News Canelo to fight at cruiserweight!!

Floyd got hurt by DeMarcus Corley. So what? Fighters get hurt. I hate it when fans do this. Canelo recently fought Avni Yildrim. Why is that okay yet I bring up fighters like Andrade and people get defensive. If Andrade is slow then Canelo fans should be okay with it. He's definitely more skillful than Makabu.
Because people complain about who Canelo is fighting then mention Andrade, Charlo, or Benavidez as if they are some great measuring stick of success. They, collectively, have done nothing.
Its a different type of slick. BJS was doing well before he had that "eye issue" and Andrade IMO is a better version of BJS.
BJS was down on rounds and got a likely career ending injury from Canelo’s fist. Which part of that was doing well?

Not this Andrade nonsense again. He's beaten nobody worth a damn his entire career, gets booed out of the arena every time he fights, and takes the most basic guys to decision because he can't be bothered putting in effort. Canelo laughed him off after the BJS fight and everyone else should too, the guy will probably retire undefeated having never fought anybody.

100% the most boring boxer in recent years.

https://www.badlefthook.com/2021/11...-paid-watch-still-dread-dazn-boxing-news-2021
Thats because I believe he's being ducked by many fighters. I follow the eye test. Now sometimes the eye test is wrong. Maybe I am overrating Andrade but there's a certain style that gets ducked just as much as the power guys. Slick fighters. I genuinely believe Oscar Valdez doesn't want to fight Shakur Stevenson. That pretty boy floyd was ducked until he beat Oscar and became money mayweather. Then all the sudden it was worth losing to him and you get my point. You see to some fans it may seem likely that Ryan Garcia would duck Gervonta Davis over Devin Haney but the reality is Davis is easier to beat. There's danger there due to his power but he's there to be hit whereas Devin Haney with that slickness will make you look like a fool.

If he wins. Testament to the greatness of that black bald fella with the fake beard.

Fighting guys who actually can beat him is 'incredible'.

Carefully picking the weakest champion in the division to just snatch the title from him and then not fight again in the division is cherry picking.

This is the story of this guy's career. His resume looms good on paper. But then when you actually look into it you see the clear picture. The real picture.

There are at least 3 fighters in divisions under CW who actually can beat him and should get their shot.

But, Canelo is too busy 'doing incredible things' to actually fight a legitimate threat.

You're assuming he will not fight in the division again, which is yet to be seen. Either way, moving up to a heavier division seeking a title shot should never be something to look down on.
No better time do do it either, as he's not getting any younger.

Those "3 fighters in divisions under CW who actually can beat him" aren't going anywhere anytime soon, and honestly, as good as they appear at the moment, they are faaaarr from having the number of actual actual titles and opponents on their resumes to make them more than Boogeymen.
They are faaaarr from being proven enough to support any argument that they are being avoided, and that any win over them would have more value than another title in a heavier division.

Jeeez..... passing up a shot at another division title to chase a Boogeyman with only 16 or 22 wins is just silly.

Last edited:
Yes i agree it looks great on paper. Thats what Canelo (and his fans) only care about. Padding his paper record. A real fan should want him to clean out his own division first which he never did at 154/160/168/175.

What exactly make those weight classes "his own divisions" as opposed to any others?

Jeeez..... passing up a shot at another division title to chase a Boogeyman with only 16 or 22 wins is just silly.

Its not chasing anything, its cleaning out the division by beating the best fighter at 168 before he joined, which is sort of a big deal. You can't genuinely claim to be the best in a division when you never fought the best there. Its a joke. Anyone who knows boxing knew his Canelo's biggest test in 168 was never going to be callum smith, BJS or Plant.

What exactly make those weight classes "his own divisions" as opposed to any others?

huh? You really don't understand? Its the division a fighter is currently fighting regularly in, especially when he has multiple titles there.

huh? You really don't understand? Its the division a fighter is currently fighting regularly in, especially when he has multiple titles there.
You stated 4 divisions...154/160/168/175
Either way, do you think there is a bigger "prize" currently out there in those divisions worth more than another division title at cruiserweight?

He would be heavily favoured to wreck either of those 2, I know it, you know it.

He would most certainly not be heavily favored

I'm beginning to think people have never actually watched Makabu fight before, Newsflash: He isn't good.

It appears that some people in here, while watching the Bellew vs. Makabu, were unable to distinguish between which fighter was Bellew and which was Makabu. Here's a helpful graphic that should clear up some confusion.
Bellew.jpg

He won't, LMAO. The next weakest opponent that somehow stumbled upon a belt on his way home is who he's gonna fight.

