News Canelo to fight at cruiserweight!!

Discussion in 'Boxing Discussion' started by RDL81, Nov 16, 2021.

1. Roids Brown Belt

huh? Cruiserweight has been 200lbs for almost 20 years, and still is with all the other orgs, so what are you talking about?

And Nice try but you still did not answer my question. When has a challenger in history been the one enforcing the catchweight to the champ. I don't care about 'the draw' Im talking about the challenger.

2. Hagler Man of wealth and taste Platinum Member

190 is between 200 and 175 hence CW, dummy.

And I did bring up Leonard vs Lalonde. Lalonde put his LHW belt on the line while accepting to cut to 168, because Leonard demanded it. Guess what ? Leonard was both the challenger and the bigger draw.

You’re not getting better at this.

3. Roids Brown Belt

Oh so now you have resorted to being completely dishonest. The weight limit for CW is 200lbs not 190lbs. Are you going to pretend we were not talking about the weight limit, or you just didn't grasp it?

Ok cool. So this was negotiated between both sides and was not a fake weight division created by a corrupt organisation to FORCE it?

4. Hagler Man of wealth and taste Platinum Member

Ever heard about catchweights ? They’re fairly common in boxing history. A boxer weighting 190 lbs is a goddamn cruiserweight.

5. Roids Brown Belt

Yes I have but they are not the same division especially when the gap is so large, going back almost 20 years.

That Leonard fight was a little bit different also. The SM title was also on the line so they fought at SM weight with the LHW title on the line.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2021
  6. Hagler Man of wealth and taste Platinum Member

Well, two guys agreeing to fight under 190 lbs are cruiserweights.

Once more I’m not crazy about catchweights, but then again they are fairly common.

7. Roids Brown Belt

They are not both agreeing. The 190 is being forced by the WBC.

You claim you are not crazy about catch weights but you still refuse to criticize Canelo for this clearly orchestrated bullshit.

8. Hagler Man of wealth and taste Platinum Member

Canelo’s side certainly benefits from the decision - which was the point - and I don’t like it, hence I won’t praise him for it.

That being said the outcome is pretty much the same as a 190 lbs catchweight for the Makubu fight - I doubt Alvarez will stay at CW - and catchweights are fairy common in boxing, hence bitching endlessely about it seems a tad pointless.

9. Roids Brown Belt

Who ever asked you to praise him for it? See how obviously you are dancing? You are being asked to criticize him for it, but you just can't do it. Its not pointless at all to condemn a corrupt organization creating a different weight class for a title fight to suit a challenger, which is very different to two fighters negotiating a catch fight. By the way if Benavidez ever did anything like that I would not hold back. Enjoy your fanboyism. GG

10. kenetics Gold Belt

Yes it's still a joke if you think he would fight at hw..

11. Hagler Man of wealth and taste Platinum Member

I have a feeling most people don’t do what you ask them to over the internet, rightfully so. Canelo pulled a move I dislike that’s pretty similar to many catchweight deals in history, period. You’re gonna have to live with it. On a side note I root against Canelo more often than not, but I enjoy boxing and childish behaviors online just tend to bother me. Enjoy your keyboard warrior hatred. Best regards.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2021
  12. S U I H C U L A C C I Orange Belt

190 was the original cruiserweight. Also were you aware that every division is made up?

Hagler likes this.
  13. Roids Brown Belt

Christ imagine thinking that was actually a legitimate argument.

14. Roids Brown Belt

A organization creating a phantom bridge weight division for the benefit of a title challenger is unprecedented in history. This has no relation to a regular catch weight deal between fighters for a title fight which itself is quite bad.

Funny thing is I don't root against him. Your mind is blown right? I know its hard to comprehend someone making objective arguments without an agenda.

15. Hagler Man of wealth and taste Platinum Member

At the end of the day two 190 pounders will fight for a CW belt, which is hardly unprecedented in history. Nice try, though.

And Lol @ « without an agenda ». The bulk of your posting happens to be whining about Alvarez. There was a big WW fight last night and you cared little about it, as far as your posting can tell.

16. Roids Brown Belt

Problem is one of them isn't a 190lb fighter. nice try though. Your dedication in trying to apologize for this farce is admirable.

But its justified whining. You on the other hand have admitted you have an agenda in just disliking Canelo for the sake of it.

17. Hagler Man of wealth and taste Platinum Member

I’m no Canelo fan but I try to add a little perspective to my likes and dislikes. It’s called adulthood and you may want to give it a try.

Oh, and when the weight-in comes both guys will likely make the 190lbs limit. That’s, like, two 190 pounders. And two cruiserweights, for the record.

18. bjl12 Yellow Belt

Canelo cant fight everyone. These guys need to make themselves stand out and neither Andrade or Charlo has done that. Exact same thing is going on w/ Benavidez now. Benavidez wouldve gotten the fight if he could make weight but he surrendered the belt on the scales.

Just because random people like Stephen Edwards (or AkhiTv) say Canelo is hype and Plant, Danny Jacobs, or Benavidez will beat Canelo doesn't make it so.

Oh and of course theres that YT video where Jermell makes fun of Jermall for ducking Canelo...maybe that GBP offer that DLH said happened really did happen after all...

19. Ovie White Belt

They don't do cruiserweight like they used to... I used to hang out in Terry Ray's training camps and sneak in for a couple rounds as a kid aspiring kickboxer back in the day...

LangfordBarrow likes this.
  20. FlowchartRog Brown Belt

As someone who's never been a fan of Canelo, I agree. I can't people are shitting on him for this, it's nuts.

The jump in bodyweight % is similar to what Pacquiao did, starting as a tiny 106 pounder, and then destroying welterweights.

It's a ballsy move whatever way you look at it. Cruiser is one stop from HW, that guy is huge compared to Canelo.

LangfordBarrow and PUO3 like this.