News Canelo to fight at cruiserweight!!

People are actually upset that as former WW is challenging himself and fighting for a title at got damn CW?

Other welterweight champions have moved up to cruiserweight like Tommy and others so it's nothing new, Canelo just picked the weakest champion a C+ champion he gets credit but not overpraised.

CANELO VS ILUNGA MAKABU FACE-OFF FOR CRUISERWEIGHT FIGHT, MAKABU LOOKS HUGE, BOTH SIZE EACH OTHER UP

People need to realize that Makabu could VERY REALISTICALLY either KO Canelo or RUIN his CHIN. Canelo playing with fire and his haters are out in full force saying Canelo is cherrypicking. Pathetic on both sides because Canelo is realistically taking a huge risk and fans are just looking for blood. Don't know why Canelo doesn't go 175 though
Yes it's still an interesting fight, but that it's for a title at a lower weight than usual, and that the opponent is mediocre in his own weight class does make it a cherrypick. In a historical perspective this would not be a title fight. It's only possible now due to so many sanctioning bodies and extra weight classes.

Looks like Mubaku is only a few inches taller, so about 5'10. Canelo will also put on another 15lbs. I expect mubaku will be imitating a heavy bag on fight night.

Looks like Mubaku is only a few inches taller, so about 5'10. Canelo will also put on another 15lbs. I expect mubaku will be imitating a heavy bag on fight night.

Yeah, he's not that big and his defense isn't good just walks forward absorbing punches. Canelo will just take his time land the hook late and Mubaku will just go down; he's a C+ champion.

At the end of the day this fight isn't great, that much is obvious. Canelo is moving up to CW and fighting the weakest champ, and it'll be a good accomplishment if he wins thinking about where he started. The main thing is what he does after this fight... if he stays at CW he has to fight someone like Breidis, Okolie or even Dorticos, if he moves back to LHW he has to fight one of the champs, preferably Bivol or Beterbiev, though even if it's Joe Smith that's still a great win, and you never know Browne could beat Beterbiev next month so that's another option too. If Canelo moves back to SMW it has to be Benavidez, i'm looking at the SMW rankings right now and i don't see anyone else who could fight Canelo right now. We're not even gonna bother with MW.

Like i said, take this fight with a grain of salt and focus on what Canelo does after this fight.

Yeah, he's not that big and his defense isn't good just walks forward absorbing punches. Canelo will just take his time land the hook late and Mubaku will just go down; he's a C+ champion.

But if Mukabu was that bad why doesn't every JMW, MW, SMW, or LHW go after him

But if Mukabu was that bad why doesn't every JMW, MW, SMW, or LHW go after him

There trying to win belts @ their own weight classes, others aren't interested in moving up.

No they arent. The top guys dont even fight each other.
They don't have to when there are 4 sanctioning bodies to choose from and they aren't forced to unify. That's probably the biggest problem in boxing nowadays.

They don't have to when there are 4 sanctioning bodies to choose from and they aren't forced to unify. That's probably the biggest problem in boxing nowadays.
And if theyre not willing to fight one another none of them get to cry about being avoided by the guy who is fighting and beating everyone. Its a fucking joke to say the least.

Other welterweight champions have moved up to cruiserweight like Tommy and others so it's nothing new, Canelo just picked the weakest champion a C+ champion he gets credit but not overpraised.

CANELO VS ILUNGA MAKABU FACE-OFF FOR CRUISERWEIGHT FIGHT, MAKABU LOOKS HUGE, BOTH SIZE EACH OTHER UP

lmao okay

“he’s not special. a couple guys have done this already. you know, guys like tommy hearns and roy jones jr” oh you mean two of the best fighters of all time? <Lmaoo>

name the guys hearns beat at CW and try to tell me with a straight face that any of them hold a candle to makabu

lmao okay

“he’s not special. a couple guys have done this already. you know, guys like tommy hearns and roy jones jr” oh you mean two of the best fighters of all time? <Lmaoo>
Meh. Not quite this dame type of scenario.

name the guys hearns beat at CW and try to tell me with a straight face that any of them hold a candle to makabu
It wasn't a prime Hearns fighting at CW. What's the big deal in admitting this is a cherrypicked fight?

It wasn't a prime Hearns fighting at CW. What's the big deal in admitting this is a cherrypicked fight?
cherry-picked in what way? because makabu isn’t the #1 ranked cruiserweight? i can admit that he’s not ranked as highly as some other cruiserweights, but he’s a legitimate world champ 4 weight classes (5 if you include bridger) above canelo’s ideal weight. hard to call any top ten opponent at cruiserweight a cherry pick for a middleweight.

cherry-picked in what way? because makabu isn’t the #1 ranked cruiserweight? i can admit that he’s not ranked as highly as some other cruiserweights, but he’s a legitimate world champ 4 weight classes (5 if you include bridger) above canelo’s ideal weight. hard to call any top ten opponent at cruiserweight a cherry pick for a middleweight.
It's a cherrypicked title because they will fight 10 pounds under the modern class limit. It's also against a contender in the weight class not a legitimate champion. He just happens to be the worst titlist and fighting for the WBC. It's still an interesting fight but nothing many other greats haven't accomplished when there were fewer weight classes and only one real champ.

It's still an interesting fight but nothing many other greats haven't accomplished when there were fewer weight classes and only one real champ.

Not unprecedented, nor worth shitting on. While this is true it could be said about pretty much any title bout in recent memory.

Back