless they've been wrapped. I don't think it's unfair to put the burden of grouping the coins on the consumer.

Saw an old guy throw an absolute fit when he couldn't pay cash for a coffee at an airport. Shoved the bill in the cashiers face and went on about the "legal tender" thing and she was just like, "I'm sorry sir, but I don't even have a cash register here."

I agreed with him, but he was a right royal cunt about it. Next guy in line tried to be peacemaker by pulling out his card and offering to pay, but cash guy more enjoyed exiting in a self ritcheous huff over it

Drug dealers, hoes, teens, etc need to be able to buy stuff too!

I used to be a waiter. A party of 20 people paying individually cash, especially on a busy night, would fuck up the service for the entire restaurant. It just takes too long to separate bills and count all that cash. It makes sense for a high volume place that makes their brand on fast service to cut cash entirely.

Also, people who don't trust plastic or the internet

How can you not trust plastic? It never lies. It never cheats. It never takes all your money in a divorce proceeding.

images

What’s going to happen when either power or communications go out?
No more sales and everyone that relies on plastic is temporarily broke until the problems are fixed.

Saw an old guy throw an absolute fit when he couldn't pay cash for a coffee at an airport. Shoved the bill in the cashiers face and went on about the "legal tender" thing and she was just like, "I'm sorry sir, but I don't even have a cash register here."

I agreed with him, but he was a right royal cunt about it. Next guy in line tried to be peacemaker by pulling out his card and offering to pay, but cash guy more enjoyed exiting in a self ritcheous huff over it

Yeah he’s right but what the hell is she going to do about it? Not a good move either; that kind of outburst could get you denied access to the plane. Airlines don’t tend to let irate people board.

Back