When considering Canelo's mindset, I don't see it being that simple.
I don't see him stopping at CW if he takes out Makabu without any real adversity.
I think he's too hungry to stop at Makabu.
Any critique of this move is based on a belief that he is just going to move up and steal another title and then come back down which is a big assumption to make.
I beg to differ.
His last fights have left him feeling unstoppable, and for valid reasons.
He is seeking boxing GREATNESS.
Every additional CW title will bring him closer to it.
Wins over Benavidez and/or Beterbeast just won't do it.

Hard to believe that anyone familiar with boxing history does not acknowledge how special this move is, and the importance of what it may become.

Its not chasing anything, its cleaning out the division by beating the best fighter at 168 before he joined, which is sort of a big deal. You can't genuinely claim to be the best in a division when you never fought the best there. Its a joke. Anyone who knows boxing knew his Canelo's biggest test in 168 was never going to be callum smith, BJS or Plant.
Yea he should've fought the 3 idiots without belts, so you could've turned around and said he was ducking Callum, BJS, and Plant

It is when there are better fighters available.

You guys crack me up. You really don't see what Canelo and his team are doing? You really think what he's doing is chasing greatness? Lmfao
He has already reached Greatness, now it’s about becoming the Greatest.

Dude will come into the fight at 200 lbs looking like a brick shithouse, and if he can stand up to the power, it’ll be a sight to behold.

I’d rather him take on Breidis, but it makes more sense to see how can do at the weight first.

The weight is technically over 175 pounds. If Makabu contractually agrees to come in at some lower weight that happens to make big fights. Hopefully it isn't a case that the WBC mandates a shift to 190 pounds. That would make a victory that much less of an accomplishment.
One would think that any belt holder at CW would consider meeting at a weight on the lower side, whatever that weight is, considering how much money is involved with fighting Canelo, and that they will likely never have such an opportunity again for such a payday.
Maybe "less" of an accomplishment, but is it not still more of an accomplishment than at any a lower weight?

You stated 4 divisions...154/160/168/175

Oh you still don't get it. Lets try again. His division used to be 154 before he moved up. Then it was 160, now its 168. 175 is not his division because he fought once and left. Kapish?

Either way, do you think there is a bigger "prize" currently out there in those divisions worth more than another division title at cruiserweight?

For the casuals it will be beating a bigger man at cruiser even if he's mediocre at best. For people that know boxing its cleaning out 168 and fighting Benavidez.

One would think that any belt holder at CW would consider meeting at a weight on the lower side, whatever that weight is, considering how much money is involved with fighting Canelo, and that they will likely never have such an opportunity again for such a payday.
Maybe "less" of an accomplishment, but is it not still more of an accomplishment than at any a lower weight?

lol the mental gymnastics canelo fans are using. The WBC literally make up a new fake cruiserweight weight limit and apparently its cool because its still more of an accomplishment than lower? Guess what, its not cruiserweight. Its totally irrelevant what hoops his opponent will jump through to score a pay day, we are talking about the legitimacy of the accomplishment.

For people that know boxing its cleaning out 168 and fighting Benavidez.
I have yet to hear anyone make a compeling argument to support making beating Benavidez a bigger accomplishment than another division title and what may lay ahead after that at CW.
25 wins against nobody's doesn't mean much to "people that know boxing".
Whats your argument for Benevidez being worthy of a shot at Canelo?

Enlighten me please.

I have yet to hear anyone make a compeling argument to support making beating Benavidez a bigger accomplishment than another division title and what may lay ahead after that at CW.
25 wins against nobody's doesn't mean much to "people that know boxing".
Whats your argument for Benevidez being worthy of a shot at Canelo?

Enlighten me please.

Sure, after you tell me why Yilirim was more worthy of a shot than Benavidez...

Actually I don't want to be too hard on you, so I will make the case. Benavidez was generally regarded as the best 168 fighter before Canelo even thought about going to 168. Two time WC who steamrollered every single opponent. Please don't bring up Callum smith, the guy who got beat up by Ryder in his fight right before Canelo chose him when it was clear he was soft as hell.

25 wins against some decent fighters including stopping a two time WC which is more impressive than anything Canelo's previous 168 opponents have done. He does not just win boring decisions he beats all his opponents up, that's a big deal.

Now I want you to make a compelling argument how someone can claim to have cleaned out a division without ever facing the best opponent in that division?

Only casuals put so much value in titles these days when there are 5 in a division and most are vacant title wins. Best way to tell who a casual is when they get a hard on over the title canelo is going to win.

Back