1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

News Canelo to fight at cruiserweight!!

Discussion in 'Boxing Discussion' started by RDL81, Nov 16, 2021.

1. PUO3 You are a can. Staff Member Senior Moderator

Piss off with the forum complaints dude. Enough already. No one asks you to post here, feel free not to.

Nova44, WklySportsMemes and Hagler like this.
  2. bjl12 White Belt

Wait the WBC is forcing a CW? Thats odd

3. RizinSon88 She came to me with a serpent's kiss...

This match doesn't bother me anymore than Jones vs. Ruiz or De La Hoya's adventures at 160lbs. with Sturm. It isn't the last match Canelo will ever fight and frankly I hope it goes differently than wearing down some overmatched contender for the inevitable stoppage. Maybe size with finally make a difference even at the old cruiserweight limit. I'll be watching.

The other contenders aren't going anywhere (or honestly fighting anyone of importance outside of GGG at least taking a unification match).

4. 4daLuLZ Black Belt

When you skip fighters in your own division (Benavidez, GGG, Beterbiev) to go after the weakest gimme in the division above, you always rightfully leave yourself open to the allegation of cherry picking and ducking.

C'est la vie, mfkers.

<Fedor23>

5. aries Gold Belt

Everyone keeps saying 'oh it's just a catch weight' but it's not, it's an actual belt on the line, one that they have artificially created seemingly just for Canelo. Now I don't know if the WBC thought up Bridgerweight (about a year ago) before thinking that moving the CW limit lower would work for Canelo to win another title at another weight class or the other way around but it's damn convenient and it's not like the WBC are above fuckery like this. I would laugh so damn hard if Makabu KO's Canelo and not because I dislike Canelo, just to see it blow up in the WBC's face.

LangfordBarrow and bjl12 like this.
  6. bjl12 White Belt

People need to realize that Makabu could VERY REALISTICALLY either KO Canelo or RUIN his CHIN. Canelo playing with fire and his haters are out in full force saying Canelo is cherrypicking. Pathetic on both sides because Canelo is realistically taking a huge risk and fans are just looking for blood. Don't know why Canelo doesn't go 175 though

LangfordBarrow likes this.
  7. aries Gold Belt

It's dangerous. Makabu might not be a very good CW but he is a CW. Although he will be weight drained to 190 as I expect a rehydration clause like they did to Kovalev.
    As for Canelo going to 175 I still think he can as he will be able to make 190 without excessive bulking and after he can still make 175.

8. bjl12 White Belt

Even if the rehydration clause is 200lbs...Makabu is not going to be water weight 200lbs. If you saw their faceoff Makabu is literally like 3-4 dress sizes bigger than Canelo and he's basically the same height. The boy is just much, much bigger. Canelo will definitely NOT win by stoppage. In fact it's very likely the Canelo from GGG 1 reappears.

At 175 I think you'll see GGG2 Canelo against Bivol and GGG1 Canelo against Beterbiev. Can't wait

JuanLeche likes this.
  9. aries Gold Belt

I don't know the rehydration clause,even if it was 200lb that's not good for Makabu, he is going to be weight drained by 20lbs as I'd guess he is usually 220lb rehydrated. He should be able to absorb Canelos shots but many thought Kovalev would be fine with Canelos hardest shots. Some canny posters mentioned Kovalev soft liver due to his excessive drinking. But yeah I expect Canelo to avoid Makabu's best shots while landing some of his best and getting a convincing points decision. Can't wait until he fights Bivol or Beterbiev.

10. what-wut Brown Belt Platinum Member

The 190 weight was being considered before Canelo fight. But keep on hating please.

11. aries Gold Belt

Oh so the WBC never considered creating the 190 weight with Canelo's benefit in mind because you say so.... yeah that would be nefarious and the WBC would NEVER do such a thing because like you say they could never plan something like that in advance...

[​IMG]

12. Old Cat Gold Belt

So the now WBC created a new weight class solely to give the Redhead a new trinket? This was all part of a master plan by the WBC to give Canelo a belt down the road, at a weight no one in their right mind would have expected him fight? Those are some next level intellects over at the WBC.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2021
    Blake_UK and JuanLeche like this.
  13. what-wut Brown Belt Platinum Member

No, not because I said so, because it's been reported on before.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bo...-190-which-force-boxers-bridgerweight--153214

14. aries Gold Belt

Which refutes my suggestion how? How do you know they didn't have Canelo in mind when they announced it? Notice that this was posted just after Canelo had beaten Kovalev at LHW, so how do you know the idea of Canelo getting a title at CW wasn't being played around with then?

15. aries Gold Belt

Why do people have to leap to extremes to win an argument? Nobody said it was the sole reason for creating a new weight class but it's not a great leap to think that Canelo might be able to compete at CW if they lowered the limit. After all the WBC announced this a couple of weeks after Canelo successfully got his LHW belt. But yeah that's just a total coincidence, the WBC could never think that one up.....

16. Roids Brown Belt

Right because Canelo would have never previously told them he had plans to fight at CW to go for 5 belts, and that idea only popped into his head a few minutes before it was announced right?

You really think its coincidence that the organization that has been blatantly pandering to Canelo for years, suddenly happened to create a lower CW division right around the time that suits Canelo perfectly?

Are grown adults really this naive?

aries likes this.
  17. TronSpecial Blue Belt

Take off the tinfoil hat bro

JuanLeche and PUO3 like this.
  18. ironfist05 Silver Belt

no, the WBC changed its cruiserweight limit to 190 lbs to make room for a new division (the bridgerweight division which weights 225 lbs). No it doesn't make sense but I can direct you to scream into the abyss because that will be as effective in dealing with the WBC's out of control sleazy corruption as directing complaints to Mauricio Suleiman.

LangfordBarrow, aries and bjl12 like this.
  19. SalvadorAllende Yellow Card Yellow Card

Also who would not do the same thing in his position?

PUO3 likes this.
  20. aries Gold Belt

I can't believe people are that naive, I really find it hard to believe. This is the WBC we are talking about. The same outfit who did this:

dillian-whyte-reaches-1000th-day-as-wbc-no-1-challenger