News Canelo to fight at cruiserweight!!

Not unprecedented, nor worth shitting on. While this is true it could be said about pretty much any title bout in recent memory.
Titles aren't Championships the way they used to be. This fight can give him a title in another weight class but calling him a 5 division champ would come with an asterisk. He's a three division champ in an era of intermediate weight classes.

It's a cherrypicked title because they will fight 10 pounds under the modern class limit. It's also against a contender in the weight class not a legitimate champion. He just happens to be the worst titlist and fighting for the WBC. It's still an interesting fight but nothing many other greats haven't accomplished when there were fewer weight classes and only one real champ.
makabu has been the wbc champ for almost two years now. he’s universally ranked in the top 3 across all major boxing publications. he’s a legitimate champion. you won’t be impressed with canelo unless he beats tyson fury with a blindfold, but that’s a you problem. not a canelo problem.

makabu has been the wbc champ for almost two years now. he’s universally ranked in the top 3 across all major boxing publications. he’s a legitimate champion. you won’t be impressed with canelo unless he beats tyson fury with a blindfold, but that’s a you problem. not a canelo problem.
I'll be impressed with him if he wins even by decision. It's nothing other ATGs haven't accomplished though so I'll rate it accordingly.

I think Canelo is PFP and has already proven himself as an ATG. This fight isn't going to raise his standing substantially. If we're going to start calling him the best ever after this win then...

I'll be impressed with him if he wins even by decision. It's nothing other ATGs haven't accomplished though so I'll rate it accordingly.

I think Canelo is PFP and has already proven himself as an ATG. This fight isn't going to raise his standing substantially. If we're going to start calling him the best ever after this win then...

well he’ll probably never be the best ever but he doesn’t need to be. i’m just bored with people trying to poke holes in every great fighter. he’s an all time great and these fights should be appreciated while we still have canelo around.

cherry-picked in what way?

Oh so you are actually denying Makabu is even cherry picked? lol! The guy universally regarded as the weakest champ in the division and that nobody never heard of, is not a cherry pick. Got it thanks.

makabu has been the wbc champ for almost two years now. he’s universally ranked in the top 3 across all major boxing publications. he’s a legitimate champion

He won the vacant title vs a nobody and defended it once in 2 years vs a bum, clearly a legitimate champ!

I think Canelo is PFP and has already proven himself as an ATG

Never heard of an ATG who's best win was one very controversial decision. The rest is just smoke and mirrors. Canelo is very good but just a manufactured ATG.

He won the vacant title vs a nobody and defended it once in 2 years vs a bum, clearly a legitimate champ!
lmfao your casual is showing. duradola is an old man but he’s no bum. he’s been top ten for a decade if not longer. the vacant belt was won against cieslak who had just KO’d duradola himself. also before the bellew fight, makabu smoked mchunu who is still a top cruiserweight to this day. you may only know usyk and breidis, but there are more solid fighters in the division. watch more boxing.
Never heard of an ATG who's best win was one very controversial decision.
roberto duran. again, you’re a casual.
The rest is just smoke and mirrors. Canelo is very good but just a manufactured ATG.
<YeahOKJen>

Never heard of an ATG who's best win was one very controversial decision.
Sugar Ray Leonard (Hagler)? Roman Gonzalez (JFE)? Joe Calzaghe (B-Hops)? Hilario Zapata (Chang)? GGG (Jacobs)? Fighting Harada (Jofre)? Tito Trinidad (ODLH)? Shane Mosley (ODLH)? ODLH (Whittaker)?

there are a lot of fighters who get very controversial wins that end up getting brushed under the table by people with rosy glasses.

Last edited:
Oh so you are actually denying Makabu is even cherry picked? lol! The guy universally regarded as the weakest champ in the division and that nobody never heard of, is not a cherry pick. Got it thanks.

Never heard of an ATG who's best win was one very controversial decision. The rest is just smoke and mirrors. Canelo is very good but just a manufactured ATG.
He's on his way though. Since the GGG win he's been moving up in weight impressively.

lmfao your casual is showing. duradola is an old man but he’s no bum. he’s been top ten for a decade if not longer. the vacant belt was won against cieslak who had just KO’d duradola himself. also before the bellew fight, makabu smoked mchunu who is still a top cruiserweight to this day. you may only know usyk and breidis, but there are more solid fighters in the division. watch more boxing.

roberto duran. again, you’re a casual.

<YeahOKJen>
Duran? {<huh}

Interesting how people keep repeating "there are weight classes for a reason" when it suits their agenda to imply that a lower weight class guy could never beat someone fighting in a heavier weight class.

But in cases like this, weight classes are apparently just semantics and it doesn't matter at all that Canelo's fighting a world champion that's much heavier than he is.

Oh ok so a 41 year old with 9 losses is not a bum, because he's been ranked top 10 for a long time? And I'm the casual? lol! Thanks for your deep analysis.

there are a lot of fighters who get very controversial wins that end up getting brushed under the table by people with rosy glasses.

My point was that controversial win was the highlight of his career. That does not apply to those other fighters who had a much deeper list of achievements and wins.

would you not agree duran’s best win is a UD over leonard by a couple points? you know, the same circumstances as canelo/golovkin 2?

I was not aware that most people thought Leonard won that fight? which is what happened with Canelo GGG 2. What's Canelos best win after his GGG 'win'?

My point was that controversial win was the highlight of his career. That does not apply to those other fighters who had a much deeper list of achievements and wins.
you asked for a list of fighters whose career highlight was a controversial win and I gave you 9 fighters, each and every one of them a bonafide ATG. I'd add that Canelo's resume is a lot deeper than just GGG and I think you know that, but I doubt you'll allow yourself to be convinced.

Oh ok so a 41 year old with 9 losses is not a bum, because he's been ranked top 10 for a long time? And I'm the casual? lol! Thanks for your deep analysis.
literally yes. i don’t even have to dunk on you, you’re doing it to yourself. watch more boxing.

no it wasn’t. you just moved the goalposts because everyone called you an idiot. the new goalposts are still wrong btw.

I was not aware that most people thought Leonard won that fight? which is what happened with Canelo GGG 2. What's Canelos best win after his GGG 'win'?
most people didn’t think GGG won the second fight. most people had it a draw if anything, they thought he won the first fight. who is this “most people?” espn writers on twitter? mma publications? feel free to bump the pbp thread from that fight because i feel like nearly everyone reputable on this forum had it close, either a draw or for canelo. wins in close fights count too.

literally yes. i don’t even have to dunk on you, you’re doing it to yourself. watch more boxing.

Yes you are dunking on me so hard by denying a 41 year old with 9 losses, with only 2 wins vs someone with a wiki, never a wc, is a bum.

most people didn’t think GGG won the second fight. most people had it a draw if anything, they thought he won the first fight. who is this “most people?” espn writers on twitter? mma publications? feel free to bump the pbp thread from that fight because i feel like nearly everyone reputable on this forum had it close, either a draw or for canelo. wins in close fights count too.

Media scores for the rematch.

34 for GGG, 2 for Canelo, 15 for Draw

And thats apparently the career highlight 'win' for Canelo.

GG.

Yes you are dunking on me so hard by denying a 41 year old with 9 losses, with only 2 wins vs someone with a wiki, never a wc, is a bum.
he KO’d kudryashov lmfao also given elite fighters great work, always winning tune-ups in devastating fashion. i’m not saying he’s sugar ray robinson but he’s a perennial title contender in the division with devastating power.
Media scores for the rematch.

34 for GGG, 2 for Canelo, 15 for Draw

And thats apparently the career highlight 'win' for Canelo.

GG.
exactly. twitter journalists. how about these scores?

Dave Moretti 115-113
Steve Weisfeld 115-113
Glenn Feldman 114-114

golovkin jabbed effectively off his back foot but got washed in power punches, and gave up ground most of the fight. that’s what judges care about. that’s literally the scoring criteria.

he KO’d kudryashov lmfao also given elite fighters great work, always winning tune-ups in devastating fashion. i’m not saying he’s sugar ray robinson but he’s a perennial title contender in the division with devastating power.

So he had one decent win 6 years ago, and only has 2 wins vs anyone with a wiki in his whole career, yes super impressive. Imagine thinking 'perennial title contender' means anything in todays alphabet soup especially in probably the weakest division.

exactly. twitter journalists. how about these scores?

No, actual boxing media journalists, who watch, report and analysis the sport for a living. Probably the best metric to give a measure of public sentiment on a fight. Only 2 of them thought Canelo won, and you are still arguing?

So he had one decent win 6 years ago, and only has 2 wins vs anyone with a wiki in his whole career, yes super impressive. Imagine thinking 'perennial title contender' means anything in todays alphabet soup especially in probably the weakest division.

No, actual boxing media journalists, who watch, report and analysis the sport for a living. Probably the best metric to give a measure of public sentiment on a fight. Only 2 of them thought Canelo won, and you are still arguing?
no, if you actually read the article, like 2/3 are mma websites and general tweets from assorted reporters from random news sites. here’s the list:

Harold Lederman (HBO Sports): 116-112 Golovkin

Brian Campbell (CBS sports): 116-112 Golovkin

Dan Rafael (ESPN): 114-114 draw

Salvador Rodríguez (ESPN Mexico): 114-114 draw

Gareth A Davies (The Telegraph): 116-112 Golovkin

Josh Peter (USA Today): 115-113 Golovkin

Sports Illustrated: 114-114 draw

Dylan Hernandez (LA Times): 115-113 Golovkin

Lance Pugmire (La Times): 114-114 draw

Box Scene: 114-114 draw

Chris Mannix (Yahoo! Sports): 115-113 Golovkin

Kevin Iole (Yahoo! Sports): 114-114 draw

The Guardian: 116-112 Golovkin

Joe DePaolo (Washington Post): 115-113 Golovkin

Mike Coppinger (Ring Magazine): 114-114 draw

Jai Bednall (news.com.au): 115-113 Golovkin

Brian Mazique (Forbes): 114-114 draw

Adam Abramowitz (Ring Magazine and SN Boxing): 115-113 Golovkin

Tom Craze (Bad Left Hook): 116-112 Golovkin

Fraser Coffeen (Bloody Elbow): 115-113 Golovkin

The Associated Press: 114-114 draw

Bill Simmons (HBO and The Ringer): 114-114 draw

Steven Muehlhausen (Sporting News): 116-112 Golovkin

Michael Montero (MonteroOnBoxing): 115-113 Golovkin

Matt Christie (Boxing News): 115-114 Golovkin

George Willis (New York Post): 114-114 draw

Below The Belt Podcast: 115-113 Golovkin

World Boxing News: 115-113 Golovkin

Jeff Powell (Daily Mail): 116-113 Golovkin

that’s 6 actual boxing publications/reporters with 3 draws, and 2 for golovkin by literally one point. harold lederman is the only mildly respectable pundit on that list who had it for golovkin by more than a point. here’s the boxing world reacting to the fight:

https://fansided.com/2018/09/16/boxing-world-reacts-canelo-alvarez-gennady-golovkin-2/amp/

regardless, you can cry corruption all you want but the guy who comes forward and lands more power punches usually wins the fight.

So you want to ignore all the sports reporters from credible media organizations? Must be nice to tailor reality to suit your delusional world view. Notice how I don't need to be selective and just included everyone? Wonder why?

So you want to ignore all the sports reporters from credible media organizations? Must be nice to tailor reality to suit your delusional world view. Notice how I don't need to be selective and just included everyone? Wonder why?
because most people don’t know shit about boxing or how boxing judges score fights lol if you think golovkin won the fight because ariel helwani and brendan schaub said so, then that’s on you. canelo won a close fight doing shit that judges like, get over it. that’s typically exactly what separates the GOATs from the rest.

Back